Inverse Beta Decay: Can Free Protons Change to Neutrons?

In summary: Thanks.In summary, nuclear proton can capture an inner orbit electron and change to neutron with the emission of a neutrino. Can this mechanism also operate with free protons if bombarded by free electrons? I have tried researching this but have found no reference other than a Wiki article which claims that free protons cannot normally be changed to free neutrons by the process of electron capture. To me this implies that it can happen but that such events are rarely observed, possibly due to energy considerations. I will be grateful if someone could clarify this for me and if possible provide a reference. Thank you.
Dadface
With this mechanism a nuclear proton can capture an inner orbit electron and change to a neutron with the emisssion of a neutrino.Can this mechanism also operate with free protons if ,say, bombarded by free electrons?I have tried researching this but have found no reference other than a Wiki article which claims that free protons cannot normally be changed to free neutrons by the process of electron capture.To me this implies that it can happen but that such events are rarely observed,possibly due to energy considerations.I will be grateful if someone could clarify this for me and if possible provide a reference.Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beta decay of a neutron obtains three particles: proton, electron and an electron neutrino (antineutrino?)

In any case, the reverse reaction for a free proton would require the happenstance of the proton meeting up with an electron and a neutrino at the same time, in just the right way so that all the requisite conservation laws are met. This is what is meant by "not normally".

The reaction [itex]e^{-} + p \rightarrow \nu_e + n[/itex] is possible, but I would be suprised if it's actually been detected because of the obvious technical difficulty of detecting two neutral particles in the final state.

Last edited:
Thank you Phrak and jtbell.So it seems that such events may be unlikely and difficult to detect but are theoretically possible.I think energy plays a major part in the event because it seems likely free protons and free electrons at "low" KE values will readily come together to form hydrogen atoms.Also ,if any free neutrons are produced these will be unstable and decay into protons electrons and anti neutrinos.

This is how we make neutron stars right.

I'm something of a novice at particle Physics; can someone explain to me the conditions and instance of neutrino production? I think they're neutral particles with no mass and near-light speed but I'm not sure...The wikipedia article seems to be somehwat ambiguous on this topic.

Related to Inverse Beta Decay: Can Free Protons Change to Neutrons?

1. What is inverse beta decay?

Inverse beta decay is a type of nuclear reaction in which a free proton and an electron combine to form a neutron and a neutrino. This reaction is also called electron capture.

2. Can free protons change to neutrons through inverse beta decay?

Yes, inverse beta decay is the only known process by which a free proton can change into a neutron. This process occurs in certain types of unstable nuclei, such as in the cores of stars, during beta decay.

3. What is the role of neutrinos in inverse beta decay?

Neutrinos are particles that have almost no mass and carry very little charge. In inverse beta decay, a neutrino is produced along with a neutron when a proton and electron combine. The neutrino carries away excess energy and helps to balance the total energy of the reaction.

4. How is inverse beta decay related to the strong nuclear force?

Inverse beta decay is a fundamental process that occurs due to the strong nuclear force, which binds protons and neutrons together in a nucleus. The strong force is responsible for the conversion of a proton into a neutron and the release of a neutrino in inverse beta decay.

5. Can inverse beta decay occur naturally?

Yes, inverse beta decay can occur naturally in certain environments such as the cores of stars or during radioactive decay. It also plays a crucial role in the production of heavy elements in the universe, as it is responsible for the creation of neutrons that can then combine with protons to form heavier nuclei.