Introduction to Analysis by Bilodeau. Problem 1.3.3

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a fixed non-negative real number x and positive real numbers ε, where it is stated that for all ε, 0≤x<ε. The person is struggling to find a proof for this statement, and their initial attempt involved making cases to prove the statement. However, their professor advised against this approach and suggested starting with the assumption 0<x and working towards proving that x=0. The conversation then delves into a discussion of finding a specific ε that is less than every positive number, and the person eventually realizes that this is not possible, leading to a proof by contradiction.
Phylosopher
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I couldn't find more informative title!

I find difficulties with proofs. So my solution might be weird

The problem says
"Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤ε<x. Show that x=0."

My attempt was:
Assume 0≤x and x <ε
Case 1:
0 <x
For evey ε, 0<x and x <ε is false

Case 2:
0=x
For evey ε, 0=x and x <ε is trueMy professor was not happy with making cases to proof the statement, and he said this is not a real proof. He suggested starting with the assumption 0 <x and from that I proof 0=x is the wanted fixed non negative real number that satisfies the statement.

I am confused. How am I supposed to proof it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you check the problem statement ?
Phylosopher said:
all positive real numbers ε, 0≤ε<x
1 is a positive real number, but 0≤ε<0 is definitely not right for ε = 1

Phylosopher said:
The problem says
"Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤ε<x. Show that x=0."

You've got this the wrong way round. That would force ##x## to be infinite. Instead, you should have:

##\forall \epsilon > 0, \ x < \epsilon##

For the solution, did you consider a proof by contradiction?

BvU said:
Can you check the problem statement ?
1 is a positive real number, but 0≤ε<0 is definitely not right for ε = 1

Oh sorry, you are right.

The question should be the following:
"Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤x<ε. Show that x=0."

PeroK said:
You've got this the wrong way round. That would force ##x## to be infinite. Instead, you should have:

##\forall \epsilon > 0, \ x < \epsilon##

For the solution, did you consider a proof by contradiction?

Sorry, I wrote the wrong way.

"Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤x<ε. Show that x=0."

Phylosopher said:
Oh sorry, you are right.

Sorry, I wrote the wrong way.

Any ideas about a proof? First, perhaps, can you see and explain why it's true?

PeroK said:
Any ideas about a proof? First, perhaps, can you see and explain why it's true?

Discussion:
x fixed non-negative real number
ε is a positive real number

There exist no fixed non-negative real number x such that it's less than every positive number ε, except 0.

My Proof:

Assume 0≤x and x <ε
Case 1:
0 <x
For every ε, 0<x and x <ε is false (Since there is always a positive number that is less than x "i.e x >ε" when 0<x. Another way to state it would be that since x and ε here are both positive real numbers, there will always be x >ε an x <ε which is a contradiction with one of the axioms)

Case 2:
0=x
For every ε, 0=x and x <ε is true (Since x <ε, ε≠0 "Axiom". Thus 0<ε is always true since by definition a positive real number is ε>0 )

Phylosopher said:
My Proof:

Assume 0≤x and x <ε
Case 1:
0 <x
For every ε, 0<x and x <ε is false (Since there is always a positive number that is less than x "i.e x >ε" when 0<x. Another way to state it would be that since x and ε here are both positive real numbers, there will always be x >ε an x <ε which is a contradiction with one of the axioms)

I think you've got the idea, but this proof is not really right. You need to think about a specific ##\epsilon## if ##x > 0##. Any ideas?

PeroK said:
I think you've got the idea, but this proof is not really right. You need to think about a specific ##\epsilon## if ##x > 0##. Any ideas?

Well. This is confusing for me! I am supposed to find a fixed x, why should I search for a fixed ε?

Since x>0 is assumed, 0<x<ε. There is no such fixed ε that satisfy 0<x<ε for all x.

Phylosopher said:
Well. This is confusing for me! I am supposed to find a fixed x, why should I search for a fixed ε?

Since x>0 is assumed, 0<x<ε. There is no such fixed ε that satisfy 0<x<ε for all x.

Okay, I claim that ##10^{-6}## is a number that is less than every positive number. How would you disprove that?

PeroK said:
Okay, I claim that ##10^{-6}## is a number that is less than every positive number. How would you disprove that?

I would say that 10-7 is less than 10-6, thus 10-6 is not less than every positive number

Phylosopher said:
I would say that 10-7 is less than 10-6, thus 10-6 is not less than every positive number

Okay, so what about ##10^{-8}##?

PeroK said:
Okay, so what about ##10^{-8}##?

A number that is less than 10-7, but yet not less than 10-9, which mean it is not less than every positive number

Phylosopher said:
A number that is less than 10-7, but yet not less than 10-9, which mean it is not less than every positive number

So, using what you've done for these numbers, what about any number ##x > 0##? Why isn't that less than every positive number?

PeroK said:
So, using what you've done for these numbers, what about any number ##x > 0##? Why isn't that less than every positive number?

Because there is always a positive real number that is less than x. It also can be shown by number line: Since x>0, x/2>0 and thus x/2<x. So there is always a positive number that is less than another positive number.

Phylosopher said:
Because there is always a positive real number that is less than x. It also can be shown by number line: Since x>0, x/2>0 and thus x/2<x. So there is always a positive number that is less than another positive number.

Yes. Note you also have ##x \not < x##. In other words, any positive ##x## is not less than itself.

Can you do the proof now?

PeroK said:
Yes. Note you also have ##x \not < x##. In other words, any positive ##x## is not less than itself.

Can you do the proof now?
Proof:
let x>0
there exit ε for any x, 0<x<ε | this is false since there exit x>ε, which contradicts with an Axiom.
Thus x=0 is the only non-negative real number x that satisfies 0≤x<ε (0=0<ε).

Phylosopher said:
Proof:
let x>0
there exit ε for any x, 0<x<ε | this is false since there exit x>ε, which contradicts with an Axiom.
Thus x=0 is the only non-negative real number x that satisfies 0≤x<ε (0=0<ε).

What happened to ##x/2##?

PeroK said:
What happened to ##x/2##?

for x>0, x/2>0 which is still not less than all positive numbers ε
for x=0, x/2=0 which is less than all positive numbers

Phylosopher said:
for x>0, x/2>0 which is still not less than all positive numbers ε
for x=0, x/2=0 which is less than all positive numbers

No, you haven't understood the idea at all. It's difficult now to give you any more hints. Let me give you a written answer and you can try to translate that into maths:

Suppose ##x## is greater than zero, then ##x## is not less than ##x/2##, which is itself a positive number, so ##x## is not less than all positive numbers ...

Likes BvU and Phylosopher

Related to Introduction to Analysis by Bilodeau. Problem 1.3.3

1. What is "Introduction to Analysis by Bilodeau"?

"Introduction to Analysis by Bilodeau" is a textbook written by Dr. Louis Bilodeau that covers the fundamentals of mathematical analysis. It is commonly used in introductory analysis courses at universities and is known for its clear explanations and examples.

2. What is Problem 1.3.3 about?

Problem 1.3.3 is a specific problem in the textbook "Introduction to Analysis by Bilodeau" that covers the concept of limit of a sequence. It asks the reader to prove the convergence of a given sequence using the definition of limit.

3. How can I solve Problem 1.3.3?

To solve Problem 1.3.3, you will need to have a solid understanding of the definition of limit and how it applies to sequences. Make sure to carefully read the problem and understand what it is asking for. Then, use your knowledge of the definition of limit to prove the convergence of the given sequence.

4. Are there any tips for solving Problem 1.3.3?

One helpful tip for solving Problem 1.3.3 is to start by writing down the definition of limit and identifying the key components of the problem, such as the sequence and the target limit. You can also try working backwards from the desired result to see what steps you need to take to reach that conclusion.

5. How can I use Problem 1.3.3 to improve my understanding of analysis?

Problem 1.3.3 is a great opportunity to practice applying the definition of limit to a specific sequence. By solving this problem, you will strengthen your understanding of this concept and be better prepared for future analysis problems. Additionally, taking the time to understand and solve this problem will help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in analysis and other mathematical disciplines.