Ionizing solids- effects and materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of macroscopic ionized solids and the use of ultra-pure water as an electric insulator. The speaker suggests using different materials and questions the theoretical limit of injecting electrons into a mass of copper. There is also a debate about the breakdown of the insulator and the relevance of its thickness.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings.

I want to experiment with the effects of macroscopic ionized solids.
But first, let's have a little 'thought experiment'!

If I have say, a gram of elemental copper, surrounded by ultra-pure water and it's put into a device which is capable of filling all of the valence electrons in the copper atoms. The ultra-pure water would act as an electric insulator, preventing electrons from leaving the copper mass. The copper would be kept in the center of the water by magnetic levitation. Given the excess of electrons in the copper, it will have a very, very intense electric field.

In this situation, is there a theoretical limit to the number of electrons one can inject into this mass of copper (after filling all the valence shells)? With sufficient water, the electrons shouldn't be able to leave, right? The copper would be very chemically unstable, but the water will prevent the electrons from migrating outwards, correct?

Are there benefits to using different materials? Conductive or not? More or less valence shells? Will the electrons eventually creep out of the ultra-pure water environment? What are the big problems with this concept? Will the water actually react with the unstable copper?

Thanks,
-Tay

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... copper is a conductor, so the valence band overlaps the conduction band.
However I get that you want to put a very large charge on a lump of copper, and you want to keep them there with a very good insulator.

If you keep piling in the charge, the insulator will break down.
Electrons can fly off the conductor into the insulator ionizing it's atoms, burning holes in it, stuff like that.
Basically, the model for electrodynamics you are using will break down.

There are benefits to changing materials - there are better insulators than water and metals with a higher density of states than copper.

Copper does not react with water normally, but the electric field would electrolyze the water.

Thanks for your feedback simon.
Ive been looking at dielectrics and i thought that water was the best choice for breakdown voltage. I am puzzled how my model would breakdown if the dielectric is sufficiently thick.

How would the water go through electrolosis if there is no current flow- provided the dielectric does its job...?

Well you have used qualifiers like "sufficiently thick" and "provided the dielectric does it's job" which mean the answer is - it won't. Provided it is sufficiently thick and it does it's job.

But that gets you nowhere - it does not tell you how thick, or under what conditions it will not do it's job.
i.e. your question is under-specified.

All real materials will break down at some voltage.

If i have a million volts with 1 mile of teflon insulation, I am pretty sure the dielectric breakdown will not be the entire length of the teflon.
But i think i understand what youre saying. The thickness of the dielectric is irrelevant when it comes to the breakdown of the marerial, correct? For some reason i thought current had to flow in order for a dielectric to break down. Am i right?

taylaron said:
If i have a million volts with 1 mile of teflon insulation, I am pretty sure the dielectric breakdown will not be the entire length of the teflon.
do the math.

But i think i understand what youre saying.
I don't think so... I am saying that your statements are too vague to be any use.

Related to Ionizing solids- effects and materials

1. What is ionizing radiation?

Ionizing radiation is a form of energy that has enough power to break chemical bonds and create ions in materials. It can come from natural sources, such as cosmic rays and radon gas, or from man-made sources, such as X-rays and nuclear power plants.

2. How does ionizing radiation affect solids?

Ionizing radiation can cause changes in the structure and properties of solids by breaking chemical bonds, creating defects, and altering the arrangement of atoms. This can lead to changes in color, texture, and mechanical strength, as well as potential health hazards.

3. What materials are most affected by ionizing radiation?

Materials that are most affected by ionizing radiation are those with low atomic numbers, such as carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen. These materials have less shielding ability and are more easily ionized by radiation. Metals, on the other hand, are less affected due to their high atomic numbers and strong bonding.

4. What are the potential effects of exposure to ionizing radiation?

Exposure to ionizing radiation can have various effects on materials, including changes in color, texture, and mechanical properties. It can also lead to the formation of free radicals, which can damage biological cells and tissues. Prolonged exposure can increase the risk of cancer and other health issues.

5. How can ionizing radiation be controlled or mitigated?

There are various methods to control or mitigate the effects of ionizing radiation on solids. These include using shielding materials, such as lead or concrete, to block or absorb the radiation. Another method is to limit exposure time and maintain safe distances from radiation sources. Additionally, proper handling and disposal of radioactive materials can help prevent potential hazards.