Inverse fourier troubles: e^(-j*infty)

In summary, the book says that h(t) = \frac{1}{\pi t} is the answer, but Dyad doesn't understand how convergence can be a problem. He suggests that multiplying the function by decaying exponentials might help. Alternatively, he suggests taking a limit involving a.
sam.green
Hello,

I am working through Signals and Systems Demystified, but I am at an impasse.

I would like to take the inverse Fourier transform of

[tex]
H(f)=\begin{cases}
-j&\text{if } f > 0\\
j&\text{if } f<0\end{cases}
[/tex]

So

[tex]
h(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df + \int_{0}^{\infty} -je^{j2\pi ft}df
= \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df + \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df
= 2\int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df
= \frac{j2e^{j2\pi ft}}{j2\pi t}|_{-\infty}^{0}
[/tex]

So

[tex]
h(t) = \frac{1}{\pi t} - \lim_{f \rightarrow -\infty} \frac{e^{j2\pi ft}}{\pi t}
[/tex]

The book says that [tex]h(t) = \frac{1}{\pi t}[/tex] is the answer, but I don't understand how. Isn't [tex]\lim_{f \rightarrow -\infty} \frac{e^{j2\pi ft}}{\pi t}[/tex] periodic and nonconverging?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a constant times the sign (not sine) function: sgn(f) = 1 for f >0, and -1 for f<0.

Your problem, as you point out is convergence. Why not try multiplying your function by decaying exponentials, say exp(af) or exp(-af)?

Hi Dyad,

Thanks for your response. Could you please give me more details? Even Mathematica hates the integral.

By the way, I am only confident that the first part is correct.

[tex]
h(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df + \int_{0}^{\infty} -je^{j2\pi ft}df
= j(\int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{j2\pi f t}df - \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{j2\pi ft}df)
[/tex]

-Sam

What if you had

[tex]

x(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} je^{j2\pi f t}e^{-b|f|}df
[/tex]

with b real and greater than zero? This is a doable calculation.

Then, after you're done, what happens when you take a certain limit involving a?

Thanks for the help, Dyad!

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-j Sgn(f)e^{j2\pi ft}e^{-b|f|}df = \\
\int_{-\infty}^{0}je^{j2\pi ft}e^{bf}df - \int_{0}^{\infty}je^{j2\pi ft}e^{bf}df
[/tex]

The [tex]e^{-b|f|}[/tex] added convergence.

I ended up with

[tex]
j[\frac{1}{j2\pi t+b}+\frac{1}{j2\pi t-b}]
[/tex]

But as b approaches 0, we get

[tex]
j\lim_{b \rightarrow 0}[\frac{1}{j2\pi t+b}+\frac{1}{j2\pi t-b}]=\frac{1}{\pi t}
[/tex]

Ok, but just be careful; this doesn't always work.

Check the Fourier transform of the unit step function; this method doesn't give you the total answer. Problems arise at f = 0.

(To do this problem, might try writing the step function in terms of the sgn function.)

Related to Inverse fourier troubles: e^(-j*infty)

1. What is the inverse Fourier transform?

The inverse Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a signal from the frequency domain to the time domain. It essentially decomposes a complex signal into its individual frequency components.

2. What is the significance of the term "e^(-j*infty)" in the inverse Fourier transform?

The term "e^(-j*infty)" in the inverse Fourier transform represents the frequency component at infinity, or the DC (direct current) component of the signal. It is also known as the zero-frequency component.

3. How is the inverse Fourier transform calculated?

The inverse Fourier transform is calculated through a mathematical formula that involves integrating the complex signal over all frequencies. This formula is known as the inverse Fourier transform formula.

4. What are some common troubles with the inverse Fourier transform?

Some common troubles with the inverse Fourier transform include dealing with aliasing (errors in the reconstructed signal due to insufficient sampling), understanding and interpreting the complex mathematical formulas, and selecting appropriate windowing functions for signal processing.

5. How is the inverse Fourier transform used in scientific research?

The inverse Fourier transform is widely used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It is used to analyze and understand complex signals and systems, as well as to extract useful information and insights from them.