Intro To Electrodynamics, Griffiths #1.9, me TRANSFORMATION LAW QUESTION

In summary, the problem comes from the Intro to electrodynamics, 3rd edition, griffiths. The problem is number 1.9. The transformation matrix R that descries a rotation by 120 degrees about an axis from the origin through the point (1,1,1) the rotation is clockwise as you look down at the axis from the origin. The Attempt at a Solution is to use the transformation law to solve for R. I know that the solution is 0 0 1.
SBoskovi
I would just like to start off by saying the problem comes from Intro to electrodynamics, 3rd edition, griffiths. the problem is number 1.9.

Question: Find the transformation matrix R that descries a rotation by 120 degrees about an axis from the origin through the point (1,1,1) the rotation is clockwise as you look down at the axis from the origin.

Homework Statement

A(bar)x=Az
A(bar)z=Ay
A(bar)y=Ax

Homework Equations

Transformation law =

A(bar)x Rxx Rxy Rxz Ax
A(bar)y = Ryx Ryy Ryz Ay
A(bar)z Rzx Rzy Rzz Az

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the solution is

R= 0 0 1
1 0 0
0 1 0

I am confused on how you get this? I have been trying to figure this out for a while. I know that i am over looking something here because it should be a very simple problem to do...

I have been looking at this problem for a long period of time...

I DO HAVE THE ANSWER KEY TO THE BOOK AND I DO HAVE CRAMSTER; I JUST CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS ANSWER... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT! The answers that the answer key and Cramster provide as missing information to the point where I cannot follow what has occurred.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try breaking that rotation down into rotations for which you do know how to write the matrices down.

i know how the matrix is suppose to work,

the

Az=Rxx multiplies the Ax + Rxy multiplies the Ay + Rxz multiplies the Az
Ax=Ryx multiplies the Ax + Ryy multiplies the Ay + Ryz multiplies the Az
Ay=Rzx multiplies the Ax + Rzy multiplies the Ay + Rzz multiplies the Az\

^^ I understand what is going on there, simple..^^

but this is where i am getting confused, how do you end up with these actual numbers?

this results in

Rxx= 0 Rxy= 1 Rxz=0
Ryx= 1 Ryy= 0 Ryz=0
Rzx= 0 Rzy= 1 Rzz=0

HOW? Please help me out?

This is not a homework problem, this is me trying to learn from the book and reading through the problem. I have tried to ask my professor for help but he refuses to help me on such a "simple" problem...

If you don't feel comfortable explaining it to me on the actual forum bc someone might use it as the homework answer you can PM. Please i am really confused

There's a solution manual online.
I used it when I took this course to practise for the final and midterm (since we didn't have questions assigned from the textbook). You might want to consider downloading it.

Try google-ing the name of the textbook and solution manual.

I have the solutions manual, and I also have Cramster.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN JUST GETTING THE ANSWER, I AM INTERESTED IN FIGURING OUT HOW TO DO THE PROBLEM. I USE THE ANSWER KEY TO FOLLOW MY WORK AND ONCE I GET STUCK TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THIS PROBLEM I AM JUST PLAIN OUT STUCK AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED.

Right, I only suggested it because they have step by step solutions and I remember it being helpful in solving problems.

SBoskovi said:
This is not a homework problem, this is me trying to learn from the book and reading through the problem. I have tried to ask my professor for help but he refuses to help me on such a "simple" problem...

If you don't feel comfortable explaining it to me on the actual forum bc someone might use it as the homework answer you can PM. Please i am really confused
Like I said earlier, break it into several separate rotations.

IMO, this problem's answer is HARD. How the hell did the book get [(001);(100);(010)]? Only thing I can think of is the vector is sweeping through two of those cubes from pg 6

Anyways,if you want to actually get a decent *generic* translation, use a rotation matrix for X, Y and Z axis. Generate them using the method dilineated in the book. Apply them in succession.

For instance, the actual answer to the problem would be:

A*Xrot(-120)*Xrot(45)*Yrot(45)*Zrot(45) = A-bar.

Last edited:

SBoskovi said:

Homework Statement

A(bar)x=Az
A(bar)z=Ay
A(bar)y=Ax

Homework Equations

Transformation law =

A(bar)x Rxx Rxy Rxz Ax
A(bar)y = Ryx Ryy Ryz Ay
A(bar)z Rzx Rzy Rzz Az

Consider the vector A = (1, 0, 0). What are the components of this vector in the rotated frame (i.e., what are the components of A(bar))?

Substitute these into your transformation law and deduce the value of some of the matrix elements of R.

Construct a couple of other vectors A that will allow you to find the other components of R.

Last edited:

This problem was solved analytically. Meaning it has nothing to do with rotation matrices and math and everything to do with the fact that the vector was precisely (1,1,1), and the degree distance was precisely 120 degrees.

One is supposed to notice that the vector 1,1,1 is 60 degrees away from each axis. Looking down the Vector, 360 degrees appears to be divided into 3 parts instead of 4.

Each of the 3 parts is 120 degrees. Thus a 120 degree rotation will move a vector from one set of quadrants to another...no editing of values...no component dependencies...no deductions...just irrelevant trickiness...

(well maybe not completely irrelevant...)

Its much the same thing one would do when told to rotate something 180 degrees around one of the axis.

Last edited:

There's a clever trick to this problem as cdonlan87 said. Don't try to get the generalized transformation matrix. It is indeed possible, but it would take you several hours. Think about this problem closely. (1,1,1) is a very special location, and 120 degrees is 1/3 of 360. Instead of thinking of the axis as you normally would, think of yourself looking down at the origin from (1,1,1). If that image was projected on a plane, what are the angles between the x, y, and z axes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how the vector is 60 degrees to each axis.

cosx^2+cosy^2+cosz^2=1

All three angles are the same, so 3(cosx)^2=1
which gives an angle of 54.7 degrees.

Superman1271 said:
I don't understand how the vector is 60 degrees to each axis.

cosx^2+cosy^2+cosz^2=1

All three angles are the same, so 3(cosx)^2=1
which gives an angle of 54.7 degrees.

You are right, the angle is 54.7o.

Related to Intro To Electrodynamics, Griffiths #1.9, me TRANSFORMATION LAW QUESTION

1. What is the transformation law in electrodynamics?

The transformation law in electrodynamics is a mathematical relationship that describes how electric and magnetic fields change when viewed from different reference frames. It is based on the principles of special relativity and helps to explain the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What is the significance of Griffiths #1.9 in electrodynamics?

Griffiths #1.9 is an exercise problem in the first chapter of "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It deals with the transformation law for the electric and magnetic fields in special relativity and is an important concept in understanding electromagnetic theory.

3. How does the transformation law affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

The transformation law has a major impact on the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It explains how the speed of light remains constant in all inertial reference frames, and how the electric and magnetic fields change when observed from different frames. This allows us to understand how electromagnetic waves propagate through space and interact with matter.

4. Can the transformation law be applied to other quantities besides electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, the transformation law can be applied to other quantities that transform under special relativity, such as energy, momentum, and mass. This helps to explain the behavior of these quantities in different reference frames and is a fundamental concept in modern physics.

5. How is the transformation law related to the Lorentz transformation?

The transformation law and the Lorentz transformation are closely related, as they both describe the changes in physical quantities under special relativity. The Lorentz transformation is a set of equations that describe how time, space, and velocity change between two reference frames, while the transformation law specifically applies to electric and magnetic fields.