Is a (hyper)sphere a (hyper)plane in spherical coordinates?

The John-Radon transform is a mathematical operation that involves integrating a function over certain sets of points. Therefore, it is not valid to generalize results from the John-Radon transform in curvilinear coordinates. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a sphere and a plane, as well as the validity of generalizing results from the John-Radon transform in curvilinear coordinates. It is clarified that a sphere and a plane are separate geometric objects, regardless of the coordinate system used. It is also stated that the John-Radon transform is a mathematical operation and cannot be generalized in curvilinear coordinates.
bers
Hi,
can I say that a sphere is a plane, because in spherical coordinates, I can simply express it as [itex]<(r, \theta, \varphi)^T, (1, 0, 0)^T> = R[/itex]? It does sound too easy to me. I'm asking because I'm thinking about whether it is valid to generalize results from the John-Radon transform (over k-planes in an n-dimensional space) to curvilinear coordinates. In the book I'm reading (Analytic tomography), a k-plane is the set of points x in ℝn with [itex]<x, u> = c[/itex], with c real and u any unit vector in ℝn. Clearly, R is real and [itex](r, \theta, \varphi) = (1, 0, 0)^T[/itex] is a unit vector in ℝn.

I believe the above is invalid because the dot product is expressed differently in spherical coordinates - is that already the answer?

Thanks
bers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Sphere" and "plane" are geometric objects and so completely independent of the coordinate system. They are not the same thing no matter what coordinate system you use.

Related to Is a (hyper)sphere a (hyper)plane in spherical coordinates?

1. What is a (hyper)sphere and how is it different from a (hyper)plane in spherical coordinates?

A (hyper)sphere is a geometric shape in three-dimensional space that is defined as the set of all points that are equidistant from a given point called the center. It is different from a (hyper)plane, which is a two-dimensional flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. In spherical coordinates, a (hyper)sphere is represented by a radius and three angles, while a (hyper)plane is represented by two angles.

2. What are spherical coordinates and how are they used to describe a (hyper)sphere?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance from the origin, an azimuth angle (measured from a reference direction), and a polar angle (measured from a reference plane). In the case of a (hyper)sphere, the radial distance is the radius of the (hyper)sphere, and the azimuth and polar angles determine the position of a point on the surface of the (hyper)sphere.

3. Can a (hyper)sphere be considered a (hyper)plane in spherical coordinates?

No, a (hyper)sphere cannot be considered a (hyper)plane in spherical coordinates. While they both have a similar representation in terms of angles, they have different dimensions and properties. A (hyper)sphere is a three-dimensional object, while a (hyper)plane is a two-dimensional object. Additionally, a (hyper)sphere has a constant radius, while a (hyper)plane extends infinitely in all directions.

4. What are some real-world examples of (hyper)spheres and (hyper)planes in spherical coordinates?

A real-world example of a (hyper)sphere in spherical coordinates is the Earth's surface. It can be represented by a radius (the distance from the center of the Earth to any point on its surface) and two angles (latitude and longitude). A (hyper)plane in spherical coordinates can be seen in the horizon, which is a flat surface that appears to intersect the Earth's surface at infinity. It can be described by two angles (azimuth and altitude).

5. How are (hyper)spheres and (hyper)planes related in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, (hyper)spheres and (hyper)planes are related by the fact that they both use angles to describe their position in three-dimensional space. However, they are different geometric shapes with distinct properties and dimensions. (Hyper)spheres are three-dimensional objects that are defined by a radius and three angles, while (hyper)planes are two-dimensional objects defined by two angles. Additionally, (hyper)spheres and (hyper)planes have different equations and are not interchangeable in calculations or applications.