Intution behind the definition of extrinsic curvature

In summary, the extrinsic curvature of a sub-manifold is defined as the rate of change of the inward-pointing unit normal to the boundary of the manifold, multiplied by the induced metric on the boundary. This definition is analogous to the Frenet equations in curvilinear motion, where the rate of change of the normal vector is used to define the curvature of a curve. On a manifold of codimension 1, the normal curvature and the curvature of the curve are the same, and can be computed by differentiating the unit normal vector. The extrinsic curvature can be thought of as being determined by n directions at each point, along which the normal lines focus at the radii of curvature along the unit normal.
Afonso Campos
Forgive me for asking a rather silly question, but I have thinking about the following definition of the extrinsic curvature ##\mathcal{K}_{ij}## of a sub-manifold (say, a boundary ##\partial M## of a manifold ##M##):

$$\mathcal{K}_{ij} \equiv \frac{1}{2}\mathcal{L}_{n}h_{ij} = \nabla_{(i}n_{j)},$$

where ##n## is the inward-pointing unit normal to ##\partial M## and ##h_{ij}## is the induced metric on ##\partial M##.

Is there an intuitive way to understand why the above must be the definition of the extrinsic curvature of a submanifold?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without having any experience in this area, I think I can still offer an input that might be relevant: In curvilinear motion, there is the relation ## \frac{d \hat{T}}{ds}= \kappa \hat{N} ## which is essentially one of the Frenet equations. This can easily be demonstrated in two dimensions by letting ## \hat{T}=cos(\phi) \hat{i}+sin(\phi) \hat{j} ## and taking the derivative. ( The curvature ## \kappa=\frac{d \phi}{ds} ##.) Note that ## \hat{N}=\frac{d \hat{T}}{d \phi}=-sin(\phi) \hat{i}+cos(\phi) \hat{j} ##. ## \\ ## In your manifold problem, the rate of change of the vector normal to the surface is used to define the curvature, but its rate of change is the same as that of a unit tangent vector for a curve along the surface.

Last edited:
Given a curve parameterized by arc length with unit tangent ##T## the covariant derivative ##∇_{T}T## equals ##kN## where ##k## is the curvature and ##N## is the unit normal.

By the Product Rule ##0 = T⋅<T,N> = <∇_{T}T,N> + <T,∇_{T}N> = k + <T,∇_{T}N>## so the tangential component of the covariant derivative of the unit normal is negative the curvature of the curve. The upshot is that differentiating the unit normal to the curve is a way to compute its curvature.

On a manifold of codimension 1 with a well defined unit normal vector field - e.g. if the manifold is the boundary of a one higher dimensional manifold - then ##∇_{T}T## splits into a tangential and a normal component. The normal component is the normal curvature ##k_{n}## multiplied by the unit normal. It is the curvature of the curve that is extrinsic to the manifold while the tangential component is the intrinsic or "geodesic" curvature of the curve.

Since ##<T,N> = 0## one again has ## 0 = T⋅<T,N> =<∇_{T}T,N> + <T,∇_{T}N> = k_{n} + <T,∇_{T}N>## so differentiating the unit normal is a way to compute the normal curvature of the curve. Note that if the curve is a geodesic on the submanifold, its geodesic curvature is zero so the normal curvature and the curvature are the same.

Generally speaking ##∇_{T}N## will not be parallel to ##T## so one gets a linear map ##L(T) = ∇_{T}N## of the tangent space into itself. But one can show that this map is symmetric so that it has n eigenvectors ##T_{i}##. For these vectors the ##∇_{T_{i}}N ## are parallel to ##T_{i}## and equal ##-k_{i}T_{i}## where ##k_{i}## is the normal curvature. These ##k_{i}## are called principal curvatures.

Now restrict to the case where the manifold is embedded in ##R^{n+1}##. and consider the normal map ##X: M× R→R^{n}## defined by ##(p,s) →p + sN_{p}##

##dX = Id + sdN## so if ##T## is an eigenvector of ##L## then ##dX(T) = T - skT## so for ##s= 1/k## the point ##p + sN## is a singular point of the map ##X##. At this point nearby normal lines "intersect" and ##p + 1/kN## is called a focal point of the normal map. One thinks of the normal lines as light rays reflecting off of the manifold and focussing at ##p + 1/kN##. The ##n## different reciprocals of the curvatures ##1/k_{j}## are called the "radii of curvature".

Since ##L## is symmetric it is completely described by its eigenvectors and these in turn determine the focal points of the normal map. So extrinsic curvature may be thought of as being determined by n directions at each point p along which the normal lines focus at the radii of curvature along the unit normal.

Notes:

- For a circle the radii of curvature are constant and are equal to the radius of the circle. All normal lines focus perfectly at the center. Classically, the radius of curvature of a plane curve was thought of as the center of a circle and nearby normals were thought to approximate the normals to the circle. The curve itself is always tangent to this circle.

- If one parameterizes a neighborhood of the point ##p## on the manifold ##M## in Euclidean space ## (t_1,...,t_{n}) →M(t_1, ..., t_{n})## in such a way that the metric matrix ##g_{ij}## is the identity matrix at ##p## then taking inner products with the equations ##∂X/∂t_{i} = ∂M/∂t_{i}+s∂N/∂t_{i}## one gets the matrix ##g_{ij} + s∂N/∂t_{i}⋅∂M/∂t_{j}## and it is clear that this matrix is singular when ##-1/s## is an eigenvalue of the symmetric matrix ##∂N/∂t_{i}⋅∂M/∂t_{j}##.

- If the manifold is embedded in codimension ##k## the by choosing ##k## unit normal vector fields one can perform the same type analysis.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD

Related to Intution behind the definition of extrinsic curvature

1. What is extrinsic curvature?

Extrinsic curvature is a measure of how a surface curves within a higher-dimensional space. It describes the curvature of a surface in terms of its embedding in a higher-dimensional space.

2. How is extrinsic curvature different from intrinsic curvature?

Intrinsic curvature measures the curvature of a surface in terms of its own geometry, while extrinsic curvature measures the curvature of a surface in terms of its embedding in a higher-dimensional space. In other words, extrinsic curvature is dependent on the surrounding space, while intrinsic curvature is inherent to the surface itself.

3. What is the significance of extrinsic curvature in physics?

Extrinsic curvature is important in physics, particularly in the study of general relativity, as it plays a crucial role in the description of the curvature of spacetime. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and the behavior of surfaces in materials science.

4. How is extrinsic curvature calculated?

Extrinsic curvature is usually calculated using the second fundamental form, which is a mathematical expression that relates to the change in the tangent vectors of a surface and the curvature of the surface. It can also be calculated using the concept of Gaussian curvature, which is a measure of how much a surface curves at a particular point.

5. Can extrinsic curvature be measured in real-life situations?

Yes, extrinsic curvature can be measured in real-life situations using various techniques such as optical methods, X-ray diffraction, and atomic force microscopy. These methods allow for the visualization and measurement of the curvature of surfaces at different scales, from microscopic to macroscopic.