Is a Progression a Series or a Sequence?

Series, on the other hand, is a sum of terms in a sequence. This means that a progression can be a type of sequence, but not all sequences are considered progressions. In summary, a progression can be used as a general term for a sequence, but it can also refer specifically to a series, which is a sum of terms in a sequence. Therefore, both terms are correct and can be used interchangeably in math.
Cheman
Sequences and series...

My textbook says that a progression is another name for a series, but the dictionary says it is another name for a sequence - which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
progression:
3. A continuous series; a sequence.
-The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

I think it is both.

A sequence is an ordered set of terms, {[itex]t_i[/itex]}
A series is a sum of terms, [itex]\sum t_i[/itex]

Mathworld defines a 'progression' as synonymous with 'sequence'.

PS : An English dictionary does not necessarily know the mathematical difference between a sequence and a series.

Last edited:
A series is a special kind of sequence.

if your sequence is x1, x2, x3, x4, x5...

then the series it produces is x1, x1+x2, x1+x2+x3, x1+x2+x3+x4, ...

which we can re-label as y1, y2, y3, y4, ...

and this is a new sequence.

so if a progression is a series, then it is automatically a type of sequence.

Also, there are arithmetic progressions, geometric progressions, and others. My idea of progression is any sequence, including the special sequence called a series.
Aaron

Related to Is a Progression a Series or a Sequence?

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects in a specific order. Each number or object in the sequence is called a term. The order of the terms is important and can be described using a pattern or rule.

What is a series?

A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. It is represented by the symbol ∑ (sigma) and can be finite or infinite. The terms in a series can be added in a specific order or according to a pattern.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. For example, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 is an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 2. A geometric sequence is a sequence where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. For example, 2, 6, 18, 54 is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 3.

What is the formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic sequence is:
an = a1 + (n-1)d
where a1 is the first term, n is the term number, and d is the common difference. This formula can also be written as:
an = a1 + (n-1)(a2 - a1), where a2 is the second term.

What is the sum formula for an arithmetic series?

The sum formula for an arithmetic series is:
Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term. This formula can also be written as:
Sn = (n/2)(2a1 + (n-1)d), where d is the common difference.