Is a Photon Really Its Own Antiparticle?

• Thread starter exmarine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, a photon is its own antiparticle. This is possible because the particles that make up normal matter - electrons, neutrons, and protons - have an antiparticle counterpart that they annihilate with. However, photons are not matter or anti-matter, and so don't interact with other photons in the same way that matter and anti-matter do.
exmarine
I see that a photon is said to be its own anti-particle. How is that possible? For example, how is it consistent with the idea that a particle and its anti-particle annihilate each other leaving only energy?

PS. The links to other questions about this don't seem to answer the question, at least not in any way that I understand.

Science news on Phys.org
exmarine said:
I see that a photon is said to be its own anti-particle. How is that possible? For example, how is it consistent with the idea that a particle and its anti-particle annihilate each other leaving only energy?

There's quite a bit more to the definition of an anti-particle than whether it annihilates with its counterpart particle, and an annihilation reaction is not a required part of the definition - the wikipedia article is worth reading.
The particles that make up the normal matter around us (electrons, neutrons, protons) do annihilate with their anti-particle counterparts, so all normal matter will annihilate with antimatter - but that's not quite the same thing as saying that every particle must annihilate with its antiparticle.

exmarine said:
I see that a photon is said to be its own anti-particle.
It's better to say that the distinction between matter and anti-matter only applies to massive particles, while photons are neither matter nor anti-matter.

exmarine said:
For example, how is it consistent with the idea that a particle and its anti-particle annihilate each other leaving only energy?
This applies only to massive particles which are converted to photons during annihilation. Photons on the other hand can combine to generate massive particles.

Likes PWiz
In a sense, two photons do cancel, leaving only two photons--they pass through each other unchanged.

In terms of conserved quantities, when a particle and its antiparticle annihilate, what remains is energy, momentum, and spin.

A particle and its antiparticle have opposite sign in things like lepton number, baryon number, and electric charge. These quantities can all cancel leaving only light. Light has zero baryon number, lepton number and charge.

I believe that in a more accurate way, light doesn't interact with other light, because it has no conserved quantities to exchange. Someone might correct me on this.

stedwards said:
I believe that in a more accurate way, light doesn't interact with other light, because it has no conserved quantities to exchange. Someone might correct me on this.

Photons don't interact directly with other photon, this is, there is no Feynman diagram at tree level with a photon-photon vertex, however there is an effective interaction of four photons via a loop of charged particles, that is more or less the idea behind Euler-heisenberg lagrangian.

exmarine said:

what does "leaving only energy" means?, perhaps you can benefit from reading this insight post

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-energy/

It's just semantics, but I'd say a photon is its own antiparticle in the same way that 0 is its own additive inverse. 3 and -3 "annihilate" each other, leaving 0.

Consider an annihilation reaction of some massive particle-antiparticle pair.
There is a good probability that this will produce a pair of photons.
The inverse reaction will destroy the photons and produce a massive particle antiparticle pair.
This proves that a photon with spin +h is the antiparticle of a photon with spin -h and the same frequency.
The total energy of the photons needs to exceed at least the rest masses of an electron positron pair, otherwise the photon pair cannot be annihilated.

andresB said:
Photons don't interact directly with other photon, this is, there is no Feynman diagram at tree level with a photon-photon vertex, however there is an effective interaction of four photons via a loop of charged particles, that is more or less the idea behind Euler-heisenberg lagrangian.

Two-photon_physics

Related to Is a Photon Really Its Own Antiparticle?

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light and electromagnetic radiation. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light.

What is an anti-photon?

An anti-photon, also known as an anti-particle, is the antiparticle of a photon. It has the same properties as a photon, but with opposite charge.

Do photons and anti-photons interact with each other?

Yes, photons and anti-photons can interact with each other through a process called annihilation. When a photon and anti-photon collide, they can produce other particles and energy.

Can photons and anti-photons exist at the same time?

No, according to the laws of physics, only one particle can occupy a specific position at a given time. Therefore, photons and anti-photons cannot exist in the same place at the same time.

Why are photons and anti-photons important in particle physics?

Photons and anti-photons are important in particle physics because they are fundamental particles that make up the universe. They also play a crucial role in understanding the nature of light and electromagnetic radiation, which is essential in many areas of science and technology.