Inverse Laplace Transformation

Then, use partial fractions to break up the expression into more manageable forms.In summary, to solve the given problem, one needs to complete the square in the denominator and then use partial fractions to break up the expression into more manageable forms.
END

Homework Statement

Solve the following:

$$\mathscr{L}_s^{-1} \left\{ \frac{s}{s^2-s+\frac{17}{4}} \right\}$$

Homework Equations

Table of Laplace Transforms.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is
$$f(t) = (1/4 )e^{t/2} (\sin(2 t)+4 \cos(2 t))$$

I know I need to break up ##F(s)## into more common Laplace transforms, but I'm not quite sure how to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
END said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following:

$$\mathscr{L}_s^{-1} \left\{ \frac{s}{s^2-s+\frac{17}{4}} \right\}$$

Homework Equations

Table of Laplace Transforms.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is
$$f(t) = (1/4 )e^{t/2} (\sin(2 t)+4 \cos(2 t))$$

I know I need to break up ##F(s)## into more common Laplace transforms, but I'm not quite sure how to begin.

Hint: Begin by completing the square in the denominator.

FAQ: Inverse Laplace Transformation

1. What is an inverse Laplace transformation?

An inverse Laplace transformation is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It is the reverse process of a Laplace transformation, which is used to solve differential equations and model dynamic systems.

2. Why is an inverse Laplace transformation important in science?

Inverse Laplace transformations are important in science because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems. By converting a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain, we can better interpret the results of experiments and make predictions about future behavior.

3. How is an inverse Laplace transformation performed?

An inverse Laplace transformation is typically performed using analytical techniques or by using a table of common Laplace transforms. For more complex functions, numerical methods such as the Fourier series or the Bromwich integral may be used.

4. What is the Laplace domain and time domain?

The Laplace domain and time domain are two different ways of representing a function. The Laplace domain is a complex plane where the function is expressed in terms of its Laplace transform, which is a complex variable. The time domain, on the other hand, is the familiar x-axis where the function is expressed in terms of time, t.

5. What are the practical applications of inverse Laplace transformations?

Inverse Laplace transformations have numerous practical applications in science and engineering, particularly in the fields of signal processing, control systems, and electrical circuits. They are used to solve differential equations and model dynamic systems, making them useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

Back