Ionic thruster high school science project

lucashuizat777
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
I’m a junior in high school and I’m going to be entering the science fair. I want to do something impressive with a chance of progressing to the state level(CA). I want to try involving ionic thrusters but the i’m having trouble finding an actual hypothesis or independent variable to test. Can anyone help with ideas or advice for the project in general? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Since this is your schoolwork assignment, please tell us your thoughts so far. What reading have you done on the subject, and what are your ideas for how to incorporate ionic thrusters into a science fair project.

I’ve done reading into how ion thrusters operate, how they’re used in space, different kind of ion thrusters like hall thrusters and I’ve seen videos of people making small ion thrusters without vacuum chambers. This was the goal for my project. As far as hypothesis, I was considering testing how the nozzle shape affects the force of the thrust exerted. Another variable I was considering was testing gasses with varying atomic masses but that seems much more difficult.

Likes berkeman
Back