Irrational Flow yields dense orbits.

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that given a specific flow on the torus, each trajectory is dense. This means that for any point on the torus, initial condition, and a small distance epsilon, there exists a finite time t where the trajectory starting at the initial condition will pass within epsilon distance of the given point. The question is how to find this time t, and whether it can be proven by contradiction.
JuanYsimura
I have the folloring problem:

Given the following flow on the torus (θ_1)' = ω_1 and (θ_2)' = ω_2, where ω_1 /ω_2 is irrational then I am asked to show that each trajectory is DENSE. So I need to prove that Given any point p on the torus, any initial condition q, and any ε > 0, then there exists t finite such that the trajectory starting at q passes within a distance epsilon of p, that is to say find a t such that |q - p| < ε.

My problem is how can I find such a t? Can I prove this by contradiction?

Thank you very much for your help,

Juan

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Irrational Flow yields dense orbits.

1. What is irrational flow?

Irrational flow is a mathematical concept that describes the motion of a point in a flow system where the rate of change of position is not a rational multiple of the rate of change of time. In other words, the movement of the point is not periodic and does not follow a predictable pattern.

2. What is a dense orbit?

A dense orbit is a type of orbit in irrational flow where the point moves infinitely close to all points in a given region. This means that the point visits every point within that region, but it does not necessarily visit every point in the entire flow system.

3. How does irrational flow yield dense orbits?

Irrational flow yields dense orbits because the rate of change of position is not a rational multiple of the rate of change of time. This results in the point moving in a seemingly random pattern, which allows it to visit every point within a given region, creating a dense orbit.

4. What is the significance of dense orbits in irrational flow?

Dense orbits in irrational flow have several significant implications in mathematics and science. They are used to study chaos and predict the behavior of complex systems, and they also have applications in cryptography and information theory.

5. Are there any real-world examples of irrational flow and dense orbits?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of irrational flow and dense orbits. One example is the movement of particles in a gas, where the particles move in a seemingly random pattern, creating a dense orbit around a given region. Another example is the behavior of stock prices, which can be modeled using irrational flow and dense orbits to understand market trends and predict stock movements.