Iron Bar Thermal Radiation Calculation

In summary, the rate at which iron radiates energy can be calculated using the formula H=σAT4, where A represents the total surface area of the iron bar. Given its dimensions, density, heat capacity, and coefficient of linear expansion, along with an initial temperature of 500K and an emissivity of 0.8, the correct calculation for H is H=(5.67x10^-8)(0.8)(0.5x0.2)(500)^4.
Gaith

Homework Statement

Energy can be transmitted via radiation, the rate at which this happens is H=σAT4. A bar of iron is 0.5m long, 0.2m wide and 0.2m high. Iron has a density of 7900 kg/m3, a heat capacity of 400J/kgC, and a coefficent of linear expansion of 1.2x10-5

What is the rate at which iron radiates energy assuming it is initially at 500K and that the emissivity is 0.8?

Homework Equations

H=σAT4

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to figure out the final Temperature so I could plug it into the formula above and get the H. However I am stuck at which equation to use in order to find the final temperature.

Im not sure if I'm going about it the right way either. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the final temperature, the formula does not call for it.

Simon Bridge said:
You don't need the final temperature, the formula does not call for it.
Ok so you're telling me I can just plug in the numbers and get the answer like this

H=(5.67x10^-8)(0.8)(0.2x0.5)(500)^4

The answer is still incorrect...

Gaith said:
Ok so you're telling me I can just plug in the numbers and get the answer like this

H=(5.67x10^-8)(0.8)(0.2x0.5)(500)^4

The answer is still incorrect...
Think carefully about what area A represents in the formula for the thermal radiation. Does heat only radiate from one side of the iron bar?

How did you work out the total surface area of the block of iron?
Ah, HM beat me to it.

SteamKing said:
Think carefully about what area A represents in the formula for the thermal radiation. Does heat only radiate from one side of the iron bar?
Wow I can't believe how I didnt see that. Thank you for pointing out my stupid mistake!

Related to Iron Bar Thermal Radiation Calculation

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the emission of electromagnetic waves from an object due to its temperature. It is also known as heat radiation or infrared radiation.

2. How does thermal radiation affect objects?

Thermal radiation can cause objects to heat up or cool down, depending on the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. Objects with higher temperatures emit more thermal radiation, while objects with lower temperatures absorb more thermal radiation.

3. What factors affect thermal radiation?

The amount of thermal radiation emitted by an object is affected by its temperature, surface area, and composition. Objects with larger surface areas and higher temperatures will emit more thermal radiation. Additionally, different materials have different abilities to absorb and emit thermal radiation.

4. How is thermal radiation measured?

Thermal radiation is measured using a device called a pyrometer, which detects the amount of infrared radiation emitted by an object. The measurement is typically given in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

5. What are some real-world applications of thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is an important concept in many fields, including engineering, climate science, and astronomy. It is used in the design of energy-efficient buildings, the study of Earth's energy balance, and the detection of objects in space through their thermal emissions.