Investigating the loss of nitrogen as urea from the body.

In summary, the conversation discusses planning an investigation on how changes in protein consumption affect urea excretion in humans. The proposed apparatus includes urea and urease solutions, hydrochloric acid, and pH indicators. The use of titration to find the concentration of urea is mentioned, and the idea of creating a calibration curve is brought up. There is also a mention of using the Kjeldahl Method for more accurate results.
AJM

Homework Statement

I am required to plan an investigation to find out how changes in the consumption of protein in the diet influences the excretion of urea in humans.

Apparatus:
  • 10g per 100cm3 (10%) solution of urea.
  • Urease tablets or 5g per 100cm3 (5%) solution of urease
  • 0.1moldm-3 hydrochloric acid
  • pH indicators e.g. litmus paper ect
  • School/ laboratory resources

Homework Equations

I have been told that urea + water and urease makes ammonium carbonate and that I can use titration to find the concentration of urea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going to use titration on various known concentrations of urea to make a calibration curve that can then be used on real urine samples.

Q. Will making a calibration curve be of any use to people that are hoping to carry out the experiment as they would surley have to carry out titration anyway and therefore would have not much need to use the calibration curve as they will have practically done the whole thing themselves anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on a theoretical perspective some of the carbonate may become carbon dioxide and you may need to utilize the proper indicator or perhaps a device which continuously records the titration curve so as to know that the titration pertains to carbonate and not ammonia. Someone else here may be more experienced with this particular experiment.

I'm not understanding your proposal for a titration based calibration curve - calibration curves are good for spectrophotometric methods if you can conjure one up however your school may or may not have the equipment.

Google "Kjeldahl Method".

Nice of you to mention that - according to the Kjeldahl Method it's fine to titrate carbonate with sulfuric acid - the urease method however seems more simplistic yet may not be as accurate as the Kjeldahl Method.

Related to Investigating the loss of nitrogen as urea from the body.

What is the role of nitrogen in the body?

Nitrogen is an essential element for the body as it is a crucial component of DNA, RNA, and proteins. It is also necessary for the production of certain hormones and enzymes.

How is nitrogen removed from the body?

Nitrogen is primarily removed from the body through the process of urea formation in the liver. Urea is then excreted through the kidneys and urine.

What factors can lead to the loss of nitrogen as urea from the body?

The main factors that can contribute to the loss of nitrogen as urea from the body include a high protein diet, excessive sweating, and certain medical conditions such as kidney or liver disease.

What are the potential consequences of excessive nitrogen loss from the body?

If too much nitrogen is lost from the body, it can lead to a deficiency of essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins. This can result in muscle wasting, impaired immune function, and other health issues.

How can the loss of nitrogen as urea from the body be investigated?

The loss of nitrogen as urea from the body can be investigated through various methods such as blood and urine tests, measuring nitrogen levels in different bodily fluids, and evaluating dietary intake of nitrogen. These investigations can help identify any underlying causes and guide treatment options.