Invitation: Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's life in science online lecture

In summary: I read James Glecks excellent book: "Genius, the life and science of Richard Feynman" at least five times over a number of years, wearing out more than one copy.
rhody
Gold Member
Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's life in science
Date: Tuesday 6 March 2012
Time: 4.00 p.m. GMT

It took a man who was willing to break all the rules to tame a theory that breaks all the rules. Lawrence M Krauss will present a scientific overview of the contributions of Richard Feynman, as seen through the arc of his fascinating life. From quantum mechanics to antiparticles and from Rio de Janeiro to Los Alamos, a whirlwind tour will provide insights into the character, life and accomplishments of one of the 20th century’s most important scientists, as well as an object lesson in scientific integrity.
I registered, perhaps after it is over we could discuss in this thread.

Rhody...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice to see many are interested. I put a reminder in google calendar, to alert and email me before 4 pm on that date. Google calendar is useful, you should check it out, only for those who use gmail however.

Rhody...

Ok,

The suspense is killing me, is anyone going to watch this, report in please. Perhaps we can have a nice discussion of one of my life long heroes.

Rhody...

me :smile:

tiny-tim said:
me :smile:

Woo who... a live one...

Rhody...

For those who have already registered I am sure you have or will be seeing this shortly.
See quote in blue below. I may watch the archived version if the schedule conflicts with work, etc...
Due to technical issues we have to postpone the physicsworld.com online lecture "Quantum man: Richard Feynman's life in science", which was due to take place tomorrow, 6 March at 4.00 p.m. GMT.

We will send you an e-mail when we are able to confirm the new date and time. Your registration for the online lecture will still be valid (you do not need to re-register). We will send you an e-mail reminder 24 hours before the new time, and a final reminder one hour before the lecture begins.

If you are not able to attend the live lecture at the new date and time, you can watch the archived version. We will send you an e-mail with a link to the archived lecture immediately after the live lecture has finished.

Please accept our apologies for postponing the lecture, but we couldn't guarantee that the technical issues would be fixed in time, and we want you to have an enjoyable experience watching Lawrence M Krauss present a scientific overview of the contributions of Feynman, as seen through the arc of his fascinating life.

Rhody...

Don't you just love technology ? Seriously, I am betting this is the first time they have tried it and have to work a few bugs out of the system. Since they are making an archive version available it doesn't really matter when it airs. Perhaps Greg will allow Feynman Chat that day too at the same time as the video web cast, that would be nice.

Rhody... :biggrin:

rhody said:
Grrr, tiny-tim beat me to it. I will watch...

Rhody...

Should I say listen, I have heard all this before an then some, too bad, I was hoping for new insight, I was disappointed. Oh well...

Rhody...

yes, i haven't read his (lawrence krauss's) book on feynmnan, but i got the impression that if i had, the lecture would have been nothing new

still, anything about feynman is usually entertaining, and the lecture is well worth listening to for anyone who hasn't read a biography of him :smile:

Maybe it is me, but I found Krauss's dialog just a bit annoying, I surmise in part because I measure all others lectures when it comes to Feynman, to Feynman. By that I mean, Feynman draws you in and captivates you in a way that many if not all who ever lectured on Physics could. I was hoping for a Feynman buzz and didn't get it. I have to laugh, I read James Glecks excellent book: "Genius, the life and science of Richard Feynman" at least five times over a number of years, wearing out more than one copy.

Rhody... :approve:

Related to Invitation: Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's life in science online lecture

1. Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was a renowned American physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics, particle physics, and nanotechnology. He is also known for his work in theoretical physics, winning the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his work on quantum electrodynamics.

2. What is the "Quantum Man" lecture about?

The "Quantum Man" lecture is about Richard Feynman's life and his contributions to science. It covers his childhood, education, and career as a physicist, as well as his unique approach to problem-solving and his impact on the field of quantum mechanics.

3. Is the lecture only for scientists or can anyone attend?

The lecture is open to anyone who is interested in learning about Richard Feynman's life and contributions to science. You do not need to have a background in science to attend.

4. Is this a live lecture or a pre-recorded one?

This is a pre-recorded lecture that will be available online for a certain period of time. However, there may be opportunities for live Q&A sessions with the presenter or other experts in the field.

5. How can I access the "Quantum Man" lecture?

You can access the lecture by registering for the online event or by purchasing a ticket. The specific instructions for accessing the lecture will be provided after registration or ticket purchase.