Introductory Quantum Mechanics exercise.

In summary, we discussed the Hamiltonian which describes a particle's movement using two basis states, |0\rangle and |1\rangle. We then found the state |b\rangle which forms an orthonormal basis with |a\rangle. For part b), we found that the eigenvalues of the projector operator P_b are 0 and 1, with corresponding eigenvectors |a\rangle and |b\rangle. In part c), we determined the time evolution of a particle in state |a\rangle, finding that at time t, the state is a combination of |a,0\rangle and |b,0\rangle. Finally, in part d), we found that the possible results of a measurement with
gasar8

Homework Statement

We describe particle's movement with the Hamiltonian:
[tex] H=- \frac{\Delta E}{2} |0\rangle \langle0| + \frac{\Delta E}{2} |1\rangle \langle1|, [/tex]

where [itex] |0\rangle [/itex] and [itex] |1\rangle [/itex] are the ortonormal basis. Let:
[tex] |a\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0\rangle +\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} |1\rangle. [/tex]

a) Find [itex]|b\rangle[/itex] state, so that it would form orthonormal basis of a Hilbert space with [itex]|a\rangle[/itex].
b) Find eigenvalues and eigenstates of a projector [itex]P_b=|b \rangle \langle b|[/itex].
c) Let a particle be in an [itex]|a \rangle[/itex] state at t=0. Find the time evolution of a wave function.
d) At t>0 we do a measurement of an operator[itex]P_b[/itex]. What are possible results of a measurement and what are their chances?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) We can write:
[tex] |b \rangle = A |0 \rangle + B |1 \rangle\\ \langle a|b \rangle=0 \\ \langle b|b \rangle=1.[/tex]
We get:
[tex] A=iB \\ |A|^2 + |B|^2=1,[/tex]
and finally:
[tex] |b \rangle = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} |0 \rangle +\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |1 \rangle. [/tex]

b) I am not sure what to do here? Do I have to use a projector on states?
[tex]P_b |b \rangle =|b \rangle \langle b|b \rangle [/tex]
I get only b state (because [itex]\langle b|b \rangle=1[/itex]) as an eigenfunction (?), but I'm not sure what are the eigenvalues then?
[tex]P_b |a \rangle =0 [/tex]c) [tex] | a,t \rangle = e^{-i \frac{H}{\hbar} t} | a,0 \rangle \\ H|0\rangle=-\frac{\Delta E}{2} |0\rangle \\ H|1\rangle= \frac{\Delta E}{2} |1\rangle \\ | a,t \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{i \frac{\Delta E}{2 \hbar} t} |0 \rangle + \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-i \frac{\Delta E}{2 \hbar} t} |1 \rangle [/tex]
Is this OK?

d) Here, I have got some problems. I am thinking - we can get 0, if the wave function is still in [itex] |a\rangle[/itex] state or (I don't know what) if the wave function gets into [itex] |b\rangle[/itex] state.
But on the other hand I think here must be something with [itex] |0\rangle[/itex] and [itex] |1\rangle[/itex] states, so that I use only square of absolute values of coefficients from c) for their chances (which are 50:50?).

Thank you for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your part a) seems to be correct, although you've ignored a potential phase factor, making the general solution for [itex]|b\rangle=\frac{i}{\sqrt 2} e^{i\phi}+\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}e^{i\phi}[/itex] (not -really- an issue, just being pedantic here).

For part b), you're on the right track: if [itex]P_b |b\rangle=|b\rangle[/itex], what does that tell you about the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors (hint: it's almost trivial)? A similar conclusion can be obtained from [itex]P_b|a\rangle=0[/itex].

Part c) looks good.

Regarding the last part, I think you can just rewrite state [itex]|a,t\rangle[/itex] in terms of states [itex]|a,0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|b,0\rangle[/itex] instead, and then apply the projector to it and see which coefficients you obtain.

Likes gasar8
a) Ok, but what does this phase factor mean? I imagine those two states [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|b\rangle[/itex] in a plane, and they are perpendicular (like x and y-axis in coordinate plane). Does this only mean that they are randomly directed in a plane like on the next pic?
rotacija.jpg

b) I think I have got problems with this precisely because it is trivial and don't really understand what are eigenvalues and -vectors of such kind of operators. :)
From the definition of an eigenvector and eigenvalue ([itex] A v=\lambda v[/itex], where [itex] A[/itex] is operator, [itex] v[/itex] is eigenvector and [itex] \lambda [/itex] is eigenvalue), I would say that in our case [itex]P_b |b\rangle=|b\rangle[/itex], eigenvalue is 1 and eigenvector is [itex]|b\rangle[/itex] and in [itex]P_b|a\rangle=0[/itex] eigenvalue is 0 and eigenvector still [itex]|a\rangle[/itex]? Or vector [itex]\vec{0}[/itex]?

d) Big thanks! I rewrited:
[tex]| a,t \rangle = A |a,0 \rangle + B |b,0 \rangle \\ =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(A+iB)|0 \rangle +\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (iA+B)|1 \rangle, [/tex]
from which I nicely get:
[tex]| a,t \rangle = \cos(\frac{\Delta E}{2 \hbar}t) |a,0 \rangle + \sin(\frac{\Delta E}{2 \hbar}t) |b,0 \rangle[/tex]
If I now apply [itex]P_b [/itex] to this, I get:
[tex]P_b |a,t\rangle=0 |a,0\rangle + \sin(\frac{\Delta E}{2 \hbar}t) |b,0 \rangle.[/tex]
So the results of a measurement are 0 or sine?
Chances are just squares of absolute values of coefficients in [itex]|a,t\rangle[/itex] and the wave function collapses to the measured state?

An absolute phase has no physical significance, it's a sort of a redundancy in the description of the state, and doesn't influence any observables, that is, expectation values of hermitian operators. However, a relative phase difference between states can be detected: see for instance the Aharonov-Bohm effect (Sakurai - Modern quantum mechanics (2010), ch. 2.7 has some info).

You are right for part b), the eigenvalues of the operator are just 0 and 1, and the eigenvectors are [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|b\rangle[/itex] respectively (for the first one just note that [itex]P_b|a\rangle=0\cdot |a\rangle[/itex]). Note that the null vector cannot be an eigenvector by definition, since any linear map acting on it would result in 0 trivially.

The last part is right, but it seems a bit strange that the probabilities do not add up to 1 at all times. However, the operator in question is a projector, so given a basis of a Hilbert space denoted as [itex]|c_i\rangle[/itex], the completeness relation is [itex]\sum\limits_i|c_i\rangle\langle c_i|=1[/itex], in your case being [itex]|a\rangle\langle a|+|b\rangle\langle b|=1[/itex], so nothing is violated, see Sakurai ch. 1.3 for more details.

Likes gasar8
kontejnjer said:
it seems a bit strange that the probabilities do not add up to 1 at all times.
Why? Isn't the sum of squares of sine and cosine in [itex]| a,t \rangle[/itex] always 1?
Thank you!

Another question.
We've got a free particle with spin 1/2. We mesure z-component of its spin and get [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex].
a) After this, we measure the x-component, too. What are possible results and what are their probabilities?
b) What if we measure the component of its spin at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] about z axis?

a) I am not sure here. Firstly, I would say that its spin wave function collapses after first measurement in z component so then we get 0 with 100%, but in other hand if we use [itex]S_x[/itex] operator, we get something:
[tex]S_x |\uparrow \rangle = \frac{S_++S_-}{2} |\uparrow \rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2} |\downarrow \rangle[/tex]

b) At lectures we said:
[tex]| \psi \rangle = \cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) |\uparrow \rangle + \sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{i \phi} |\downarrow \rangle[/tex]

gasar8 said:
a) After this, we measure the x-component, too. What are possible results and what are their probabilities?
Are you familiar with working with Pauli matrices? If yes, you can first try to find the eigenvectors of ##\sigma_x## in the basis of eigenvectors of ##\sigma_z##.

OK.
[tex]
\sigma_{x} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0
\end{array}
\right)\\
\sigma_{3} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
So, the eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] are [itex] x_1=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex] and [itex] x_2=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]. The eigenvectors of[itex]\sigma_z[/itex] are [itex] x_3=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex] and [itex] x_4=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
0\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex].
So if I write eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] in the basis of eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_z[/itex], I get:
[tex]x_1=x_3+x_4\\x_2=-x_3+x_4[/tex].
What does these eigenvectors tell me?

gasar8 said:
OK.
[tex]
\sigma_{x} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0
\end{array}
\right)\\
\sigma_{3} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
So, the eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] are [itex] x_1=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex] and [itex] x_2=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]. The eigenvectors of[itex]\sigma_z[/itex] are [itex] x_3=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex] and [itex] x_4=
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
0\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex].
So if I write eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] in the basis of eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_z[/itex], I get:
[tex]x_1=x_3+x_4\\x_2=-x_3+x_4[/tex].
What does these eigenvectors tell me?
Almost correct, you just forgot that a state vector must be normalized. After normalizing them, express ##x_3## (not ##x_4## because initially the state is known to be corresponding to the eigenvalue ##\hbar/2##) in terms of ##x_1## and ##x_2##. This will allow you to calculate the probability of obtaining the probabilities of the measurement as mentioned in your problem statement.

Likes gasar8
So
[itex]x_1={1 \over \sqrt{2}}
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
1\\
\end{array}
\right) [/itex] and
[itex]x_2={1 \over \sqrt{2}}
\left(\begin{array}{cc}
-1\\
\end{array}
\right) [/itex]. From this, I get:
[tex]x_3={1 \over 2} x_1 - {1 \over 2} x_2.[/tex]

So, if I understand this correctly, possible results of a x-component measurement are again [itex]\pm \frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] with the probabilities of square of the coefficients, so both with [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] chance.
blue_leaf77 said:
express x_3 (not x_4 because initially the state is known to be corresponding to the eigenvalue ℏ/2) in terms of x1 and x_2.
Aha, so I would use [itex]x_4[/itex] if the result of a measurement would be [itex] -\hbar \over 2 [/itex] which is the other eigenvalue?
But why do I have to express [itex]x_3[/itex] with [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]? -->
blue_leaf77 said:
If yes, you can first try to find the eigenvectors of σx in the basis of eigenvectors of σz.
Do I just understand this wrong? Because I first expressed just the opposite. :)

gasar8 said:
[tex]x_3={1 \over 2} x_1 - {1 \over 2} x_2.[/tex]
The coefficients are still off although their ratio is correct, remember any state vector must be normalized - the sum of the modulus square of each coefficient must add up to unity.
gasar8 said:
Aha, so I would use x4x4x_4 if the result of a measurement would be −ℏ2−ℏ2 -\hbar \over 2 which is the other eigenvalue?
Yes.
gasar8 said:
But why do I have to express x3x3x_3 with x1x1x_1 and x2x2x_2? -->
Because you want to measure ##S_x## and the only possible outcomes are given by its eigenvalues. Therefore, you need to know how ##x_3## (the initial state) looks like when expressed in the basis of eigenvectors of ##S_x## (or ##\sigma_x##).
gasar8 said:
Do I just understand this wrong? Because I first expressed just the opposite. :)
No you didn't do something wrong. It's just because the most Pauli matrices are written in the basis of eigenvectors of ##\sigma_z##. Therefore, when you calculated the eigenvectors of ##\sigma_x## in this form you will automatically get these eigenvectors in basis of eigenvectors of ##\sigma_z##.

Likes gasar8

Related to Introductory Quantum Mechanics exercise.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other on a quantum level, which is significantly different from the behavior observed in classical mechanics.

2. What is the purpose of Introductory Quantum Mechanics exercises?

The purpose of Introductory Quantum Mechanics exercises is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. These exercises help students develop a deeper understanding of the theories and mathematical tools used in the field, and how they can be applied to solve problems and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What are the key topics covered in Introductory Quantum Mechanics exercises?

Some of the key topics covered in Introductory Quantum Mechanics exercises include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum states, operators, and measurement. Students will also learn about the Schrödinger equation, quantum tunneling, and the behavior of particles in different potential wells.

4. What are the benefits of studying Introductory Quantum Mechanics?

Studying Introductory Quantum Mechanics can provide a strong foundation for further studies in physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and quantum information. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many other areas of science and technology.

5. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics has many real-world applications, including in the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and medicine to understand and manipulate the behavior of atoms and molecules. Additionally, quantum cryptography and quantum computing are emerging fields that rely on the principles of quantum mechanics.