Invariant Orthogonal Compliment

In summary, the conversation involved a question and answer about proving the invariance of an orthogonal complement with respect to a Hermitian transformation. The answer used the associated bilinear form and self-adjoint property of the transformation to show that the orthogonal complement is indeed invariant. The person asking for confirmation received it and thanked for it.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question with my answer. I would be really grateful if somebody could confirm whether my answer is correct. :)

Problem:

Prove that the orthogonal compliment \(U^\perp\) to an invariant subspace \(U\) with respect to a Hermitian transformation is itself invariant.

My Answer:

Let \(B\) denote the associated bilinear form, and \(f\) denote the Hermitian transformation. Then we have to show that, \(f(U^\perp)\subset U^\perp\). That is,

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=0\]

for all \(u\in U\) where \(u'\in U^\perp\).

Take any \(u'\in U^\perp\). Then for any \(u\in U\),

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=B(u',\,f^*(u))\]

Now since \(f\) is Hermitian (self-adjoint) we have, \(f=f^*\). Therefore,

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=B(u',\,f(u))\]

Now since \(U\) is an invariant subspace, \(f(u)\in f(U)\subset U\). Therefore,

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=B(u',\,f(u))=0\]

Am I correct? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question with my answer. I would be really grateful if somebody could confirm whether my answer is correct. :)

Problem:

Prove that the orthogonal compliment \(U^\perp\) to an invariant subspace \(U\) with respect to a Hermitian transformation is itself invariant.

My Answer:

Let \(B\) denote the associated bilinear form, and \(f\) denote the Hermitian transformation. Then we have to show that, \(f(U^\perp)\subset U^\perp\). That is,

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=0\]

for all \(u\in U\) where \(u'\in U^\perp\).

Take any \(u'\in U^\perp\). Then for any \(u\in U\),

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=B(u',\,f^*(u))\]

Now since \(f\) is Hermitian (self-adjoint) we have, \(f=f^*\). Therefore,

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=B(u',\,f(u))\]

Now since \(U\) is an invariant subspace, \(f(u)\in f(U)\subset U\). Therefore,

\[B(f(u'),\,u)=B(u',\,f(u))=0\]

Am I correct? :)
Yes. :)

Opalg said:
Yes. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Related to Invariant Orthogonal Compliment

What is an Invariant Orthogonal Compliment?

An Invariant Orthogonal Compliment (IOC) is a vector space that is perpendicular to a given vector space and remains unchanged under linear transformations.

How is an Invariant Orthogonal Compliment different from an orthogonal complement?

An IOC is a type of orthogonal complement, but it is unique because it remains invariant under linear transformations whereas a general orthogonal complement may not.

What is the importance of Invariant Orthogonal Compliments in linear algebra?

IOCs allow for the decomposition of a vector space into two complementary subspaces, making it easier to analyze and understand linear transformations.

How can Invariant Orthogonal Compliments be calculated?

IOCs can be calculated using the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves finding an orthogonal basis for the given vector space and then extending it to form a basis for the IOC.

Are Invariant Orthogonal Compliments unique?

Yes, IOCs are unique for a given vector space and linear transformation. However, there may be multiple different IOCs for different linear transformations on the same vector space.