Introducing Myself - Science & Maths Background

• Thread starter PowerBuilder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introductory
In summary, PowerBuilder has recently become interested in chemistry and is looking for a clan to join. He has a poor math/science background, but is hoping to learn more here. He is also interested in fish, and has been slapped by a Croc Fish.
PowerBuilder
Hey everyone.

I thought I'd finally sign up, since I've been lurking here for quite some time.

In terms of my maths / science background, it's somewhat poor. I recently became friends with a physicist who peeked my interest in chemistry. Over the last few weeks I've learned more about org chem than I did in my 4 years at high school.

Don't get me wrong, I completed my higher eduction (year 12), I just didn't 'want' to learn about it. Fast forward 12 years...and I have a burning interest in it.

*Mods, feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong area!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, PowerBuilder!

Hi PowerBuilder and welcome on the forums! :smile:

I hope you'll learn a lot of math/physics here!

And, as an aside, what is your favorite fish??

micromass said:
Hi PowerBuilder and welcome on the forums! :smile:

I hope you'll learn a lot of math/physics here!

And, as an aside, what is your favorite fish??

Ought ohh, here we go again, anyone taking bets we will scare PowerBuilder (PB) away ?

We have had a pretty good track record lately of scaring off new members, hopefully PB, you will weather the storm, hehe.

In any event, welcome hope you like it here, stay and contribute, and learn a thing or two along the way.

Rhody... :wink:

rhody said:
Ought ohh, here we go again, anyone taking bets we will scare PowerBuilder (PB) away ?

We have had a pretty good track record lately of scaring off new members, hopefully PB, you will weather the storm, hehe.

Hey, our initiation is not for the faint-hearted :-p

Welcome to the clan PowerBuilder. Only 12 years of fast forwarding? Plenty of time left for learning the good stuff.

Welcome to PF PowerBuilder. :smile:

Thanks everyone.

Fav' fish ? thogh one. Is there some type of inside joke that I'm not familiar with? I don't think I could pigeon hole a single species since there's a lot out there (and even more that are now extinct). One family I'm quite fond of is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channichthyidae" . I love how it's evolved to survive in such cold water!

It really is amazing what can be made after several million years!

dlgoff said:
Welcome to the clan PowerBuilder. Only 12 years of fast forwarding? Plenty of time left for learning the good stuff.

Thanks. I plan on being alive and active for quite some time...so catching up on 12 years...while seems like a lot of work...I have a good bit of time to do it. It's not like craming for a test that I have to do tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I think you're the first new member to choose the crocodile icefish...

*lisab smacks PowerBuilder upside the head with a Channichthyidae*

Now you've been officially welcomed :smile:!

*slaps PB with the Channo... Channa... never mind*

[URL]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/055/f/6/Monty_Python_II__Fish_Slap_II__by_dwightyoakamfan.gif[/URL]

Hey! Where is the punch line fish? :biggrin:

micromass said:
*slaps PB with the Channo... Channa... never mind*

[PLAIN]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/055/f/6/Monty_Python_II__Fish_Slap_II__by_dwightyoakamfan.gif[/QUOTE]

You call that a slap?

http://files.myopera.com/Chyren/files/fishSlap1a.gif

Now he's official.

Thanks everyone.

I must say, it's the first time I've ever been slapped around by a fish! There's a first time for everything!

This internetz thing is pretty cool. I wish I had it when I was at school. I would've hopefully have done better. I'm finding myself now researching stuff...and when I come across a concept or phrase that I'm not familiar with or too sure about it, I take the time to go back a step or two to re-learn stuff. Ie I'm getting my head around the formal charging of electrons & have quickly bumped into ion's...which has taken me back for a moment about covalent bonding.

Who's been slapped by which fish ?

PowerBuilder said:
Thanks everyone.

I must say, it's the first time I've ever been slapped around by a fish! There's a first time for everything!

This internetz thing is pretty cool. I wish I had it when I was at school. I would've hopefully have done better. I'm finding myself now researching stuff...and when I come across a concept or phrase that I'm not familiar with or too sure about it, I take the time to go back a step or two to re-learn stuff. Ie I'm getting my head around the formal charging of electrons & have quickly bumped into ion's...which has taken me back for a moment about covalent bonding.

Who's been slapped by which fish ?

Hmm good question. I was slapped by a small oily fish, I think it was an anchovy.

We all have...Actually I don't think I haven't because I am cool that way! x)

*Slaps PowerBuilder with Croc Fish* Yee! Haha!

Welcome to PF PowerBuilder! Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

What a strange tradition! There are stranger rituals / traditions though...

Imagine the ritual for becoming an admin/mentor/HW Helper LOL! xD

Hmmm...it's possible too early for me to be promoted!

Ivan92 said:
Imagine the ritual for becoming an admin/mentor/HW Helper LOL! xD

You don't even want to know what Astronuc and I had to pass through.

Related to Introducing Myself - Science & Maths Background

1. What is your educational background in science and math?

I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology and a Master's degree in Biotechnology. I also have a minor in Mathematics.

2. How did you become interested in science and math?

I have always been curious about how things work and have a passion for problem-solving. Science and math allow me to use critical thinking skills to understand and explain the world around me.

3. What research have you conducted in the field of science and math?

During my graduate studies, I conducted research on the use of stem cells for tissue regeneration. I also participated in a project studying the genetics of a rare disease. In terms of math, I have worked on projects involving statistical analysis and mathematical modeling.

4. How do you stay updated on the latest developments in science and math?

I regularly attend conferences, seminars, and workshops related to my field of study. I also read scientific journals and publications and follow prominent scientists and mathematicians on social media.

5. Can you give an example of how you have applied your knowledge of science and math in a practical setting?

During my internship at a biotech company, I used my understanding of molecular biology to help develop a new diagnostic test for a genetic disorder. I also utilized my knowledge of statistical analysis to analyze data for a clinical trial. These experiences have shown me the real-world applications of science and math in improving healthcare and solving complex problems.