Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths, David

In summary, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths, David is an accessible and comprehensive introduction to the fundamental principles and concepts of quantum mechanics. It is suitable for beginners, assuming no prior knowledge of the subject, but some familiarity with calculus and linear algebra would be helpful. The book includes exercises and problems for practice, as well as real-life applications of quantum mechanics. It can also be used as a textbook for college courses on the subject.
pivoxa15
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
by
Griffiths, David

seems to be the best intro to a 'proper' QM I've seen. It is so user friendly. Although very expensive. Anyone seen better ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Cohen-Tannoudji.

try the search engine, questions about which are the best QM books are abundant.

I agree that Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths is a highly informative and user-friendly introduction to the field. It covers the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to both students and researchers. However, I understand your concern about its high price. There are certainly other good introductory books on quantum mechanics available, but in my opinion, Griffiths' book stands out for its clarity and comprehensiveness. I suggest looking for used copies or checking if your institution's library has a copy available. Ultimately, the knowledge and understanding gained from this book will be invaluable in your study of quantum mechanics.

FAQ: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths, David

1. What is the main focus of "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths, David?

The main focus of this book is to provide an accessible and comprehensive introduction to the fundamental principles and concepts of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as wave-particle duality, the Schrödinger equation, and quantum measurements.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Yes, this book is designed for beginners in quantum mechanics. It assumes no prior knowledge of the subject and presents the material in a clear and understandable manner. However, some familiarity with calculus and linear algebra would be helpful.

3. Does the book include exercises and problems for practice?

Yes, the book includes a wide range of exercises and problems at the end of each chapter to help readers practice and reinforce their understanding of the material. Solutions to selected problems are also provided at the end of the book.

4. Are there any real-life applications of quantum mechanics discussed in the book?

Yes, the book includes discussions and examples of real-life applications of quantum mechanics, such as in the fields of chemistry, material science, and electronics. These applications help readers understand the relevance and importance of quantum mechanics in our daily lives.

5. Can this book be used as a textbook for a college course on quantum mechanics?

Yes, this book is commonly used as a textbook for introductory courses on quantum mechanics at the college level. It provides a solid foundation in the subject and includes a variety of exercises and problems for students to practice and apply their knowledge.