Is 2.00 g/cm^3 Equal to 2000 kg/m^3?

In summary, density is a physical property that describes the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is important in scientific measurements because it helps us understand the behavior of different materials and how they interact with each other. The most commonly used units of density are kg/m3, g/cm3, and g/mL, which differ in terms of their base units and size of measurements. To convert from one unit of density to another, a conversion factor can be used. The formula for calculating density is D = m/V, and it is used in various real-life situations such as determining buoyancy, understanding material properties, and in production and medical fields.
jsun.12

Homework Statement

My problem is to determine whether or not my conversion is correct.

2.00 g/cm^3 is = _______ kg/m^3

Homework Equations

If I'm not mistaken,

1 cm^3 = 0.000001 m^3
1kg = 1000g

The Attempt at a Solution

My equation:

2.00 g/cm^3 (1kg/1000g)(1cm^3/0.000001m^3)
= 2,000 kg/m^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jsun,

the conversion is correct.

ehild

thank you!

FAQ: Is 2.00 g/cm^3 Equal to 2000 kg/m^3?

What is density and why is it important in scientific measurements?

Density is a physical property that describes the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is important in scientific measurements because it helps us understand the behavior of different materials and how they interact with each other.

What are the common units of density and how do they differ?

The most commonly used units of density are kg/m3, g/cm3, and g/mL. These units differ in terms of their base units (mass and volume) and the size of their measurements. For example, 1 g/cm3 is equivalent to 1000 kg/m3, and 1 g/mL is equivalent to 1000 kg/m3.

How do I convert from one unit of density to another?

To convert from one unit of density to another, you can use a conversion factor. This is a ratio that represents the relationship between the two units. For example, to convert from kg/m3 to g/cm3, you can use the conversion factor 1 kg/m3 = 1000 g/cm3. Multiply the value in kg/m3 by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in g/cm3.

What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for calculating density is D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. This formula can be rearranged to calculate any of these variables, depending on what information is given.

What are some real-life examples of density and its importance?

Density is important in many real-life situations, such as determining the buoyancy of ships and submarines, understanding the properties of different types of materials (e.g. why some materials float and others sink), and in the production of various products such as cosmetics and food items. Density is also used in determining the purity of substances and in medical tests, such as measuring the density of bones to diagnose osteoporosis.

Back