Introductory Differential Geometry Book With Lots of Intuition

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of differential geometry and recommendations for introductory books on the subject. One person has a background in analysis and vector calculus, but is looking for a more comprehensive understanding of differential geometry. Recommendations are made for free notes by Ted Shifrin and a book by David Bachman. The conversation also touches on the book "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms" and the Red Book by Mumford. Ultimately, the group agrees that the Red Book is a great resource but may not be sufficient for some readers, and recommends another book by Shafarevich.
Poopsilon
So I took an analysis class which covered chapters 9 and 10 of Rudin's PMA, for those of you who don't know that's multivariable analysis and differential forms, and I have taken a course in vector calculus but never a proper course on differential geometry. Thus my introduction to the subject has been a bit backwards and short on both geometry and intuition.

Thus I was hopping you fine fellows could recommend me a good introductory book on differential geometry which is rigorous, but that will first discuss the geometry of curves and surfaces in R3 in terms of vector analysis, before moving on to differential forms, so that I can properly appreciate the motivation for such abstractions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I highly recommend the free differential geometry notes by Ted Shifrin.

http://www.math.uga.edu/~shifrin/The book by David Bachman of Pitzer College on the geometry of differential forms, read here as a community project some years ago, are excellent for grasping the meaning of this tool.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...words=david+bACHman&x=0&y=0&tag=pfamazon01-20I annoyed some people at the time by pointing out tiny mathematical errors in his exposition, but the book does a great job of what it intends to do, explain the geometry behind differential forms, as well as how to calculate with them.

You're right Mathwonk those notes by Ted Shifrin do look excellent. And while I have your attention, I also took an introductory class on algebraic geometry recently which used Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms, which was a bit too computational for my tastes, and so now I'm looking for something that takes a cleaner more geometric approach to the subject. I was thinking of getting the Red Book by Mumford, what do you think?

that red book is a great book by a fields medalist, and it is superb. having said that, although necessary, it is not sufficient for most of us, who need more examples, and for that i recommend shafarevich, BAG.

Excellent, thanks =].

I also recommend Shifrin's differential geometry. It's short, interestingly and cleverly written.

Related to Introductory Differential Geometry Book With Lots of Intuition

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves, surfaces, and higher-dimensional spaces. It uses tools from calculus and linear algebra to analyze geometric objects and their properties.

Why is intuition important in a differential geometry book?

Intuition plays a crucial role in understanding concepts in differential geometry. It helps readers develop an intuitive understanding of abstract geometric ideas and makes it easier to apply them to real-world problems.

What topics are typically covered in an introductory differential geometry book?

An introductory differential geometry book usually covers topics such as curves, surfaces, tangent spaces, curvature, and geodesics. It may also include applications to physics, engineering, and other fields.

Are there any prerequisites for studying differential geometry?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus is recommended for studying differential geometry. Some books may also require knowledge of topology and differential equations.

How can I improve my understanding of differential geometry?

To improve your understanding of differential geometry, it is essential to practice solving problems and visualizing geometric concepts. Additionally, reading multiple sources and seeking help from a tutor or professor can also enhance your understanding.