Inverse fourier transform of constant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse Fourier transform of f(w)=1 using convolution with an arbitrary function. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula for the inverse Fourier transform and convolving it with an arbitrary function, but the integrals do not lead to a solution. Ultimately, the problem was solved and the conversation ends with a thank you.
lemonsie

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Fourier transform of f(w)=1 Hint: Denote by f(x) the inverse Fourier transform of 1 and consider convolution of f with an arbitrary function.

Homework Equations

From my textbook the inverse Fourier transform of f(w)=[itex]\int[/itex] F(w)e^-iwt dw

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried letting f(x) be the Fourier transform of 1 and convolving it with an arbitrary function g(x) but for some reason this leads me nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
lemonsie said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Fourier transform of f(w)=1 Hint: Denote by f(x) the inverse Fourier transform of 1 and consider convolution of f with an arbitrary function.

Homework Equations

From my textbook the inverse Fourier transform of f(w)=[itex]\int[/itex] F(w)e^-iwt dw

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried letting f(x) be the Fourier transform of 1 and convolving it with an arbitrary function g(x) but for some reason this leads me nowhere.
Precisely what sort of nowhere do you get to?

i let f(x)= Inverse Fourier transform of 1, which from the formula i have gives f(x)=∫e^-iwx dw

then using the convolution formula with my f(x) above and the aribitrary function g(x) i get

f*g(x) = ∫e^-iwx dw ∫ g(x-t) dt

the integrals have bounds -∞ to ∞

ive got it solved now. thanks anyways sammy! :)

Related to Inverse fourier transform of constant

1. What is the inverse Fourier transform of a constant signal?

The inverse Fourier transform of a constant signal is a delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function. This is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has an infinite value.

2. How is the inverse Fourier transform of a constant calculated?

The inverse Fourier transform of a constant can be calculated using the formula: f(t) = ∫-∞ F(ω)ejωt dω, where f(t) is the original signal, F(ω) is the Fourier transform of the signal, and ω is the frequency variable.

3. Why is the inverse Fourier transform of a constant important in signal processing?

The inverse Fourier transform of a constant is important in signal processing because it allows us to convert a signal from the frequency domain to the time domain. This is useful for analyzing and understanding the behavior of signals, as well as for applications such as filtering and noise reduction.

4. What are some common applications of the inverse Fourier transform of a constant?

Some common applications of the inverse Fourier transform of a constant include digital signal processing, image and video compression, audio processing, and telecommunications.

5. Can the inverse Fourier transform of a constant be visualized?

Yes, the inverse Fourier transform of a constant can be visualized as a spike or impulse at the origin on a time domain plot. This represents the infinite value of the Dirac delta function at the origin.