Intro to Astronomy & Astrophysics

In summary: Fundamental Astronomy is great and will cover everything you need at a high level. Shu is okay but is a little outdated. Caroll/Ostlie is the bomb though. It's the only one I have though. It's pretty much the standard. Plus it cost me $C200.
Nusc
Introductory Astronomy & Astrophysics by Zeilkik and Gregory 4th edition.

What are your opinions on this book?

As far as I know the field has changed dramatically over the years and I was wondering if I should get a better or newer book since it was published in 98. I also heard it had a lot of errors in it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I haven't used their book, but I will recommend Carrol and Ostlie's book Modern Astrophysics (or Modern Stellar Astrophysics which is just the first half of the other book, otherwise the same). Its a very good overview text.

franznietzsche said:
I haven't used their book, but I will recommend Carrol and Ostlie's book Modern Astrophysics (or Modern Stellar Astrophysics which is just the first half of the other book, otherwise the same). Its a very good overview text.

Agreed. Consider also:

http://www.uscibooks.com/shu1.htm"

This one's by Frank Shu. It's a bit dated, but has been shown to be quite good for graduate students reviewing the basic material for their general exams. Most of the basics of astronomy and astrophysics can be learned from older texts. I find the main downfall of older review texts (including Carroll & Ostlie) is their poor coverage of cosmology. The field has exploded in recent times, so you might want to consider getting a separate book that deals only with cosmology. I've yet to see a text that does a satisfactory job of this at a low level, so if anyone else has a suggestion...

Last edited by a moderator:
My list is not much different
Introductory Astronomy & Astrophysics by Zeilik, Gregory & Smith
Fundamental Astronomy by Karttunen, Kroger, Oja, Poutanen & Donner
The Physical Universe, An Introduction to Astronomy by Shu
My only gripe about Shu is it's a bit outdated.

My classes have recommended having all of Zeilik/Gregory, Caroll/Ostlie and Shu.

The only one I have is C/O though. It's pretty much the standard. Plus it cost me $C200. Great book though. A little on the old side but still very solid.

Zeilik/Gregory is a little on the hand wavy side I think.

FAQ: Intro to Astronomy & Astrophysics

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe, while astrophysics is the study of the physical processes and properties of those celestial objects. In other words, astronomy focuses on observation and description, while astrophysics delves deeper into the underlying physics and mechanisms.

2. How does the study of astronomy and astrophysics benefit society?

The study of astronomy and astrophysics has many practical applications that benefit society. For example, the development of satellite technology for space exploration has also led to advancements in communication, weather forecasting, and navigation. Additionally, studying the universe can help us better understand our place in it and potentially lead to new discoveries and innovations.

3. What are the main branches of astronomy and astrophysics?

The main branches of astronomy include observational astronomy, which involves collecting and analyzing data from telescopes and other instruments, and theoretical astronomy, which uses mathematical models to explain and predict astronomical phenomena. Astrophysics branches off from these two main branches and focuses more specifically on the physics of celestial objects and phenomena.

4. What is the role of mathematics in astronomy and astrophysics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in astronomy and astrophysics, as it allows us to make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of celestial objects. From calculating the orbits of planets to understanding the properties of stars and galaxies, mathematics is essential in these fields of study.

5. How do astronomers and astrophysicists gather data and conduct research?

Astronomers and astrophysicists use a variety of tools and methods to gather data and conduct research. These include telescopes, both on Earth and in space, as well as other instruments such as spectrometers and detectors. Researchers also use computer simulations and mathematical models to study and analyze data collected from observations.

Back