Inverting Amplifier: Calculate Peak Voltages & Currents

• Thread starter naspek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
Otherwise, you would need to divide Vin(pp) by the desired value of Vin.In summary, the student is discussing their upcoming lab where they have questions about calculating peak voltages and currents using the formula Vin(pp) = 1.0V and Vout(pp) = -(Rf / R1) Vin(pp). They also ask about using the voltage divider rule to find peak voltages.
naspek
Hey there.. this is my lab discussion.. which i'll attend it this coming monday..
however.. there are questions that I'm not sure the formula to calculate it..
i really hope u guys can varified or corrected my formula.. =)

Homework Statement

Vin(pp) = 1.0V

is it Vin = Vin(pp) / 2 ?

Vout(pp) = -(Rf / R1) Vin(pp)

What are the peak voltages across R1 and Rf?

Calculate the peak currents of R1 and Rf

Homework Equations

Current through R1 = Vin(pp)/R1

Current through Rf = Vout(pp)/Rf

to find peak voltage, can i use voltage divider rule?

VR1 = 10k/43k x Vin
VRf = 33k/43k x Vin

:smile:

Attachments

• inverting amplifier.bmp
    157.8 KB · Views: 582
Physics news on Phys.org
pp means peak-to-peak

so.. my Vin = Vin(pp) / 2?

naspek said:
so.. my Vin = Vin(pp) / 2?

If Vin is the peak voltage, yes.

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations! To verify your formulas, let's break down the steps:

1. To find the peak voltage across R1, you can use the voltage divider rule. This formula is correct:

VR1 = (R1 / (R1 + Rf)) x Vin(pp)

2. To find the peak voltage across Rf, you can also use the voltage divider rule. This formula is correct:

VRf = (Rf / (R1 + Rf)) x Vin(pp)

3. To find the peak current through R1, you can use Ohm's Law. This formula is correct:

Current through R1 = Vin(pp) / R1

4. To find the peak current through Rf, you can use Ohm's Law. This formula is also correct:

Current through Rf = Vout(pp) / Rf

Overall, it looks like your formulas are correct and you are using the correct equations to calculate the peak voltages and currents in the inverting amplifier. Keep up the good work and good luck with your lab discussion!

Related to Inverting Amplifier: Calculate Peak Voltages & Currents

1. What is an inverting amplifier?

An inverting amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies an input signal while also inverting its polarity. This means that if the input signal increases, the output signal will decrease and vice versa. It is commonly used in audio and signal processing applications.

2. How does an inverting amplifier work?

An inverting amplifier uses an operational amplifier (op-amp) to amplify the input signal. The input signal is connected to the inverting input of the op-amp, while the non-inverting input is connected to a reference voltage. The output of the op-amp is then fed back to the inverting input through a feedback resistor, which determines the gain of the amplifier.

3. What is the gain of an inverting amplifier?

The gain of an inverting amplifier is determined by the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor. It is expressed as a negative value, since the output signal is inverted. For example, if the feedback resistor is 10kΩ and the input resistor is 1kΩ, the gain would be -10.

4. How do you calculate the peak voltages and currents in an inverting amplifier?

To calculate the peak output voltage of an inverting amplifier, you can use the formula Vout = -(Vin x Rf/Rin), where Vin is the peak input voltage and Rf/Rin is the gain. The peak output current can be calculated using the formula Iout = Vout/Rload, where Rload is the load resistor connected to the output of the amplifier.

5. What are some advantages of using an inverting amplifier?

One advantage of using an inverting amplifier is that it has a high input impedance, which means it won't draw much current from the input signal source. It also has a low output impedance, allowing it to drive low impedance loads. Additionally, it has a high voltage gain and can be easily configured for different gain values by changing the feedback resistor.