Is a Double Major in EE and Math Realistic for a Transfer Student?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to transfer from a JC to a UC as a math major, and potentially double major in EE. They mention their desire to go to grad school for math, but not directly after undergrad due to concerns about debt and maturity. The speaker shares their plan to work as an engineer and save up before returning to grad school part-time. They also mention choosing EE over MechE for its current demand and math-heavy nature. The speaker has a 4.0 major GPA and is seeking advice on grad school and managing debt. They also discuss the option of getting paid to attend grad school in math, and the benefits of attending community college. The conversation ends with the speaker seeking further advice on their plans
johnqwertyful
I'm transferring from a JC to a UC as a math major this Fall, and was considering a double major in EE. I was originally planning on doing a minor in physics, but this I think is a bit more realistic.

I definitely want to go to grad school for math, but not directly after undergrad. For a few reasons. A) Some people leave grad school with literally a quarter million plus in debt. That scares the hell out of me. B) I'm 20 right now, I don't know if I'm mature enough yet for grad school. I study hard and have a passion for math and physics, but I don't think I'm on the level for a PhD just yet.

My plans are do the double major, work for awhile as an engineer and save up money/pay off any loans I had to take. THEN go back, maybe do a class a quarter or something while still working.

I have no illusions of it being easy, and I know it will probably take me 3 years at UC instead of 2. BUT it would be worth it, I think.

I'm choosing EE over MechE for a few reasons. A) EE is booming right now, and I see no end in sight. Things are getting more and more electronic. Hell, even something as simple as a toothbrush is electronic now. SOMEONE has to design that. B) It's the most math-heavy, or so I hear. I like that.

I have a 4.0 major GPA. Got As in calculus, linear algebra, physics, programming, econ. I bust my *** studying, and I know it's going to only get more difficult.

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grad school in math is free. In fact, they'll pay YOU to get the degree since you'll be working for them (doing research and/or teaching classes). It's not a lot, but most people don't have to take out loans in grad school in math or the sciences. But if you're not certain a PhD is for you, don't do it. Engineering can pay just as much as a math PhD, and you might only need a bachelors in it.

eri said:
Grad school in math is free. In fact, they'll pay YOU to get the degree since you'll be working for them (doing research and/or teaching classes). It's not a lot, but most people don't have to take out loans in grad school in math or the sciences. But if you're not certain a PhD is for you, don't do it. Engineering can pay just as much as a math PhD, and you might only need a bachelors in it.

I definitely definitely want to go to grad school, IF I can hack it. I'm taking some upper div stuff this fall. I haven't taken any real math yet, so I want to see how I handle the analysis and algebra and other stuffs. I'm taking analysis and number theory this fall. After the fall quarter, I'll know if I want to pursue grad school in math. Because from what I hear, lower div isn't an accurate representation of advanced math at all. That's the thing. I'm afraid of the debt, whether or not I can do it. Those are the two main things.

I've heard of people going to grad school getting paid as physics or chem or bio or more lab-oriented sciences, not so much for math unless you're really good and/or lucky.

johnqwertyful said:
I definitely definitely want to go to grad school, IF I can hack it. I'm taking some upper div stuff this fall. I haven't taken any real math yet, so I want to see how I handle the analysis and algebra and other stuffs. I'm taking analysis and number theory this fall. After the fall quarter, I'll know if I want to pursue grad school in math. Because from what I hear, lower div isn't an accurate representation of advanced math at all. That's the thing. I'm afraid of the debt, whether or not I can do it. Those are the two main things.

I've heard of people going to grad school getting paid as physics or chem or bio or more lab-oriented sciences, not so much for math unless you're really good and/or lucky.

When I was researching math grad schools, pretty much all of them offered financial support pretty much without exception. Most grad schools don't pay for Master's Degrees or only pay a few students. But, from what my research uncovered, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that you'd get support.

Also, good job for not wanting to go into debt! I did this for undergrad - and you are right - its hard, but well worth it because I don't have a pile of debt to pay off in my future.

Robert1986 said:
When I was researching math grad schools, pretty much all of them offered financial support pretty much without exception. Most grad schools don't pay for Master's Degrees or only pay a few students. But, from what my research uncovered, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that you'd get support.

Also, good job for not wanting to go into debt! I did this for undergrad - and you are right - its hard, but well worth it because I don't have a pile of debt to pay off in my future.

Interesting.

Yeah, I have to go into a little bit of debt for undergrad (not that much though), but if I do a double with engineering, it'll quickly get paid off. I also went to community college, which was an AWESOME decision. One of the better decisions I've made. I'm at the same place as everyone else now, just with less debt AND I appreciate more. No debt, it let me get my head on straight. I screwed around, didn't really do much for a bit, then took things seriously and transferred and now have a passion for math/science.

I think I'm going to do it, but do you have any advice? About engineering, math, handling both, transfer from JC to "real college"?

I'm super excited. I want to learn all I can.

Related to Is a Double Major in EE and Math Realistic for a Transfer Student?

1. What is a double major?

A double major is when a student chooses to pursue two different majors simultaneously. This means that they will graduate with two degrees, one for each major.

2. How does a double major differ from a minor?

A minor is a secondary field of study that a student can choose to pursue in addition to their major. It typically requires fewer credits and is not as extensive as a double major, which involves completing all requirements for two separate majors.

3. Can I double major in any combination of subjects?

In most cases, yes, you can double major in any combination of subjects. However, some universities may have restrictions on certain combinations or may require students to meet certain criteria in order to pursue a double major.

4. How do I decide if a double major is right for me?

Deciding to pursue a double major requires careful consideration and planning. You should research the requirements for both majors and determine if you have the time and resources to complete them both. It is also important to consider if a double major will benefit your future career goals and if you have a genuine interest in both subjects.

5. Will a double major make me more competitive in the job market?

Having a double major can make you stand out to potential employers as it shows a diverse range of skills and knowledge. However, it is not a guarantee for job success. What matters most is how you apply and utilize the knowledge and skills gained from your double major in your chosen career field.