Inverse matrix by row reduction

In summary, the book author explains how to calculate the 17/2 from the equation:$$R_2'=R_2+2R_1'$$$$6 + 2 \cdot \frac 5 4 = \frac{12}{2} + \frac 5 2 = \frac{17}{2}$$However, when the user tries to do the calculation themselves, they get a result of 16 over 4.
zuby
Hi,
Can anyone help me to inverse the below matrix by row reduction method.
I know determinant method but I don't know row reduction method please help me.

4 5
-2 6

thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zuby said:
Hi,

4 5
-2 6

thanks.

You need to set up an augmented matrix with the identity matrix next to it, then go through a series of row operations until the matrix on the left becomes the identity matrix...

zuby said:
Hi,

4 5
-2 6

thanks.
Hello,
here you got some exemple as you can see you can do it in Two way! (Look at second exemple) Mathwords: Inverse of a Matrix
Remember to always check your soultion! When you find your inverse and multiply by the non inverse Then you should get unit matrix! ( the one with 1 on diagonal and zero at rest!) With other words

\(\displaystyle AA^{-1}=I\) some use I or E for unit matrix but that I is unit matrix!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Petrus said:
Hello,
here you got some exemple as you can see you can do it in Two way! (Look at second exemple) Mathwords: Inverse of a Matrix
Remember to always check your soultion! When you find your inverse and multiply by the non inverse Then you should get unit matrix! ( the one with 1 on diagonal and zero at rest!) With other words

\(\displaystyle AA^{-1}=I\) some use I or E for unit matrix but that I is unit matrix!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Thanks for quick response.
I checked the site that you sent and understood row reduction method but that was easy. When I calculate the matrix values that I posted in previous. it will not give the same result that I have in my book here is my above matrix solution from my book. there is confusion below the image at red circled area how (17/2) is calculated by the book author.

View attachment 1577

Please help me thanks

Attachments

• pub.jpg
    pub.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 76
Hi zuby! Welcome to MHB! :)

Where is the confusion?

The 17/2 is calculated from:
$$R_2'=R_2+2R_1'$$
$$6 + 2 \cdot \frac 5 4 = \frac{12}{2} + \frac 5 2 = \frac{17}{2}$$

zuby said:
Thanks for quick response.
I checked the site that you sent and understood row reduction method but that was easy. When I calculate the matrix values that I posted in previous. it will not give the same result that I have in my book here is my above matrix solution from my book. there is confusion below the image at red circled area how (17/2) is calculated by the book author.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1577

Please help me thanks
what they did is that they did multiply 2 to R1 and add to R2. It is exactly what they mean with \(\displaystyle R_2'=R_2+2R_1'\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{2*5}{4}+6=\frac{17}{2}\)
does that make it clear for you?

Edit: I like Serena was faster
Regards,

Petrus said:
what they did is that they did multiply 2 to R1 and add to R2. It is exactly what they mean with \(\displaystyle R_2'=R_2+2R_1'\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{2*5}{4}+6=\frac{17}{2}\)
does that make it clear for you?

Edit: I like Serena was faster
Regards,

When I calculate it says 16 over 4. Where am I making mistake?

\(\displaystyle \frac{2*5}{4}+6\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{10}{4}+\frac{6}{1}=\frac{10}{4}+\frac{6}{4}=\frac{16}{4}\)

zuby said:
When I calculate it says 16 over 4. Where am I making mistake?

\(\displaystyle \frac{2*5}{4}+6\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{10}{4}+\frac{6}{1}=\frac{10}{4}+\frac{6}{4}=\frac{16}{4}\)

$$\frac{6}{1} \ne \frac{6}{4}$$
This should be:
$$\frac{6}{1} = \frac{24}{4}$$

I like Serena said:
$$\frac{6}{1} \ne \frac{6}{4}$$
This should be:
$$\frac{6}{1} = \frac{24}{4}$$

Oh I was not multiplying 4 by numerator 6.

Under of thanks.

Related to Inverse matrix by row reduction

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, produces the identity matrix. It is essentially the "opposite" of the original matrix and is denoted as A-1.

2. Why is the inverse matrix important?

The inverse matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of equations, find determinants, and perform other mathematical operations that would be difficult or impossible without it.

3. How do you find the inverse matrix using row reduction?

To find the inverse matrix using row reduction, first write the original matrix and the identity matrix side by side. Then, perform row operations on the original matrix until it becomes the identity matrix. The resulting matrix on the other side will be the inverse matrix.

4. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. What is the purpose of finding the inverse matrix by row reduction?

The purpose of finding the inverse matrix by row reduction is to make solving systems of equations and performing other mathematical operations easier. It also allows us to find the solution to a system of equations in a precise and efficient manner.