IRAF: Experience with Analysing CCD Spectra?

• Thread starter ajclarke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the conversation discusses a common issue faced in IRAF when analyzing spectral data from CCD images. One solution is to use the imtranspose or imcopy tasks to transpose the x and y axes of the image, correcting the orientation of the spectra. The conversation ends with an expression of good luck and an offer for further assistance.
ajclarke
Hey PF Folkadins =]

DO any of you have an experience with IRAF? I'm currently doing a BSc project on analysing spectral changes during periods of flaring on dMe type stars and I am having some issues extracting my ccd spectra.

In IRAF, I have run apall. And followed the steps of defining an aperature (there is a small issue with the spectrum being slanted, though IRAF seems to have the capabilities to handle this)

However apall seems to be plotting a spectra rather than a pixel count per y direction ,as you would want for analysing which section of the ccd holds the image of the star.

Simply put the x and y-axis are the wrong way around for the apall to work correctly, though why they have spectral dispersion defaulting to y and spatial dispersion to x is beyond me, since virtually all ccd's I have are the other way around.

Any clues on simple ways I can change this to the other way around? Without loading all 200 CCD frames into IDL and then back again?

Cheers.
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Adam,

I am a scientist with experience in using IRAF for analyzing spectral data. I understand the issue you are facing with the apall task and the orientation of the spectra. This can be a common problem when working with CCD data in IRAF.

One solution to this problem is to use the imtranspose task in IRAF. This task allows you to transpose the x and y axes of the image, essentially swapping them. This should help with the incorrect orientation of the spectra in the apall task.

To use imtranspose, you will need to first select the appropriate image and then run the task with the transpose option set to yes. This will create a new image with the axes swapped. You can then use this new image with the apall task and the spectra should be correctly oriented.

Another option is to use the imcopy task to create a new image with the axes swapped. This can be done by specifying the x and y ranges in the task parameters and setting the transpose option to yes.

I hope this helps with your issue and good luck with your project! If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your research!

Related to IRAF: Experience with Analysing CCD Spectra?

1. What is IRAF and why is it used for analysing CCD spectra?

IRAF (Image Reduction and Analysis Facility) is a software package designed for astronomical data analysis. It is used for analysing CCD spectra because it has a comprehensive set of tools and algorithms specifically designed for handling astronomical data, including CCD spectra.

2. Can IRAF be used for analysing spectra from other instruments besides CCD?

Yes, IRAF can be used for analysing spectra from other instruments, such as infrared detectors, photomultiplier tubes, and spectrographs. However, it is most commonly used for analysing spectra from CCD detectors.

3. Is IRAF user-friendly for beginners?

IRAF can be challenging for beginners to use, as it requires a basic understanding of the command line interface and scripting. However, there are many resources and tutorials available online that can help beginners get started with IRAF.

4. Can IRAF handle large datasets?

Yes, IRAF is capable of handling large datasets. It has built-in tools for efficient data management, such as data compression and multi-tasking capabilities, which allow it to handle large datasets without crashing or slowing down.

5. Is IRAF free to use?

Yes, IRAF is free to use for non-commercial purposes. It is maintained by the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) and can be downloaded from their website. However, commercial use of IRAF requires a license.