Is 1, α, α², ..., αⁿ⁻¹ a Basis for ℚ(α)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter said
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, to show that the dimension of a rational vector space spanned by powers of a complex number α is at most n, we must show that the set of powers of α up to α^(n-1) is a basis of this vector space. However, it is not enough to show that this subset spans the vector space, as this does not guarantee linear independence. We must also show that this subset is linearly independent, which can be done using induction and the fact that P(α) = 0 for a polynomial of degree n.
said
Let α ∈ ℂ be a complex number. Let V = ℚ(α) be the rational vector space spanned by powers of α. That is
ℚ(α) = <1,α,α2,...>.
1) If P(t) is a polynomial of degree n such that P(α) = 0, show that dimℚ(α) is at most n.
Here is my attempt to solve this question. Please give me some feedback/corrections.

Since ℚ(α) = <1,α,α2,...> we know that 1,α,α2,... span ℚ(α).
To show that dimℚ(α) is at most n, we must show that 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 is a basis of ℚ(α).
To show it is a basis,
i) 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 must span ℚ(α)
ii) 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 must be linearly independent.For span:I would say that since 1,α,... spans ℚ(α) then 1,α,...,αn-1 spans ℚ(α) because its elements are in the set 1,α,...

For linear independence: I was thinking of using induction but I'm not sure how I should go about it.

As for P(α) = 0 I am not quite sure what relevance it has. It tells us that
P(α) = a0 + a1α + a2α2 + . . . + an-1αn-1 = 0
Perhaps it helps showing linear independence since we want 1,α,...,αn-1 to be written as
a0 + a1α + a2α2 + . . . + an-1αn-1 = 0 where a0 = a1 = . . . = an-1 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
smoha020 said:
Let α ∈ ℂ be a complex number. Let V = ℚ(α) be the rational vector space spanned by powers of α. That is
ℚ(α) = <1,α,α2,...>.
1) If P(t) is a polynomial of degree n such that P(α) = 0, show that dimℚ(α) is at most n.
Here is my attempt to solve this question. Please give me some feedback/corrections.

Since ℚ(α) = <1,α,α2,...> we know that 1,α,α2,... span ℚ(α).
To show that dimℚ(α) is at most n, we must show that 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 is a basis of ℚ(α). Mistake here.
To show it is a basis,
i) 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 must span ℚ(α)
ii) 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 must be linearly independent.For span:I would say that since 1,α,... spans ℚ(α) then 1,α,...,αn-1 spans ℚ(α) because its elements are in the set 1,α,... This reasoning is not correct.

For linear independence: I was thinking of using induction but I'm not sure how I should go about it.

As for P(α) = 0 I am not quite sure what relevance it has. It tells us that
P(α) = a0 + a1α + a2α2 + . . . + an-1αn-1 = 0
Perhaps it helps showing linear independence since we want 1,α,...,αn-1 to be written as
a0 + a1α + a2α2 + . . . + an-1αn-1 = 0 where a0 = a1 = . . . = an-1 = 0

Hello smoha. Welcome to MHB.

It is strange that you questioned had not been answered earlier. Probably because you hadn't used LaTeX. Check out the LaTeX forum of our site. It doesn't take much time to get started.

Now.

As for the first mistake, note that a spanning set for a vector space is not necessarily a basis.

The second one is a bit more serious. What you have essentially argued is that a subset of a spanning set of a vector space is a basis.
This is clearly not true.

I can walk you through the proof once you understand these mistakes.

I simply do not see the mistakes that you pointed out.

As for the first one, I don't see where I implied that a spanning set of a vector space is a basis.

For the second one, I only said that we must show that this subspace is a basis. I did not say it is a basis.

smoha020 said:
I simply do not see the mistakes that you pointed out.

As for the first one, I don't see where I implied that a spanning set of a vector space is a basis.

For the second one, I only said that we must show that this subspace is a basis. I did not say it is a basis.

The line where I pointed out the first mistake reads:

To show that $\dim_{\mathbb Q}\mathbb Q(\alpha)$ is atmost $n$, we need to show that $1, \alpha, \ldots, \alpha^{n-1}$ is basis.

The reason why I called this a mistake is that: To show that $\dim_{\mathbb Q}\mathbb Q(\alpha)$ is atmost $n$, we only need to show that $1, \alpha, \ldots, \alpha^{n-1}$ spans $\mathbb Q(\alpha)$.

May be calling this a mistake was a bit extreme. Forgive me for that.

Now for the second mistake.

You argue that since $1, \alpha, \alpha^2,\ldots$ spans $\mathbb Q(\alpha)$, so does $1,\alpha,\alpha^2,\ldots, \alpha^{n-1}$.

This to me sounds like: Since $S\subseteq V$ spans a vector space $V$, therefore $T\subseteq S$ also spans $V$.

Can you please elaborate on your reasoning so that I can understand your question better.

FAQ: Is 1, α, α², ..., αⁿ⁻¹ a Basis for ℚ(α)?

1. What is the definition of "Showing equality of dimensions"?

The term "Showing equality of dimensions" refers to the process of proving that two objects or systems have the same measurements or dimensions. This can involve comparing length, width, height, volume, or any other physical or mathematical dimensions.

2. Why is it important to show equality of dimensions?

Showing equality of dimensions is important in many scientific and engineering fields because it ensures accuracy and consistency in measurements. It allows for reliable comparisons and analyses of different objects or systems, and is essential for making precise calculations and predictions.

3. How do scientists typically show equality of dimensions?

Scientists use a variety of methods to show equality of dimensions, depending on the specific objects or systems being studied. This can include physical measurements using tools like rulers or calipers, mathematical calculations using formulas and equations, or advanced techniques such as laser scanning or 3D modeling.

4. What are some challenges in showing equality of dimensions?

One of the main challenges in showing equality of dimensions is the potential for measurement errors or discrepancies. This can be caused by human error, equipment limitations, or natural variations in the objects or systems being measured. Additionally, some objects or systems may have complex or irregular shapes that make it difficult to accurately determine their dimensions.

5. How does showing equality of dimensions relate to the scientific method?

Showing equality of dimensions is an important step in the scientific method, particularly in the observation and experimentation stages. It involves making precise measurements and collecting data, which can then be analyzed and used to support or refute a hypothesis. In this way, showing equality of dimensions helps to ensure the validity and reproducibility of scientific findings.