Investigating Wave Speed in Water: Uncovering the Theory

In summary, when investigating how the speed of a wave varies with depth of water using a tray of water, it is important to consider Stoke's Law and the concept of viscosity. In deeper water, where there is more volume, the speed of the wave will be quicker due to less "barriers" in contact. This is because water waves slow down when encountering a barrier, and in shallower water, there are more barriers present. Additionally, understanding laminar flow is important in understanding the relationship between speed and depth of water.
Amber
I'm doing an investigation on how the speed of a wave varies as the depth of water changes, using a tray of water. I know that in deeper water the speed will be quicker than that in shallow water. However I don't quite understand why this is. Apparently it has something to do with Stoke's Law? Is it related to the viscosity and the flow of water in different conditions - the more volume there is, the faster it will travel? Please help me with the theory behind it to help me understand better.

Thank you,
- Amber

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to think of the problem along this line, a ball is traveling along a frictionless surface at a constant speed, but when it start traveling uphill, its speed decreases because the kinetic energy of the ball is being converted into gravitational potential energy.

So, what would happen to a water wave when it encounters a barrier?

Last edited:
Thank you.

When the water waves encounter a barrier, it will slow down - so the less water there is, the more "barriers" are in contact. Therefore in shallower water the speed is slower? Is that correct?

It would help if the teacher taught us properly instead of asking us to read the textbook, and I find that doesn't help much.

Now I need to know how laminar flow relates to all this :confused:

FAQ: Investigating Wave Speed in Water: Uncovering the Theory

1. What is the purpose of investigating wave speed in water?

The purpose of investigating wave speed in water is to better understand the behavior of waves in this medium and to uncover the underlying theory that explains their motion and characteristics. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as oceanography, meteorology, and engineering.

2. How is wave speed in water measured?

Wave speed in water can be measured by using specialized equipment such as a wave gauge or a pressure sensor. These instruments record the time it takes for a wave to travel a known distance, which can then be used to calculate the wave speed.

3. What factors affect wave speed in water?

Several factors can affect wave speed in water, including the depth of the water, the wavelength of the wave, and the properties of the water itself (such as temperature and salinity). The presence of obstacles or changes in the seafloor can also influence wave speed.

4. How does the theory of wave speed in water explain the behavior of tsunamis?

The theory of wave speed in water can help us understand the behavior of tsunamis by explaining how their speed and height are affected by the depth of the water and the characteristics of the seafloor. This knowledge can aid in predicting the impact and extent of a tsunami, allowing for better preparation and response.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding wave speed in water?

Understanding wave speed in water has many real-world applications, such as predicting and preparing for natural disasters like tsunamis and hurricanes, designing and building more efficient ships and offshore structures, and studying the effects of climate change on ocean currents and wave patterns.

Back