Inverse function of inequality function

In summary: The person is asking if they need to switch the sign when switching the variables in the inequality relation, and if there is another method for expressing the inverse function in terms of y. They are also wondering if there are any operations that can be performed on an inequality relation while keeping the smaller side smaller and the larger side larger. Lastly, they are asking if they need to solve for x in the equation to find the inverse.
xlu2

Homework Statement

Find inverse of each.
1. y<x+1
2. y=2x/(x-2)

Homework Equations

Switch y and x?

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1. I switched y and x, so x<y+1. Do I have to switch the sign also?
For 2. I switched y and x, so x=2y/(y-2). But I have to express the inverse function in terms of y. Is there another method I can use?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no such thing as an "inequality function." There are inequality relations. So there's no such thing as an inverse function of an inequality function. Your 1. is an inequality relation.

Also, your 2 is an equation, not an inequality at all.

By "switch y and x" it might be meant to manipulate the relations such that you get x isolated on one side of the relation, as compared to the starting condition where y is isolated on one side.

So, what operations can you perform on an inequality relation such that you keep the smaller side smaller and the larger side larger? For example, if you subtract 1 from each side, what happens?

9 < 10, then subtract 1, you get 8 < 9.

Your 2. is an equation. (Should the = sign be a < sign?) Does it mean, solve for x? Do you know how to do that?
Dan

Related to Inverse function of inequality function

What is the inverse function of an inequality function?

The inverse function of an inequality function is a function that undoes the effects of the original inequality function. It takes the output of the original function as its input, and produces the input of the original function as its output.

How is the inverse function of an inequality function related to the original function?

The inverse function of an inequality function is essentially the "opposite" of the original function. It undoes the effects of the original function, so when the two functions are composed together, they cancel each other out and produce the input as the output.

What is the process for finding the inverse function of an inequality function?

To find the inverse function of an inequality function, you must first solve the original function for the input variable. Then, switch the input and output variables and rewrite the function in the form of y = f(x). This new function is the inverse function of the original inequality function.

How do you graph the inverse function of an inequality function?

The graph of the inverse function of an inequality function is the reflection of the original function's graph over the line y = x. This means that any points on the original function's graph will be switched to their respective coordinates on the inverse function's graph.

What is the purpose of finding the inverse function of an inequality function?

The main purpose of finding the inverse function of an inequality function is to solve for the input variable when given an output value. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the original function, as well as providing a way to check the validity of the original function's solutions.

Back