Intersection of probabilities.

In summary, the probability of a randomly selected individual being either a purchasing manager or male out of a total of 495,000 individuals is 0.6969696969696969696969696969697. This can be calculated as 1 - (the number of financial managers that are female divided by the total number of individuals).
tjera
Hello,

I need help with this problem:

A: 67,000 Purchasing managers that are male
B: 33,000 purchasing managers that are female
C: 245,000 financial managers that are male
D: 150,000 financial managers that are female
Out of these 495.000 individuals , what is the probability that a randomly selected individual is either a purchasing manager or male?

Isn't this:
P(A or B)-P(B or D)?

Books says =0.697.

Can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
tjera said:
Isn't this:
P(A or B)-P(B or D)?

No. How did you get that?

It's probability purchasing manager or male. Which groups are purchasing manager or male?

-How did you get that?
I just thought that might be correct. Purchasing managers, minus, females from purch. managers and financial managers should give the right answer i thought...(i am still not getting these intersection and unions of probability...to confusing).
I also assigned those A,B,C and D, myself t to those categories.
- Which groups are purchasing manager or male?
A is both male and purch. manager, so that would be 0.67, but the book says 0.697.

*confused*

There are at least two ways to do this. First, you could save yourself some calculations by noticing that the only outcome that is not included in your event is D: financial managers that are female. All of the other outcomes include either a purchasing manager or a male. So P(purchasing manager or male) = 1 - P(financial manager that is female). What is P(financial manager that is female)?

tjera said:
A is both male and purch. manager
Yes, but you need "either or", not "and". The people in B are also purchasing managers, and the people in C are also male. So do you not also need to include these?

honestrosewater said:
There are at least two ways to do this. First, you could save yourself some calculations by noticing that the only outcome that is not included in your event is D: financial managers that are female. All of the other outcomes include either a purchasing manager or a male. So P(purchasing manager or male) = 1 - P(financial manager that is female). What is P(financial manager that is female)?

Yes, but you need "either or", not "and". The people in B are also purchasing managers, and the people in C are also male. So do you not also need to include these?

P(financial manager that is female)= P(D)=150

So...what is the definitive way to solve this?:blushing:

tjera said:
Hello,

I need help with this problem:

Out of these 495.000 individuals , what is the probability that a randomly selected individual is either a purchasing manager or male?

Isn't this:
P(A or B)-P(B or D)?

Books says =0.697.

Can someone help please?
There are 495000 individuals, any of whom is equally likely to be chosen. There are a total of 67000+ 33000= 100000 purchasing managers. There are another 245000 who are male. There are a total of 345000 individuals who are either purchasing managers or male. The probability is 345000/495000= 0.6969696969696969696969696969697

That is P(A or B or C). "PA or B) - P(B or D)" would be the number of people who are purchasing managers minus the number of people who are financial managers- which has nothing to do with this question. Now that I look at it more carefully, I see that P(A or B or C) could be calculated more simply as 1- P(D)= 1- 150000/495000= 0.6969696969696969696969696969697 also. Individuals who are "purchasing managers or male" are simply individuals who are "not both purchasing managers and female".

Thank you so much HallsofIvy, that made it very clear! :D

Related to Intersection of probabilities.

1. What is the intersection of probabilities?

The intersection of probabilities is a mathematical concept that refers to the likelihood of two or more events occurring at the same time. It is represented by the symbol "∩" and is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event.

2. How is the intersection of probabilities different from the union of probabilities?

The intersection of probabilities and the union of probabilities are two different ways of combining probabilities of events. The intersection represents the likelihood of two or more events occurring together, while the union represents the likelihood of at least one of the events occurring.

3. Can the intersection of probabilities be greater than 1?

No, the intersection of probabilities cannot be greater than 1. This is because the intersection represents the likelihood of events occurring together, and the maximum probability for any event is 1.

4. How is the intersection of probabilities used in real-life applications?

The intersection of probabilities is commonly used in fields such as statistics, finance, and risk management. It is used to calculate the probability of multiple events occurring simultaneously, which can help in decision making and risk assessment.

5. What is the formula for calculating the intersection of probabilities?

The formula for calculating the intersection of probabilities is P(A∩B) = P(A) * P(B), where P(A) represents the probability of event A occurring and P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring.