Is a 2.126 Diameter A2 Tool Steel Shaft Sufficient for 2,500 ft/lbs of Torque?

In summary, a user is seeking guidance on whether a 2.126" diameter, 3" long shaft made of hardened A2 tool steel with a maximum peak torque loading of 2,500 ft/lbs is satisfactory. The suggested approach involves calculating the torque using the polar moment of inertia and the allowable shear stress for the steel. However, it is advised to also consider fatigue loading and consult resources such as Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design book or online tutorials.
Indiana Dave
Good folks, I need some guidance.

I have a shaft in a machine, hardened A2 tool steel- Rc 48-52 that is 2.126" dia., 3" long.

This shaft will see a maximum peak torque loading of 2,500 ft/lbs.

I am hopelessly mired in calculations I do not trust. Can someone weigh in? Is this shaft section satisfactory?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this approach:

Torque = J * allowable stress / radius

J = polar moment of inertia = 1/2 * PI * radius^4

allowable shear stress for tool steel - you will need to look up, but probably somewhere between 12 ksi to 20 ksi. If your tool steel is HRC, the yield may be much higher. See if you have MTR for the steel.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new here. i just came across this post.

edgepflow,no offence but won't that method account for only static loading?
You might have to go through the whole shaft design process (Free Body Force diagrams-->BM and shear force diagrams-->stress calculation using endurance limit etc.) for fatigue loading(cyclic stress) since it will be mounted in a machine. I'd refer to Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design book ISBN: 0−390−76487−6. To be honest i experienced MANY problems myself, when i designed my first shaft alone, so i know how it feels.

Related to Is a 2.126 Diameter A2 Tool Steel Shaft Sufficient for 2,500 ft/lbs of Torque?

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in rotational systems, such as engines, motors, and machinery.

2. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is distance.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system of units. In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to the rotational acceleration of an object. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration. Additionally, torque can change the direction of an object's rotation.

5. How can you increase torque?

To increase torque, you can either increase the force applied to an object or increase the distance from the axis of rotation where the force is applied. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a larger lever arm or increasing the size of the force-applying component.