Is \( A \) Isomorphic to \( \dfrac{R<X,Y>}{((X^2+1)X,(X^2+1)Y,YX)} \)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, $A$ is the set of all upper triangular matrices in $\Bbb C_{2 \times 2}$ with real entries in the 2,2 position. $f$ is an algebra homomorphism that is surjective and annihilates the set of generators of the ideal.
Fermat1
let $x=\begin{bmatrix}i&0\\0&0 \end{bmatrix}$ and $y=\begin{bmatrix}0&1\\0&0 \end{bmatrix}$.

Define $A={{\begin{bmatrix}a&b\\0&c\\ \end{bmatrix}}where c\in\mathbb{R}}$

Show that A is isomorphic to $\dfrac{R<X,Y>}{((X^2+1)X),(X^2+1)Y,YX)}$

My work: Define $f:R<X,Y>\implies A$ by $f(X)=x$, $f(Y)=y$, and define $f$ to be an algebra homomorphism. Things to do: Show $(X^2+1)X$ etc. are in the kernel, which I have done.

Show $f$ is surjective, which I haven't been able to do. Finally I would need to show those elements are in fact the whole kernel in order to invoke the first isomorphism theorem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused...is the domain of $f$: $\Bbb R[X,Y]$, or does $R$ refer to some other ring?

Also, you state that $c \in \Bbb R$, but what about $a,b$?

If indeed all the entries of elements of $A$ are to be real, then $x$, as you have defined it, is not in $A$, so your proposed homomorphism does not have the right co-domain.

What does the original problem actually state? I feel we are missing something, here.

a,b can be complex numbers and yes R is the set of reals. A is a set by the way, not a matrix

Ok, so $A$ is the set of all upper triangular matrices in $\Bbb C_{2 \times 2}$ with real entries in the 2,2 position.

Also, just to clarify, by $\Bbb R\langle X,Y\rangle$ you mean the non-commutative real polynomial ring in two indeterminates, right?

Also, you are taking:

$f(c) = \begin{bmatrix}c&0\\0&c\end{bmatrix}$, yes?

If that is so, then writing:

$a = a_0 + a_1i$
$b = b_0 + b_1i$

we have, for:

$M = \begin{bmatrix}a&b\\0&c\end{bmatrix} \in A$:

$f(c + a_1X + (c - a_0)X^2 + b_0Y + b_1XY) = M$,

which shows $f$ is surjective.

Frankly, I think that's all you need to show, because $R\langle X,Y\rangle$ is *free* in $X$ and $Y$, and $f$ evidently annihilates the set of generators of the ideal, so $A$ IS (isomorphic to) the quotient of the free $\Bbb R$-algebra on two letters modulo the ideal generated by the generating set (using the universal properties of free algebras and quotient rings).

I hope that makes sense to you.

Thank you for sharing your work and thought process. As a scientist, it is important to provide clear and logical reasoning for our conclusions. It appears that you have made some progress in establishing an isomorphism between $A$ and the given quotient ring. However, it is important to fully prove and explain each step to ensure the validity of the result.

To show that $f$ is surjective, we need to show that for any matrix $A$ in the form $A=\begin{bmatrix}a&b\\0&c \end{bmatrix}$ with $c\in\mathbb{R}$, there exists an element $r\in R<X,Y>$ such that $f(r)=A$. In other words, we need to show that for any $a,b,c\in\mathbb{R}$, there exists $r\in R<X,Y>$ such that $f(r)=\begin{bmatrix}a&b\\0&c \end{bmatrix}$.

To do this, we can use the fact that $f(X)=x$ and $f(Y)=y$. This means that any polynomial in $X$ and $Y$ can be mapped to a corresponding matrix in $A$. Thus, we can define $r=Xa+Yb$ and we have $f(r)=f(Xa+Yb)=f(X)a+f(Y)b=ax+by=\begin{bmatrix}a&b\\0&0 \end{bmatrix}$. This shows that for any $a,b,c\in\mathbb{R}$, we can find an element $r\in R<X,Y>$ such that $f(r)=\begin{bmatrix}a&b\\0&c \end{bmatrix}$, proving that $f$ is surjective.

To show that the elements in the kernel are in fact the whole kernel, we can use the fact that the polynomials $(X^2+1)X$, $(X^2+1)Y$, and $YX$ are all in the kernel. This means that any element in the kernel can be written as a linear combination of these polynomials. Furthermore, we can also use the fact that $f$ is an algebra homomorphism to show that any polynomial in $X$ and $Y$ that evaluates to $0$ under $f$ must also be in the kernel.

Related to Is \( A \) Isomorphic to \( \dfrac{R<X,Y>}{((X^2+1)X,(X^2+1)Y,YX)} \)?

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures, such as groups, rings, or vector spaces. It essentially means that two objects are structurally the same, although they may be represented differently.

2. How do we determine if two structures have an isomorphism?

In order to show that two structures have an isomorphism, we need to find a function that maps elements from one structure to elements in the other structure in a way that preserves the structure and relationships between elements. This function is called an isomorphism, and if it exists, we can say that the two structures are isomorphic.

3. Why is it important to show that two structures have an isomorphism?

Showing that two structures have an isomorphism allows us to make connections between seemingly different mathematical objects and understand how they are related. It also helps in simplifying complex problems and proving theorems by using the properties of isomorphic structures.

4. Can two structures have more than one isomorphism?

Yes, it is possible for two structures to have multiple isomorphisms. This means that there is more than one way to map elements from one structure to another while preserving the structure and relationships between elements.

5. What are some examples of isomorphic structures?

Some examples of isomorphic structures include the real numbers and the complex numbers, the integers and the rational numbers, and the group of rotations in three-dimensional space and the group of 2x2 matrices with unit determinant. These structures may look different, but they share the same underlying structure and relationships between elements.