Intuition for Euler's identity

In summary, the intuitive approach on the website explains that the imaginary exponent in Euler's formula continuously rotates us perpendicularly, resulting in a circle traced and ending up on -1 after rotating through pi radians. However, the real part of the exponent does not contribute to any rotation, so e^-pi does not rotate us continuously through 180 degrees. The exponent is simply a pure multiplier with no rotation in the complex plane.
Prem1998
I read an intuitive approach on this website. You should read it, it's worth it:
https://betterexplained.com/articles/intuitive-understanding-of-eulers-formula/

I read that an imaginary exponent continuously rotates us perpendicularly, therefore, a circle is traced and we end up on -1 after rotating through pi radians.
If that's true, then why doesn't e^-pi rotates us continuously through 180 degrees so that we end up on the negative axis? '-' has more rotating power than 'i',right?
And, if that's not true, then please share your intuition of the formula.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Prem1998 said:
I read an intuitive approach on this website. You should read it, it's worth it:
https://betterexplained.com/articles/intuitive-understanding-of-eulers-formula/

I read that an imaginary exponent continuously rotates us perpendicularly, therefore, a circle is traced and we end up on -1 after rotating through pi radians.
If that's true, then why doesn't e^-pi rotates us continuously through 180 degrees so that we end up on the negative axis? '-' has more rotating power than 'i',right?
No. The real part of the exponent does no rotation at all. Suppose we separate the exponent x+iy, into its real part, x, and its imaginary part, iy. Then ex+iy = exeiy, where the factor ex is the usual real exponential and eiy is a pure rotation in the complex plane. ex is just a pure multiplier with no rotation of the vector eiy in the complex plane. So e does no rotation at all.

Related to Intuition for Euler's identity

1. What is Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is a mathematical formula that relates five fundamental mathematical constants: 0, 1, π, e, and i. It can be written as: e + 1 = 0.

2. Who discovered Euler's identity?

The Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler is credited with discovering Euler's identity in the 18th century.

3. Why is Euler's identity important?

Euler's identity is important because it connects seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts and has implications in various fields such as complex analysis, number theory, and physics.

4. How is intuition used to understand Euler's identity?

Intuition can be used to understand Euler's identity by breaking down the complex components of the equation and visualizing them in simpler terms. For example, e can be thought of as continuous growth, π as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and i as the square root of -1. By understanding these concepts, one can see how they come together in Euler's identity.

5. Can Euler's identity be proven?

Euler's identity cannot be proven because it is an identity, not an equation. An identity is always true, while an equation can be proven or disproven. However, there are numerous ways to demonstrate the validity of Euler's identity through mathematical proofs and visualizations.