Introduction to RAD (Rapid Application Development)

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the speed of a bicycle given the radius of its tires and its rate of rotation. The expert calculated the speed to be approximately 15.5 miles per hour by converting the units and using the formula 2πr. They also mentioned that "rev" is not a unit measure and can be cancelled out in the calculation.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
The tires of a bicycle have radius of $13 \text{ in}$ and are turning at a rate of
$\displaystyle\frac{200\text{ rev}}{\text{min}}$

How fast is the bicycle traveling in
$\displaystyle\frac{\text{mi}}{\text{hr}}$

well my try on this is.

$
\displaystyle 26\pi\text{ in }
\cdot
\frac{200\text{ rev}}{\text {min}}
\cdot
\frac{\text {ft}}{12\text{ in}}
\cdot
\frac{\text {mi}}{5280\text{ ft}}
\cdot
\frac{60\text { min}}{\text{ hr}}
\approx\frac{15.5\text { mi}}{\text{ hr}}
$
no answer given so hope this is it..:cool:
assume "rev" not a unit measure but doesn't cancel out so its not carried thru..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: speed of a Bicycle

karush said:
The tires of a bicycle have radius of $13 \text{ in}$ and are turning at a rate of
$\displaystyle\frac{200\text{ rev}}{\text{min}}$

How fast is the bicycle traveling in
$\displaystyle\frac{\text{mi}}{\text{hr}}$

well my try on this is.

$
\displaystyle 26\pi\text{ in }
\cdot
\frac{200\text{ rev}}{\text {min}}
\cdot
\frac{\text {ft}}{12\text{ in}}
\cdot
\frac{\text {mi}}{5280\text{ ft}}
\cdot
\frac{60\text { min}}{\text{ hr}}
\approx\frac{15.5\text { mi}}{\text{ hr}}
$
no answer given so hope this is it..:cool:
assume "rev" not a unit measure but doesn't cancel out so its not carried thru..

Yep. That is it.
And indeed, "rev" is not a unit measure - it's dimensionless.
Or if you want, you have $2\pi \cdot 13 \text{ in/rev}$, making it cancel out nicely.

Re: speed of a Bicycle

I like Serena said:
Yep. That is it.
And indeed, "rev" is not a unit measure - it's dimensionless.
Or if you want, you have $2\pi \cdot 13 \text{ in/rev}$, making it cancel out nicely.

cool tip..

I am going to start another thread with one that is:confused: to me. I don't understand RAD...

FAQ: Introduction to RAD (Rapid Application Development)

1. What is the average speed of a bicycle at 15.5 miles per hour?

The average speed of a bicycle is typically calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. In this case, a bicycle traveling at 15.5 miles per hour would cover a distance of 15.5 miles in one hour.

2. How does the terrain affect the speed of a bicycle traveling at 15.5 miles per hour?

The terrain can greatly impact the speed of a bicycle. On flat and smooth surfaces, a bicycle may be able to maintain a constant speed of 15.5 miles per hour. However, on hilly or rough terrain, the speed may fluctuate as the cyclist navigates through different elevations and obstacles.

3. Is 15.5 miles per hour considered a fast speed for a bicycle?

The speed of 15.5 miles per hour can be considered a moderate to fast speed for a bicycle. It is faster than the average walking speed (3-4 miles per hour) but slower than the average running speed (6-8 miles per hour). Professional cyclists can maintain speeds of 25-28 miles per hour, so 15.5 miles per hour may not be considered fast for them.

4. Can a bicycle maintain a constant speed of 15.5 miles per hour?

It is possible for a bicycle to maintain a constant speed of 15.5 miles per hour, but it may require a certain level of skill and fitness from the rider. Factors such as terrain, wind, and fatigue can also affect the ability to maintain a constant speed.

5. How does the weight of a bicycle affect its speed at 15.5 miles per hour?

The weight of a bicycle can affect its speed at 15.5 miles per hour. A lighter bicycle will require less effort from the rider to maintain the speed, while a heavier bicycle may require more effort. However, the weight of the rider and their technique also play a significant role in the overall speed of the bicycle.