Introduction to Young-tableaux and weight diagrams?

In summary, I am looking for a short pedagogical introduction to Young-tableaux and weight diagrams, with detailed and worked out examples of their applications in physics, specifically in the context of the standard model and beyond. I prefer a dedicated resource that can be easily printed, rather than a heavy general textbook on group theory. The only critical discussion I have found on this topic is in the appendix of Sternberg's book on "group theory and physics".
Dilatino
I am looking for a short pedagogical introduction to Young-tableaux and weight diagrams and the relationship between them, which contains many detailled and worked out examples of how these methods are applied in physics, such as in the context of the standard model and beyond for example.

I am rather looking for a resource that is dedicated specifically to this topics, which I can easily print out, conversely to a heavy general group-theory textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
What don't you like about the PDG treatment?

The only reasonable discussion I am aware off can be found in the appendix in Sternbergs book on "group theory and physics".

Related to Introduction to Young-tableaux and weight diagrams?

1. What is Young-tableaux and weight diagrams?

Young-tableaux and weight diagrams are two tools commonly used in the study of representation theory, a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symmetry in mathematical objects. Young-tableaux are graphical representations used to describe the irreducible representations of a group, while weight diagrams are used to visualize the weight vectors associated with these representations.

2. What is the importance of Young-tableaux and weight diagrams in mathematics?

Young-tableaux and weight diagrams are important tools in representation theory, a fundamental area of mathematics with applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields. They allow for a visual representation of complex mathematical concepts and aid in understanding the symmetry properties of objects, making them essential for studying representation theory.

3. How are Young-tableaux and weight diagrams related?

Young-tableaux and weight diagrams are closely related as they are both used to study the irreducible representations of a group. Young-tableaux provide a graphical way to describe these representations, while weight diagrams illustrate the weight vectors associated with them. Together, they provide a comprehensive understanding of the symmetry properties of a group.

4. What are some real-world applications of Young-tableaux and weight diagrams?

Young-tableaux and weight diagrams have various real-world applications, particularly in physics and chemistry. In physics, they are used to study the symmetries of particles and their interactions. In chemistry, they are used to understand molecular vibrations and electronic structures. Additionally, they have applications in computer science, specifically in coding theory and error correction codes.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning more about Young-tableaux and weight diagrams?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning more about Young-tableaux and weight diagrams. Some recommended resources include introductory textbooks on representation theory, lecture notes and videos from university courses, and online tutorials and interactive tools. These resources can provide a deeper understanding of these concepts and how they are applied in different fields.