Investigating Superconducting Relativistic Vacuum - Reilly Atkinson

In summary, the BCS theory and the Higgs-Kribble mechanism allow for the renormalization of the Standard Model.
reilly
Science Advisor
I would very much like to know what work has or is being done on the notion of a superconducting relativistic vacuum. Google, so far, has not been much help. I'd greatly appreciate any clues or info.

I ask as I'm doing my own investigations, and I'm far enough along to start worrying about re-inventing the wheel, or vacuum, as the case may be.
Many thanks, and regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you define what exactly is a "superconducting relativistic vacuum"?

Zz.

ZapperZ--
I'm thinking of the ground state of a relativistic 3-point interaction field theory (I'm looking at a Fermion-Scalar Boson model), And this ground state would be superconducting in exactly the sense described by Cooper pairs, energy gap and all that.

Actually, any info on non-purturbative approaches to field theory ground states would be great.

Thanks & regards,
Reilly

reilly said:
ZapperZ--
I'm thinking of the ground state of a relativistic 3-point interaction field theory (I'm looking at a Fermion-Scalar Boson model), And this ground state would be superconducting in exactly the sense described by Cooper pairs, energy gap and all that.

Actually, any info on non-purturbative approaches to field theory ground states would be great.

Thanks & regards,
Reilly

What is the Hamiltonian of this "relativistic 3-point interaction field theory"? And how was the ground state obtained? And what exactly is "superconducting"?

Zz.

I'm working with a Hamiltonian composed of free(relativistic) particle terms for a fermion field and a scalar boson field, and an intrtaction term of the form

(Integral over all space of (psibar(x) phi(x) psi(x)), psi is the fermion field, phi the boson field./Ground state? Good question.

Superconducting: a fermion system obeying Cooper's pair eq;
I'm finding some info from google on vacuum and QCD.
Thanks for your interest.
Regards,
Reilly

reilly said:
Superconducting: a fermion system obeying Cooper's pair eq;

No, when I asked for "what exactly is superconducting", I wasn't asking for a definition of superconductivity, something that I know quite well.

When I say something is superconducting, I am talking about "charge transport". When I say something is a superfluid, I'm saying something about "particle transport".

So if you say a superconducting vacuum, I'm asking what exactly is moving with zero resistance, since you have no charges.

Zz.

For all practical purposes, my questions are answered for the moment. So, when I come up wih something, if I do, I'll report things here.
Thanks, and regards,
Reilly

reilly said:
I would very much like to know what work has or is being done on the notion of a superconducting relativistic vacuum. Google, so far, has not been much help. I'd greatly appreciate any clues or info.I ask as I'm doing my own investigations, and I'm far enough along to start worrying about re-inventing the wheel, or vacuum, as the case may be.
Many thanks, and regards,
Reilly Atkinson
The analogy between the BCS theory and the Higgs-Kribble mechanism for
mass generation was what allowed Gerard 't Hooft to renormalize the
Electroweak sector of the Standard Model.

Bose condensation of the vacuum was first proposed by François Englert,
Robert Brout and Peter Higgs.

Thomas Kribble showed that this analogy could also be used for Yang Mills
fields (which are used to model the Electro Weak Force).Regards, Hans

Last edited:
Hans -- Many thanks. My convergence toward getting up to date is slow, but certainly interesting./
Regards,
Reilly

Related to Investigating Superconducting Relativistic Vacuum - Reilly Atkinson

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is the phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and expulsion of magnetic fields at very low temperatures. This allows for the transport of electricity with minimal loss, making it a highly sought after property in various fields such as energy production and transportation.

2. How does superconductivity relate to the relativistic vacuum?

The relativistic vacuum is the theoretical concept of empty space being filled with virtual particles that constantly appear and disappear. In some models, these virtual particles are thought to form a superconducting medium, known as the superconducting relativistic vacuum. Investigating this concept can provide insight into the nature of the vacuum and its potential applications.

3. Who is Reilly Atkinson?

Reilly Atkinson is a theoretical physicist who proposed the idea of a superconducting relativistic vacuum in 2002. He is currently a professor at the University of California, Berkeley and is known for his research in quantum field theory and its applications to condensed matter physics.

4. What methods are used to investigate the superconducting relativistic vacuum?

There are various methods used to investigate the superconducting relativistic vacuum, including theoretical calculations and experiments. Theoretical calculations involve using mathematical models and equations to predict the behavior of the vacuum. Experiments involve creating low temperature and high vacuum environments to observe the properties of materials in relation to the vacuum.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding the superconducting relativistic vacuum?

Understanding the superconducting relativistic vacuum can have a wide range of applications, such as improving the efficiency of energy production and transmission, creating faster and more efficient electronic devices, and furthering our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe. It may also have implications for quantum computing and space exploration.