[Intro Circuits] Simple problem, finding initial

In summary: I misread the circuit. Your answer is correct.Look at the circuit. The capacitor is an open so the... sorry, my bad. I misread the circuit. Your answer is correct.In summary, the initial conditions at t = 0- DCSS are IL = 0A and VC = 2V. The final conditions at t = ∞ DCSS are IL = -4A and VC = 11V. To find these conditions, the inductor is replaced with a short circuit and the capacitor is replaced with an open circuit. The left side of the circuit will have a voltage of 7V and the right side will have a voltage of 4V indefinitely after
jojo13

Homework Statement

Two independent sources are given. They are active at different times.

Find the conditions at t = 0- DCSS (aka t < 0 DCSS) and t = ∞ DCSS for IL and Vc

U9nbJ1X.jpg

Homework Equations

At DCSS, replace inductor with short circuit
At DCSS, replace capacitor with open circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

So I need to find the initial and final conditions.

Let's start with initial conditions at t = 0- DCSS. The [2 + 5u(t)]V becomes 2 V. The 4u(t) I am not 100% sure about, but I think it becomes a short circuit. Then I replace the inductor and capacitor with a short and open circuit respectively because it is in DCSS.

Is this correct? The switches at 2 + 5u(t) and 4u(t) are giving me a bit of a problem understanding and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

As for the final conditions at t = ∞, I have no clue where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're almost there. Before the "t = 0" event where the 5u(t) and 4u(t) sources switch on, the leftmost voltage source will have been producing 2 V since time began, and the rightmost source will have been producing 0 V (your short circuit) for all that time. So you have to find the steady state conditions for (let's call them) V1 = 2 V and V2 = 0 V.

Do the open capacitor / short inductor analysis and find the voltages and currents.

When t = 0 arrives V1 suddenly becomes 2 V + 5 V = 7 V. V2 becomes 4 V. They stay that way from then on, so to the steady state analysis again with these new sources in place in order to find the conditions at t → ∞.

gneill said:
I think you're almost there. Before the "t = 0" event where the 5u(t) and 4u(t) sources switch on, the leftmost voltage source will have been producing 2 V since time began, and the rightmost source will have been producing 0 V (your short circuit) for all that time. So you have to find the steady state conditions for (let's call them) V1 = 2 V and V2 = 0 V.

Do the open capacitor / short inductor analysis and find the voltages and currents.

When t = 0 arrives V1 suddenly becomes 2 V + 5 V = 7 V. V2 becomes 4 V. They stay that way from then on, so to the steady state analysis again with these new sources in place in order to find the conditions at t → ∞.

Ok thanks, so for the t = 0- DCSS, the 2+5u(t) becomes 2v and the 4u(t) becomes a short.

Now for the t = ∞, the 2+5u(t) becomes 7V and the 4u(t) becomes 4V? I was thinking that the 2+5u(t) becomes 2V and the 4u(t) becomes 4V

u(t) is a unit step function. It's zero for all times before t=0, then 1 for all times t > 0.

So once the u(t)'s have turned on, they stay on.

gneill said:
u(t) is a unit step function. It's zero for all times before t=0, then 1 for all times t > 0.

So once the u(t)'s have turned on, they stay on.

Ahhh I see.

So just to confirm... At both t = 0 and t = ∞, the left side is 7V and the right side is 4V.

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.

jojo13 said:
Ahhh I see.

So just to confirm... At both t = 0 and t = ∞, the left side is 7V and the right side is 4V.

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.
Yup. To be specific, for all time up to and including t = 0- the left side is 2 V and the right is 0 V. At t = 0+ the left side becomes 7 V and the right side 4 V and they stay that way indefinitely.

gneill said:
Yup. To be specific, for all time up to and including t = 0- the left side is 2 V and the right is 0 V. At t = 0+ the left side becomes 7 V and the right side 4 V and they stay that way indefinitely.

ok I think I got the final answers. Mind checking if I did them right. I was a bit confused on the open circuit at VC, so I wanted to make sure it's correct.

At DCSS, replace inductor with short circuit
At DCSS, replace capacitor with open circuit For t = 0- DCSS, I got IL = 0A and VC = 2V

For t = ∞ DCSS, I got IL = -4A and VC = 11V

Looks good except for your Vc at t = ∞. The top end of the resistor should be at 4 V, the left end of the cap at 7V. I don't see an 11 V difference there...

gneill said:
Looks good except for your Vc at t = ∞. The top end of the resistor should be at 4 V, the left end of the cap at 7V. I don't see an 11 V difference there...

Hmm, I must have done a sign error or something, this is the work I did for it

iitbqhi.jpg

I first found IL which was -4 A. Then I did KVL on the left side which I found to be -VC + 7V - V1 = 0. I subsituted V1 to be (-4 A)*(1 ohm) and solved for the rest. Ended up with 11V.

jojo13 said:
Hmm, I must have done a sign error or something, this is the work I did for it

iitbqhi.jpg

I first found IL which was -4 A. Then I did KVL on the left side which I found to be -VC + 7V - V1 = 0. I subsituted V1 to be (-4 A)*(1 ohm) and solved for the rest. Ended up with 11V.
-VC + 7V - V1 = 0.

that's your problem. take another look at that equation

Look at the circuit. The capacitor is an open so the only current path is for the 4V supply through the resistor. As you say, IL is -4 A, so it's flowing down through the resistor leaving +4 V at its top end. That's the right side of the cap. The left side of the cap is fixed at +7V.

donpacino said:
-VC + 7V - V1 = 0.

that's your problem. take another look at that equation

gneill said:
Look at the circuit. The capacitor is an open so the only current path is for the 4V supply through the resistor. As you say, IL is -4 A, so it's flowing down through the resistor leaving +4 V at its top end. That's the right side of the cap. The left side of the cap is fixed at +7V.

-VC + 7V + V1 = 0.

VC = 3 V

Related to [Intro Circuits] Simple problem, finding initial

1. What is the definition of "initial" in the context of introductory circuits?

"Initial" refers to the starting or beginning values of a circuit, such as the initial voltage or current at a specific point in the circuit.

2. How do I find the initial values in a simple circuit problem?

To find the initial values in a simple circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. First, determine the resistances, voltages, and currents in the circuit. Then, use these values to calculate the initial values at specific points in the circuit.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the initial values in a circuit?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the initial values in a circuit. In fact, using a calculator can make the calculations much easier and faster.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding initial values in a circuit?

Some common mistakes when finding initial values in a circuit include forgetting to account for resistances or using incorrect values for voltage or current. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure all values are correct.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding initial values in a circuit?

Yes, one shortcut for finding initial values in a circuit is to use the voltage divider rule for resistors in series. This can help simplify the calculations and save time. It is important to understand the fundamentals of circuit analysis before using shortcuts or tricks.