Intersection of Condensed Matter Physics, EE and Technology

In summary, Greetings! I am interested in doing research in semiconductor devices. UCSB has a really strong program in compound semiconductor physics and devices and lots of schools do some work on devices. It's fascinating stuff.
YAHA
Greetings!

I am currently trying to focus my research interests before I begin applying to grad schools this coming fall. When it comes to Physics, I really enjoy Condensed Matter and everything related to it (say, Thermal Physics, Statistical Physics etc).

I also took an Electronics course which was an absolute blast! I loved solving real problems and producing final products that worked! This experience made me want to shift slightly more towards applications, electronic devices, etc.

What areas do you think will allow me to fulfill both the passion for fundamental physics and creative desire to produce tangible things? I am basically asking for some advice and suggestions for some research areas and fields I could look into before this fall.

Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Materials science engineering. Look into it :)

I read a post about accelerator physics, and it seems really promising.

YAHA said:
Greetings!

I am currently trying to focus my research interests before I begin applying to grad schools this coming fall. When it comes to Physics, I really enjoy Condensed Matter and everything related to it (say, Thermal Physics, Statistical Physics etc).

I also took an Electronics course which was an absolute blast! I loved solving real problems and producing final products that worked! This experience made me want to shift slightly more towards applications, electronic devices, etc.

What areas do you think will allow me to fulfill both the passion for fundamental physics and creative desire to produce tangible things? I am basically asking for some advice and suggestions for some research areas and fields I could look into before this fall.

Much appreciated!

You could do research in semiconductor devices. Sounds perfect for your interest. UCSB has a really strong program in compound semiconductor physics and devices and lots of schools do some work on devices. It's fascinating stuff.

carlgrace said:
You could do research in semiconductor devices. Sounds perfect for your interest. UCSB has a really strong program in compound semiconductor physics and devices and lots of schools do some work on devices. It's fascinating stuff.

Very cool! I will surely take a look. Do you know which department that program is under? EE or applied Physics?
Also, since I am not well versed in the field, do you know whether semiconductors are about to be displaced by a better technology (say, the non-existent spin transistor) or are they here to stay?

It's under the EE department. One of the professors (Kroemer) got the Nobel Prize a few years ago for the invention of the compound semiconductor heterostructure. I took QM from him... it was very hard.

I would be highly, highly surprised if semiconductors went away in our lifetimes. A lot of potential new technologies use or can be used with semiconductors. And they are just so darned interesting!

Related to Intersection of Condensed Matter Physics, EE and Technology

What is the intersection of condensed matter physics, EE, and technology?

The intersection of condensed matter physics, electrical engineering, and technology is the overlapping area where principles from these fields are combined and applied to create new devices and technologies. It involves understanding the behavior of materials at a microscopic level, utilizing electrical and electronic components, and using these insights to develop innovative technologies.

Why is the intersection of condensed matter physics, EE, and technology important?

This intersection is important because it allows for the development of new and improved technologies that impact our daily lives. It also helps us better understand the fundamental properties of materials and how they can be manipulated to create useful devices.

What are some examples of technologies that have emerged from this intersection?

Some examples include transistors, which are essential components in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, and solar cells, which convert light energy into electricity. Other examples include magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives, and advanced sensors used in medical imaging and environmental monitoring.

How does research in this intersection contribute to advancements in other fields?

Research in this intersection often leads to new discoveries and breakthroughs that have applications in other fields. For example, advancements in condensed matter physics have contributed to the development of new materials for renewable energy technologies, while advancements in electronic devices have greatly enhanced communication and computing capabilities in various industries.

What are some current challenges and future prospects in this intersection?

One current challenge is developing sustainable and efficient technologies that can meet the increasing demand for energy and resources. In the future, this intersection may lead to the development of new materials with revolutionary properties and the integration of electronic devices into biological systems for medical and health applications.