Introduction to Topology by Mendelson

In summary, "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson is a comprehensive and clear introduction to metric spaces and point-set topology, and is a more affordable option compared to other textbooks such as Munkres. It provides better intuition for those with less background in analysis.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This book is a fairly solid introduction to topology but not nearly as expansive as Munkres, but it's also 1/13th the cost.

I think this is a very nice, crystal-clear introduction to metric spaces and basic point-set topology. For the topics it covers, I like it better than Munkres, and I find it much easier to find things quickly when I need them. And hell, if you're in the US, you can't beat the $5.62 price at Amazon.

I like this book. Munkres is good but this book is a gentler start. It has better intuition for people coming in without as much knowledge of analysis.

As a fellow scientist, I highly recommend Bert Mendelson's Introduction to Topology as a valuable resource for undergraduate students. This book provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the fascinating field of topology.

Mendelson's writing style is clear and concise, making complex concepts easy to understand. The book covers a wide range of topics, from basic set theory to more advanced topics such as homotopy and fundamental groups. The inclusion of numerous examples and exercises throughout each chapter allows readers to apply their knowledge and deepen their understanding.

One aspect that sets this book apart is its emphasis on geometric intuition. Mendelson does an excellent job of using visual aids and diagrams to help readers develop a strong intuition for topological concepts. This approach makes the material more engaging and easier to grasp for students who may be new to the subject.

The book also includes a chapter on applications of topology, which showcases the practical relevance of this field in areas such as physics, computer science, and biology. This chapter not only demonstrates the real-world applications of topology but also highlights the interdisciplinary nature of this field.

In conclusion, Introduction to Topology by Mendelson is a highly recommended read for any undergraduate student interested in topology. Its clear writing style, comprehensive coverage of topics, and emphasis on geometric intuition make it an invaluable resource for learning this fascinating subject.

Related to Introduction to Topology by Mendelson

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric shapes and spaces that are preserved under continuous transformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending. It focuses on the properties of objects that remain unchanged even when they are deformed.

2. Who is Mendelson?

Mendelson is the author of the book "Introduction to Topology," which is a well-known and widely used textbook for learning the fundamentals of topology. He is also a professor of Mathematics at Queens College in New York.

3. What topics are covered in "Introduction to Topology" by Mendelson?

The book covers topics such as set theory, topological spaces, continuity and convergence, connectedness and compactness, separation properties, and metrizability. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand the concepts better.

4. Is "Introduction to Topology" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Introduction to Topology" is a great book for beginners who are interested in learning about topology. The book provides a clear and concise introduction to the subject, making it accessible to readers with no prior knowledge of topology.

5. How can I use "Introduction to Topology" to improve my understanding of topology?

One of the best ways to use "Introduction to Topology" is to work through the examples and exercises in the book. This will help you develop a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used in topology. It is also recommended to read the book in conjunction with other resources, such as lecture notes or online videos, to deepen your knowledge of the subject.