Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s)

In summary, the student is struggling with solving a fractional inverse Laplace problem, where the denominator is an irreducible repeated factor. They have attempted to use partial fractions but have not been successful. They are looking for a step-by-step solution and have considered using convolution, but have not learned it in their class yet. They have received a hint to try using the relationship between inverse transforms of different functions, but are still having trouble understanding it. They have also attempted to use a friend's approach but are still struggling. They are looking for advice on how to proceed and are hoping for a simpler explanation of the properties mentioned. They have limited understanding and are considering seeking help from a more advanced peer.
Italo Campoli

Homework Statement

[/B]
Having a little trouble solving this fractional inverse Laplace were the den. is a irreducible repeated factor

hYud8aH.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

tryed at first with partial fractions but that didnt got me anywhere, i know i could use tables at the 2nd fraction i got as well for both of them but i would have to rework them to get them to look similar and that's the part were i get tangled arround, i would like to see a step by steph solution if possible i'd really like to understand this one

Its driving me crazy its the last one i need to complete a test. In my class we haven't got to convolution yet, but a friend told me that i should try that, id appreciate if you guys help me with that by any possible method.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]3s + 8 = 3(s + 1) - 1[/itex]

Thanks fot the hint but
bicz6kn.jpg

ill give it a shot, tho i'veen struggling with it all day :S

Italo Campoli said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Having a little trouble solving this fractional inverse Laplace were the den. is a irreducible repeated factor

hYud8aH.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

tryed at first with partial fractions but that didnt got me anywhere, i know i could use tables at the 2nd fraction i got as well for both of them but i would have to rework them to get them to look similar and that's the part were i get tangled arround, i would like to see a step by steph solution if possible i'd really like to understand this one

Its driving me crazy its the last one i need to complete a test. In my class we haven't got to convolution yet, but a friend told me that i should try that, id appreciate if you guys help me with that by any possible method.

If you let
[tex] g_1(s) = \frac{1}{s^2 + 2s + 10} , [/tex]
can you find
[tex] f_1(t) = \left({\cal L}^{-1} \, g_1(s) \right) (t)?[/tex]
Do you know the relationship between the inverse transforms of ##g_1(s)## and ##s g_1(s)##? Therefore, do you know the inverse transform ##f_2(t)## of ##g_2(s) = (3s + 8) g_1(s)##? Finally, do you know how to get the inverse transform of ##g_1(s) g_2(s)## from the two inverses ##f_1(t)## and ##f_2(t)##? (Even if you do not have time to complete the computations, giving the required formulas ought to earn you some decent marks.)
Do you know the relationship between the inverse transforms of ##1/(s^2+2s+10)## and ##s/(s^2+2s+10)##? Can you thus find the inverse transform of ##(3s+8)/(s^2+2s+10)##? Finally, if

Ray Vickson said:
If you let
[tex] g_1(s) = \frac{1}{s^2 + 2s + 10} , [/tex]
can you find
[tex] f_1(t) = \left({\cal L}^{-1} \, g_1(s) \right) (t)?[/tex]
Do you know the relationship between the inverse transforms of ##g_1(s)## and ##s g_1(s)##? Therefore, do you know the inverse transform ##f_2(t)## of ##g_2(s) = (3s + 8) g_1(s)##? Finally, do you know how to get the inverse transform of ##g_1(s) g_2(s)## from the two inverses ##f_1(t)## and ##f_2(t)##? (Even if you do not have time to complete the computations, giving the required formulas ought to earn you some decent marks.)
Do you know the relationship between the inverse transforms of ##1/(s^2+2s+10)## and ##s/(s^2+2s+10)##? Can you thus find the inverse transform of ##(3s+8)/(s^2+2s+10)##? Finally, if

i really apreciatte your answer, i understood a bit but not as much as i woulda loved, see my proffesor hasnt got to those properties you menthion but ill keep your answer in mind for later I am sure it will be of a lot of use!

Now using the idea @pasmith gave me, i got this

uBOCCx9.jpg

seems a bit easier, now , the one on the left looks almost the same as t.cos(wt) and maybe with some rework/rewrite here and there the one in the right like t.sin(wt) , please correct me if I am wrong, i been in this excersise alone since this morning i might be going crazy already, i would like some advice in simple terms how to proceed from here, thank you a lot @Ray Vickson

EDIT: lel with the rush i forgot the { } on both inverses, meh i think it is visually understandable hehe

Last edited:
Italo Campoli said:
i really apreciatte your answer, i understood a bit but not as much as i woulda loved, see my proffesor hasnt got to those properties you menthion but ill keep your answer in mind for later I am sure it will be of a lot of use!

Now using the idea @pasmith gave me, i got this

uBOCCx9.jpg

seems a bit easier, now , the one on the left looks almost the same as t.cos(wt) and maybe with some rework/rewrite here and there the one in the right like t.sin(wt) , please correct me if I am wrong, i been in this excersise alone since this morning i might be going crazy already, i would like some advice in simple terms how to proceed from here, thank you a lot @Ray Vickson

EDIT: lel with the rush i forgot the { } on both inverses, meh i think it is visually understandable hehe

Even if your professor has not yet given you some properties, are you not allowed to look them up in your textbook, or to find them on-line or in the library?

Ray Vickson said:
Even if your professor has not yet given you some properties, are you not allowed to look them up in your textbook, or to find them on-line or in the library?
yes but i can't seem to understand them quite right if i see them by the first time i would need to look like a few examples steph by steph and such like in a class, I am just a rookie here :( trust me ill give your idea to a friend of mine who is more ahead in the career than me, I am sure he will explain it to me in baby steps or at least try hehe

Related to Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s)

1. What is the definition of an Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function in the Laplace domain back to its original form in the time domain. It is denoted by the symbol L-1 and is the inverse of the Laplace Transform.

2. What does it mean to have a fractional F(s) in the Inverse Laplace Transform?

A fractional F(s) in the Inverse Laplace Transform refers to a function in the Laplace domain that contains a fractional exponent. This type of function is known as a fractional order system and is commonly used to model complex physical systems with non-integer dynamics.

3. How is the Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s) calculated?

The Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s) is calculated using the Bromwich integral, which involves integrating the function in the Laplace domain over a contour in the complex plane. This integral can be solved using various techniques such as contour integration, residue theorem, or partial fraction decomposition.

4. What are some applications of the Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s)?

The Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s) has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used to model and analyze systems with non-integer dynamics, such as electrical circuits, viscoelastic materials, and biological systems. It is also used in control systems, signal processing, and image processing.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using the Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s)?

One limitation of the Inverse Laplace Transform of a fractional F(s) is that it may not always exist for all functions in the Laplace domain. In addition, calculating the inverse transform can be challenging and time-consuming, especially for complex functions with multiple poles and zeros. Furthermore, the use of fractional order systems may not always provide a physically meaningful representation of a system.