Irreducible polynomial/Splitting field

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the splitting field of $f$ is $E=\mathbb{Q}(\pm 2 e^{\pi i/4}, \pm 2 e^{\pi i/6})=\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}, e^{\pi i/6})$, and the degree of the extension is $[E:\mathbb{Q}]$ is $4$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $f(x)=x^4+16 \in \mathbb{Q}[x]$.
  1. Split $f(x)$ into a product of first degree polynomials in $\mathbb{C}[x]$.
  2. Show that $f(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial of $\mathbb{Q}[x]$.
  3. Find the splitting field $E$ of $f(x)$ and the degree of the extension $[E:\mathbb{Q}]$.

I have done the following:
  1. $f(x)=(x^2-(4i)^2)(x^2+(4i)^2)=(x-2\sqrt{i})(x+2\sqrt{i})(x-2\sqrt[3]{i})(x+2 \sqrt[3]{i})=(x-2 e^{\pi i/4})(x+2 e^{\pi i /4})((x-2 e^{\pi i/6})(x+2e^{\pi i/6})$

Is it correct?? (Wondering)
  2. $f(x)$ is irreducible in $\mathbb{Q}$.
    If it were not irreducible, then it could be written as a product of polynomials of $\mathbb{Q}[x]$ as followed:
    • It can be written as a product of four first degree polynomials:
      $f(x)=(x-2\sqrt{i})(x+2\sqrt{i})(x-2\sqrt[3]{i})(x+2 \sqrt[3]{i})$
      But the coefficients are not in $\mathbb{Q}$, So, it cannot be written in that way.
    • It can be written as a product of two second degree polynomials:
      $f(x)=(x^2-(4i)^2)(x^2+(4i)^2)$
      But the coefficients are not in $\mathbb{Q}$, So, it cannot be written in that way.
    • It can be written as a product of a first degree and a third degree polynomial:
      $f(x)=(x-2\sqrt{i})\left [(x+2\sqrt{i})(x^2-16)\right ] \\ =(x-2\sqrt{i}) (x^3-16x+2\sqrt{i} x^2-32\sqrt{i})$
    Is it correct?? (Wondering)
  3. The splitting field is $E=\mathbb{Q}(\pm 2 e^{\pi i/4}, \pm 2 e^{\pi i/6})=\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}, e^{\pi i/6})$

Is it correct?? (Wondering)$Irr(e^{\pi i/4}, \mathbb{Q})=x^4+1$

$[\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}):\mathbb{Q}]=4$

How can I continue to find $[\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}, e^{\pi i/6}): \mathbb{Q}]$?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I think is everything OK.

Remember that $[\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/6},e^{\pi i / 4}) \ : \ \Bbb{Q}]=[\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}) (e^{\pi i/6})\ : \ \Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i /4})][\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}) \ : \ \Bbb{Q}]$

So you have to compute $Irr(e^{\pi i / 6},\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}))$

Fallen Angel said:
Remember that $[\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/6},e^{\pi i / 4}) \ : \ \Bbb{Q}]=[\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}) (e^{\pi i/6})\ : \ \Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i /4})][\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}) \ : \ \Bbb{Q}]$

So you have to compute $Irr(e^{\pi i / 6},\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}))$

$e^{\pi i / 6}$ is a root of $x^6+1$, right?? (Wondering)

But how could I find $Irr(e^{\pi i / 6},\Bbb{Q}(e^{\pi i / 4}))$ ?? (Wondering)

Try to factor $x^{6}+1$.

Is the same idea when you factor it over $\Bbb{Q}$, but this time the coefficients of your polynomials are in $\Bbb{Q}(e^{ \pi i/ 4})=\{a+be^{ \pi i/4} \ : \ a,b\in \Bbb{Q}\}$.

This carries a lot of work, but I have no a better idea. :(

Yes, your work so far is correct. To find $[\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}, e^{\pi i/6}): \mathbb{Q}]$, we can use the fact that the degree of the extension is equal to the product of the degrees of the individual extensions. In this case, we have $[\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}, e^{\pi i/6}): \mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4})] = 2$ and $[\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}): \mathbb{Q}] = 4$, so $[\mathbb{Q}(e^{\pi i/4}, e^{\pi i/6}): \mathbb{Q}] = 2 \times 4 = 8$. Therefore, the degree of the splitting field $E$ is $[E:\mathbb{Q}] = 8$.

FAQ: Irreducible polynomial/Splitting field

1. What is an irreducible polynomial?

An irreducible polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with coefficients from the same field. In other words, it cannot be broken down any further.

2. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is the smallest field extension of a given field in which a polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors. It is also known as a root field or a decomposition field.

3. Why do we need splitting fields for irreducible polynomials?

Splitting fields are important because they allow us to factor irreducible polynomials, which cannot be factored within the original field. This is necessary in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How do you find a splitting field?

To find a splitting field, you first need to find all the roots of the irreducible polynomial. Then, you will need to adjoin those roots to the original field, creating an extension field which will be the splitting field.

5. Can a polynomial have multiple splitting fields?

Yes, it is possible for a polynomial to have multiple splitting fields. This is because there can be different ways to factor a polynomial, leading to different splitting fields. However, all splitting fields for a given polynomial will be isomorphic to each other.