Is a Matlab Textbook Necessary for Programming? Weighing the Pros and Cons

In summary, some people think it's unnecessary to have a textbook for learning Matlab, while others find it helpful. Whether it would be helpful for you is something you'll need to find out from your instructor.
recliningpanda
I'll be doing a programming subject where the first half will be spent on Matlab then the second half on C. It has a prescribed textbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495668079/?tag=pfamazon01-20 which solely focuses on Matlab programming.

With all the resources available on the internet, is it really necessary to have such a textbook? Then again it would be easier to have something condensed all in one book, rather than having to filter through web pages, tutorials, etc. Plus I could use it in later courses as a reference...but I'm still trying to justify the cost.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matlab has built-in documentation and tutorials/examples. Between that and Google, a textbook is not necessary for learning Matlab. Whether it would be helpful is another question. Maybe try to borrow a copy to see if it looks useful, before dropping $100 for something you might never use.

Forgot about the tutorials and documentation available on matlab. That makes a lot of difference. I think ill just try to borrow out a library copy.

Does the course have homework questions taken from the book? I had to have a book in C because of homework assigned from 'end of chapter questions'. My C++ instructor however said that "the information is free and out there, don't buy a book for my class", and he assigns programs to be written instead of questions.

Some instructors/professors organize their lectures and assignments strongly around the textbook, and refer to it often so that it becomes (at least) very inconvenient not to have easy access to the textbook.

Others use the textbook mainly for background reading, and as a source for homework assignments (end-of-chapter problems etc.)

Others use it only for background reading, and make up their own homework assignments.

You need to find out how your instructor is going to do things, if you're considering not buying the "prescribed" textbook.

I learned Matlab programming completely by using the online documentation and occasional googling. Toss your book in the trash (figuratively) and don't bother with it, it's very easy to learn. If you get stuck, you can always ask for help here on physicsforums.

Well, I took a MATLAB-oriented course with a proscribed text (written by a prof at my school), and I'll say to you what I said to my classmates: " I can't believe how hard it is to find good help with Matlab on the internet."

And it's true, the internet never produced good results and the official MATLAB page was no help either, and I am a master googler. Having that text as a reference really helped. (Mathematica otoh, I can just google it)

The only useful thing I found on the net for MATLAB were some cool Easter eggs.

Thanks everyone.

I decided to borrow out a copy from the library and read through it for the 2 week period I'll have it (since someone is bound to request my copy as I had to myself).

I don't think we'll be assessed through the book since I had a quick flick through it at the book store and it didn't seem to have many problems, rather examples.

Related to Is a Matlab Textbook Necessary for Programming? Weighing the Pros and Cons

1. Is a Matlab textbook necessary for learning how to program with Matlab?

It ultimately depends on your learning style and level of experience with programming. If you are new to programming in general, a textbook can provide a structured and comprehensive guide to learning the basics of Matlab. However, if you are already familiar with programming and just need to learn the specific syntax and functions of Matlab, a textbook may not be necessary.

2. What are the pros of using a Matlab textbook?

A textbook can provide a structured and comprehensive guide to learning Matlab, covering topics in a logical and organized manner. It can also include practice exercises and examples to reinforce learning. Additionally, a textbook can serve as a reference guide for future use.

3. What are the cons of using a Matlab textbook?

Textbooks can be expensive and may become outdated as Matlab updates and releases new versions. They can also be time-consuming to work through and may not cover all the topics or applications you may be interested in.

4. Are there alternative resources to a Matlab textbook for learning how to program?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, video courses, and forums available for learning how to program with Matlab. These resources may be more cost-effective and up-to-date than textbooks, and they often offer a more interactive learning experience.

5. Can I learn how to program with Matlab without using a textbook?

Yes, it is possible to learn how to program with Matlab without using a textbook. As mentioned, there are many alternative resources available, and you can also learn through hands-on experience and experimentation. However, a textbook can provide a comprehensive and structured approach to learning, which may be beneficial for some individuals.