Invariants of KdV equation (Non-linear PDE)

• Thread starter McCoy13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, by differentiating the mass integral with respect to time and using the KdV equation, we can show that the mass is a constant of motion for the KdV equation.
McCoy13

Homework Statement

Show that the mass is a constant of the motion (invariant) for the KdV equation by direct differentiation with respect to time.

Homework Equations

KdV equation: [itex]u_{t}+u_{xxx}+6uu_{x}=0[/itex]
mass: [itex]\int udx[/itex]
(integral is taken over whole line)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int u dx[/tex]

[tex]\int u_{t} dx[/itex]

[tex]-\int(6uu_{x}+u_{xxx})dx[/tex]

The first term in the integral integrates to 3u^2 which is 0 when integrated over the whole line by even symmetry. I am unsure what to do with the [itex]u_{xxx}[/itex] term.

I also suspect I may be doing the differentiation (if x is supposed to be parametrized by t or something, I dunno) and/or integration wrong, but I may also just not see the solution to the right hand term.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's rewrite the KdV equation in a more compact form:

u_t + u_{xxx} + 6uu_x = 0

Now, let's differentiate the mass integral with respect to time:

\frac{d}{dt} \int udx = \int u_t dx

Next, we can use the KdV equation to substitute for u_t and u_{xxx}:

\int (-6uu_x)dx = -6\int u u_x dx

Now, we can use integration by parts to solve the right hand side of the equation:

\int u u_x dx = \frac{1}{2}u^2 - \int u_x^2 dx

Since we are integrating over the whole line, the first term on the right hand side will be 0 due to even symmetry. This leaves us with:

\frac{d}{dt} \int udx = -6\int u_x^2 dx

Since the integral on the right hand side is always non-negative, this shows that the mass is a constant of motion (invariant) for the KdV equation.

Related to Invariants of KdV equation (Non-linear PDE)

1. What is the Korteweg-de Vries (KdV) equation?

The Korteweg-de Vries (KdV) equation is a non-linear partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the evolution of weakly nonlinear, long waves in one dimension. It was first derived by Dutch physicist Diederik Korteweg and mathematician Gustav de Vries in 1895.

2. What are invariants of the KdV equation?

Invariants of the KdV equation are quantities that remain constant over time as the wave evolves. These invariants are useful for understanding the behavior of the solution and can be calculated using the KdV equation itself.

3. How do invariants of the KdV equation affect the solution?

The invariants of the KdV equation provide important information about the solution, such as the amplitude and speed of the wave. They also help to identify certain types of solutions, such as solitons, which are stable, localized waves that maintain their shape as they propagate.

4. Can the invariants of the KdV equation be calculated analytically?

Yes, the invariants of the KdV equation can be calculated analytically for certain types of initial conditions. However, for more complex initial conditions, numerical methods may be required.

5. What is the significance of invariants in the study of the KdV equation?

The invariants of the KdV equation play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of the solutions. They allow us to make predictions about the long-term evolution of the wave and provide a deeper understanding of the physical phenomena described by the KdV equation.