Is a career in mathematics only for early starters?

In summary, it seems like the most important thing is that the person enjoys and is good at what they are doing.
momentweaver
I have read stories of "late bloomers" who retrain and manage to establish a successful career in other disciplines, but does it happen in mathematics, specifically in pure mathematics?

As an outsider, I don't really have much experience or knowledge of how things work in this discipline: the cliché I have in my head is that of kids who start early and are being put on extremely ambitious advanced programmes, but am not sure if this is the whole truth.

I know if someone started to learn the piano at the age of 14 they would have no chance of becoming a concerts pianist, but they could probably be a good jazz musician, composer, or teacher.
Is and early start of more importance in some areas maths than others?

Physics news on Phys.org
momentweaver said:
I have read stories of "late bloomers" who retrain and manage to establish a successful career in other disciplines, but does it happen in mathematics, specifically in pure mathematics?

As an outsider, I don't really have much experience or knowledge of how things work in this discipline: the cliché I have in my head is that of kids who start early and are being put on extremely ambitious advanced programmes, but am not sure if this is the whole truth.

I know if someone started to learn the piano at the age of 14 they would have no chance of becoming a concerts pianist, but they could probably be a good jazz musician, composer, or teacher.
I don't think being a concert pianist is the ultimate! unless you are over 30, I don't think age is that important. It is not the technique, it is in the heart. This is speaking from someone who play guitar for 10+years seriously...of cause when I was young and naive!:smile:
Is and early start of more importance in some areas maths than others?

Joking aside, the most important thing is you like it and enjoy doing it. I always encourage people to follow their heart. I discovered Electronics was and still is my calling at the ripe old age of 26 and I made a good career out of it. I was a senior engineer and manager of Electronic engineering before I retired. It is still my passion and I am still hanging around here studying PDE and EM. Don't let the age stop you. I jumped a lot of steps when I when into electronics. You be surprised a little common sense can make up so much short coming of lack of school knowledge. Now I am making up all the school work I missed! Still going strong at the age of 56!

Never say it's too late.

Last edited:
momentweaver said:

I think that's mostly 'cause the techniques won't be ingrained as autonomous actions quite the same way; it has to do with training muscles to automatically move such that the technique is great. Past a certain age, it gets harder to train the body to do certain things, 'especially those tasks that require lots of dexterity/flexibility. Classical playing relies on perfect technique to a much higher degree than jazz, composition, or teaching.

Math doesn't have any of that physical overhead; it's all mental. Mental plasticity is a different ball field than the physical stuff, and most studies say it's a lot more flexible, so you can learn new stuff even as you get older. The hardest part is training to think like a pure mathematician, but it may even be better to be an outsider in some ways so long as you know the conventions of the discipline.

Thank you for your replies

posted by story645:
Math doesn't have any of that physical overhead; it's all mental. Mental plasticity is a different ball field than the physical stuff, and most studies say it's a lot more flexible, so you can learn new stuff even as you get older. The hardest part is training to think like a pure mathematician, but it may even be better to be an outsider in some ways so long as you know the conventions of the discipline.

I am only at the start of my adventure with mathematics, and I think considering a career in it personally would be a bit far fetched at the moment, but wanted to know what is the reality of the profession, because currently it is all a bit mysterious to me and I am simply curious.
For example in some professions an early start is mandatory, in others completely irrelevant, so I was wondering where maths lies on the spectrum.

In a way I want to know if this discipline is more hermetic than let's say physics.

I will have a look through other threads on here.

posted by yungman:
I always encourage people to follow their heart. I discovered Electronics was and still is my calling at the ripe old age of 26 and I made a good career out of it. I was a senior engineer and manager of Electronic engineering before I retired. It is still my passion and I am still hanging around here studying PDE and EM. Don't let the age stop you. I jumped a lot of steps when I when into electronics. You be surprised a little common sense can make up so much short coming of lack of school knowledge. Now I am making up all the school work I missed! Still going strong at the age of 56!

Never say it's too late.

I am happy to have discovered this forum because it has made me aware that it is possible to take charge of your own learning in areas which I have previously presumed to be inaccessible if one missed out on a good maths education in secondary school.
It is a brilliant thing to have discovered :)

Happy Holidays

Related to Is a career in mathematics only for early starters?

1. Is it necessary to start learning mathematics at a young age to have a successful career in the field?

No, it is not necessary to start learning mathematics at a young age to have a successful career. While starting early may give individuals a head start, it is never too late to learn and excel in mathematics. Many successful mathematicians did not start learning until college or even later.

2. Can one pursue a career in mathematics if they have not always excelled in the subject?

Yes, one can pursue a career in mathematics even if they have not always excelled in the subject. Mathematics is a subject that requires dedication, hard work, and practice. With effort and determination, anyone can improve their skills and have a successful career in mathematics.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities one needs to have to succeed in a career in mathematics?

Some skills and qualities that are beneficial for a career in mathematics include strong analytical thinking, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and a love for learning. However, these skills can also be developed and improved upon with practice and experience.

4. Is a career in mathematics limited to academia or research?

No, a career in mathematics is not limited to academia or research. While these are common paths for mathematicians, there are also opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, and data science. Mathematics is a versatile field that can be applied to various industries and careers.

5. What are some potential career options for someone with a degree in mathematics?

Some potential career options for someone with a degree in mathematics include actuary, data analyst, statistician, financial analyst, software engineer, and operations research analyst. Additionally, a degree in mathematics can also lead to opportunities in education, government, and research. The possibilities are vast and varied for those with a background in mathematics.