Introductory number theory challenge

In summary, the statement $a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n}$ for all $k \in \mathbb{Z}$ holds true when $n = pq$ such that $p$ and $q$ are distinct primes, regardless of the value of $a$ being coprime to $n$. This can be proven using Euler's Theorem and the fact that $a^i \equiv a^j \pmod{n}$ does not necessarily imply $i \equiv j \pmod{n}$.
Nono713
Gold Member
MHB
Let $n = pq$ such that $p$ and $q$ are distinct primes. Let $a$ be coprime to $n$. Show that the following holds:

$$a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n} ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ \text{for all} ~ ~ k \in \mathbb{Z}$$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
One possible proof is by induction. First, we use Euler's Theorem to simplify the statement:

$$a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n} ~ ~ ~ \Longleftrightarrow ~ ~ ~ p^k + q^k \equiv n^k + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

Now, we show that the base case $k = 1$ is true.

$$p + q \equiv n + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

And as $\varphi{(n)} = (p - 1)(q - 1)$, this is true (add $\varphi{(n)}$ to the left hand side).

Now, assume the statement holds for all exponents between $1$ and $k$ inclusive. Then we know that:

$$p^k + q^k \equiv n^k + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

$$p + q \equiv n + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

And so we obtain:

$$(p^k + q^k)(p + q) \equiv (n^k + 1)(n + 1) \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

$$p^{k + 1} + q^{k + 1} + q p^k + p q^k \equiv n^{k + 1} + 1 + n^k + n \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

So we see that if the statement is to hold true for $k + 1$, we just need to show that:

$$q p^k + p q^k \equiv n^k + n \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

Divide this through by $n$, which is valid as $\gcd{(n, \varphi{(n)})} = 1$, thus:

$$p^{k - 1} + q^{k - 1} \equiv n^{k - 1} + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

Which is the statement for $k - 1$, true by assumption! So it also holds for $k + 1$, and by induction holds for all $k > 0$.

Now consider the case $k < 0$. For this step, note that:

$$\left ( p^k + q^k \right ) \cdot n^{-1} \equiv \left ( n^k + 1 \right ) \cdot n^{-1} \pmod{\varphi{(n)}} ~ ~ ~ \Longleftrightarrow ~ ~ ~ q^{-k} p^0 + p^{-k} q^0 \equiv n^0 + n^{-k} \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

$$\therefore ~ ~ p^{-k} + q^{-k} \equiv n^{-k} + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

Showing that if the statement holds for $k$, then it also holds for $-k$. Finally, show the trivial case $k = 0$.

$$\blacksquare$$

Interestingly, this has a connection to the pairs $(x, y)$ which satisfy the following equivalence:

$$x^k + y^k \equiv n^k + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}} ~ ~ ~ \Longleftrightarrow ~ ~ ~ \left ( x + y \right )^k \equiv \left ( n + 1 \right )^k \pmod{\varphi{(n)}} ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ \text{for all} ~ ~ k \in \mathbb{Z}$$

For which any solution $(x, y)$ must be some linear combination of $p$, $q$ and $n - 1$.

Note that the exponent space is not really $\mathbb{Z}$ but $\mathbb{Z} / \varphi{(\varphi{(n)})} \mathbb{Z}$.

Bacterius said:
Let $n = pq$ such that $p$ and $q$ are distinct primes. Let $a$ be coprime to $n$. Show that the following holds:

$$a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n} ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ \text{for all} ~ ~ k \in \mathbb{Z}$$
Since $a^p\equiv a \pmod{p}$, we have $a^{p^k}\equiv a \pmod{p}$.
Now, $a^{p^k+q^k}\equiv a^{p^k}a^{q^k}\equiv a^{q^k+1}\pmod{p}$
And, $a^{n^k+1}=a^{p^kq^k+1}\equiv(a^{p^k})^{q^k}a \equiv a^{q^k+1}\pmod{p}$

Thus, $a^{p^k+q^k}\equiv a^{n^k+1}\pmod{p}$.
Similarly, $a^{p^k+q^k}\equiv a^{n^k+1}\pmod{q}$.
From the above two we have, $a^{p^k+q^k}\equiv a^{n^k+1}\pmod{pq}$.

Hence $a^{p^k+q^k}\equiv a^{n^k+1}\pmod{n}$.

Bacterius said:
One possible proof is by induction. First, we use Euler's Theorem to simplify the statement:

$$a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n} ~ ~ ~ \Longleftrightarrow ~ ~ ~ p^k + q^k \equiv n^k + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}}$$

Hello Bacterius.

I don't see how the above is true.
Are you using that $a^i\equiv a^j \pmod{n}\Rightarrow i\equiv j\pmod{n}$.

If yes then I think the solution is incorrect as $4^3\equiv 4\pmod{15}$ but $3\not\equiv 1\pmod{\varphi(15)}$.

If no then please explain it in little more detail.

You are correct, I went a bit too fast here. The arrow only goes in one direction:

$$p^k + q^k \equiv n^k + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}} ~ ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ ~ a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n}$$

This implication should remain strong enough for the proof. Sorry about that.

Bacterius said:
You are correct, I went a bit too fast here. The arrow only goes in one direction:

$$p^k + q^k \equiv n^k + 1 \pmod{\varphi{(n)}} ~ ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ ~ a^{p^k + q^k} \equiv a^{n^k + 1} \pmod{n}$$

This implication should remain strong enough for the proof. Sorry about that.
Okay then. Also my proof in post#3 suggests that we don't even need $gcd(a,n)=1$. Isn't it?

What the hell. I am tired today, I didn't even see your third post. Yes, that condition is not required either, I added it just to make sure because I wasn't yet sure myself when I posted the problem. Your proof is correct and a nice approach of dividing the problem mod p and mod q. (Yes)

Bacterius said:
What the hell. I am tired today, I didn't even see your third post. Yes, that condition is not required either, I added it just to make sure because I wasn't yet sure myself when I posted the problem. Your proof is correct and a nice approach of dividing the problem mod p and mod q. (Yes)
Thanks. :)

FAQ: Introductory number theory challenge

1. What is introductory number theory challenge?

The introductory number theory challenge is a problem-solving challenge that focuses on the fundamental concepts of number theory, such as prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic. It is designed to test one's understanding and application of these concepts.

2. Who can participate in the introductory number theory challenge?

Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and number theory can participate in the introductory number theory challenge. It is suitable for students, professionals, and enthusiasts alike.

3. How difficult is the introductory number theory challenge?

The difficulty level of the introductory number theory challenge can vary depending on the specific problems and the individual's level of understanding. However, it is generally considered to be a beginner-level challenge, and with practice and perseverance, it can be overcome by anyone.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the introductory number theory challenge?

Participating in the introductory number theory challenge can improve one's problem-solving skills, logical reasoning, and understanding of number theory concepts. It can also be a fun and challenging way to engage with mathematics.

5. Where can I find resources to prepare for the introductory number theory challenge?

There are many online resources available, including practice problems, tutorials, and study guides, that can help you prepare for the introductory number theory challenge. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Math Stack Exchange.