Is a Pin-Bar TEA Laser the Key to High-Pressure CO2 Laser Success?

• Thread starter reese houseknecht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, The pin-bar TEA CO2 laser was the first successful "high pressure" CO2 laser with a cylindrical bar serving as the anode and a set of pins serving as the cathode. However, it had a shortcoming in the output mode due to its wedge-like gain zone.
reese houseknecht
Now from reading wiki i understand there are Pin-bar and non pin-bar, non pin-bar is what people have moved to today with the spark gap. but i read that "These first 'Pin-Bar' TEA lasers, operating at around one pulse per second, were easy and cheap to construct. By operating at atmospheric pressure, complex vacuum and gas-handling systems could be avoided. They could produce MW peak powers of a few 100 ns duration". I also read that Pin-bar was more of an early model, and that in the pin bar laser one electrode took the form of a plain bar, and another a series of pins. I don't know if that will help you answering this but i want to construct one of these pin-bar lasers but can't seem to find anything anywhere. I see CO2 TEA lasers with spark gaps but i think that's non pin bar?

Science news on Phys.org
If I´m not mistaken, the pin-bar TEA CO2 laser was the first successful "high pressure" CO2 laser. The idea is quite simple; a cylindrical bar serves es the anode and a set of pins (simple resistors pierced through the envelope) make a "distributed" cathode. The pins were 1 cm apart and with a reliable spark-gap it worked quite well.
However, it had a shortcoming; the gain zone resembled a wedge with its apex on the pins and its "base" on the bar. Therefore, the output mode had a rather poor beam quality.

FAQ: Is a Pin-Bar TEA Laser the Key to High-Pressure CO2 Laser Success?

What is a "Pin-Bar" TEA Laser?

A "Pin-Bar" TEA (Transversely Excited Atmospheric) laser is a type of pulsed gas laser that uses a high voltage electric discharge to excite molecules in a gas-filled chamber. This excitation produces a short, intense burst of light in the form of a laser pulse.

How does a "Pin-Bar" TEA Laser work?

The laser works by using a pulsed high voltage electrical discharge to excite the molecules in the gas-filled chamber. This leads to the creation of a population inversion, where more molecules are in an excited state than in a ground state. When these excited molecules return to their ground state, they emit photons, resulting in a laser pulse.

What are the applications of a "Pin-Bar" TEA Laser?

"Pin-Bar" TEA lasers are commonly used for industrial and medical purposes. They can be used for material processing, such as cutting and drilling, as well as in medical procedures like laser eye surgery. They are also used in scientific research, such as in laser spectroscopy.

What are the advantages of using a "Pin-Bar" TEA Laser?

"Pin-Bar" TEA lasers have several advantages over other types of lasers. They can produce very short pulses, typically in the nanosecond range, which makes them useful for precise material processing. They also have high peak powers, allowing them to deliver a lot of energy in a short amount of time. Additionally, they are relatively simple and cost-effective to produce.

What are the limitations of a "Pin-Bar" TEA Laser?

One limitation of "Pin-Bar" TEA lasers is their relatively low repetition rate, typically in the range of 1-10 Hz. This means that they cannot produce a continuous beam of laser light and are better suited for pulsed applications. Additionally, they require a high voltage power supply, which can be expensive. They also have a limited range of wavelengths that they can produce compared to other types of lasers.

Back