Iodine 131 for hyperthyroidism (β- disintegration)

• Biology
  • Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of scintigraphy to detect γ photons emitted by the iodine's nucleus. The answer was deemed correct, but there is confusion about how the photons are emitted by the nucleus, as it disintegrates into Xe*, an electron, and an antineutrino. The explanation is that the excited Xe* nucleus emits a 364 keV gamma, which is the main photon detected in the scintigraphy procedure.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Which particle would a scintigraphy detect? (
Relevant Equations
I --> Xe* + e- + antineutrino
Hi,
I'm struggling to understand an answer in my MCQ.
It states that a scintigraphy would detect γ photons emitted by the iodine's nucleus, and the answer was correct.
But I don't understand how it would detect γ photons from the iodine's nucleus since it disintegrates by forming Xe*, an electron and an antineutrino. So even if it is caused by an electronic rearrangement due to the appearance of a new electron, it would emit a X photon.
To a certain extent, we could say that excited Xe nucleus would emit γ photons but I really don't understand how the iodine's nucleus could emit γ photons...
Can someone please explain to me thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Xe* emits a 364 keV gamma which is the main photon detected in the scintigraphy procedure.

Likes duchuy and jim mcnamara

Related to Iodine 131 for hyperthyroidism (β- disintegration)

1. What is Iodine 131 and how does it treat hyperthyroidism?

Iodine 131 is a radioactive form of the element iodine. It is used to treat hyperthyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Iodine 131 works by emitting beta particles, which destroy the overactive thyroid cells.

2. How is Iodine 131 administered for hyperthyroidism treatment?

Iodine 131 is typically administered orally in the form of a capsule or liquid. The patient may need to follow a special diet and avoid contact with others for a period of time after treatment to minimize exposure to radiation.

3. What are the potential side effects of Iodine 131 treatment?

The most common side effect of Iodine 131 treatment is temporary inflammation of the thyroid gland, which may cause discomfort in the neck. Other potential side effects include dry mouth, nausea, and changes in taste or smell. In rare cases, there may be a risk of developing thyroid cancer.

4. How long does it take for Iodine 131 to work for hyperthyroidism?

The effects of Iodine 131 treatment may take several weeks to fully manifest. The thyroid gland may take some time to shrink and symptoms of hyperthyroidism may not improve immediately. It is important to follow up with the doctor to monitor the effectiveness of the treatment.

5. Are there any precautions to take after receiving Iodine 131 treatment?

After receiving Iodine 131 treatment, it is important to follow the doctor's instructions carefully. This may include avoiding close contact with pregnant women and young children for a period of time, and drinking plenty of fluids to help flush out the radioactive iodine from the body. It is also important to attend follow-up appointments to monitor the thyroid function and any potential side effects.