Is A Required to Have Orthonormal Basis?

In summary: R^2, I'd need to say something about e_1.In summary, the author writes a matrix with respect to a basis, but does not have to state what that basis is.
pivoxa15
If A*A=AA*

than A is a normal matrix. But does A must also have an orthonormal basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matrices don't have orthonormal bases. Vector spaces have bases, and any basis can be defined to be orthonormal with respect to some inner product.

Maybe I mean does A must also have columns which form an orthonormal set? If not than would they have to form an orthogonal set?

A matrix whose rows/columns are an orthonormal basis is one that satisfies XX^t =Id, the orthogonal matrices. If Normal were the same as orthogonal why would we define normal? Using this heuristic, we conclude they are different, so try to find an example. (These heuristics are not foolproof, but not unreasonable.)

I was a bit confused last night maybe what I was really trying to ask is, if A is a normal matrix than A can be written as a matrix T (with respect to B where B is an orthogonormal basis in R^n). The reason would be because of the spectral theorem. In fact from this theorem, T with respect to the standard basis in R^n is a diagonal matrix.
An aside question on wording, would 'for' be more appropriate to replace the word in bold?

Going back to what I was asking before and consider the second case. If a normal matrix form an orthogonal set than this would imply AA*=A*A=D where D is any diagonal matrix. But a normal matrix dosen't always have to have AA*=diagonal matrix. So the columns dosen't have to be orthogonal to each other either.

Last edited:
You can use either 'in' or 'for'. You cannot however use:

"If a normal matrix form an orthogonal set"

and you shouldn't say:

"AA*=A*A=D where D is any diagonal matrix."

It is 'a' diagonal matrix, not any diagonal matrix.

A matrix is something written with respect to a basis, by the way. The linear map it represents is what you ought to be talking about, or the matrices conjugate to A.

matt grime said:
A matrix is something written with respect to a basis, by the way. The linear map it represents is what you ought to be talking about, or the matrices conjugate to A.

The basis can be a set in R^n or do you mean a set of matrices in a (matrix) vector space?

The linear map depends on the basis in which the matrix is written in so the basis is very important.

When you write a matrix it comes with a basis attached: a matrix is written with respect to a basis. It appears your book is teaching you things backwards.

matt grime said:
When you write a matrix it comes with a basis attached: a matrix is written with respect to a basis. It appears your book is teaching you things backwards.

I have to admit my fundalmentals are poor. I just like to clear this matter up

People usually just write a matrix like

[tex]A=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
2 & 3\\
3 & 2
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

without giving any bases. But would you assume they are stating it with respect to the standard basis?

However, if they wrote the same matrix and said it was with respect to {(1,0), (1,1)} than it you could work out what that matrix is with respect to the standard basis in R^2 which turns out to be

[tex]A=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 0\\
3 & 5
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]Is that would you are getting at?

Last edited:
You have just said that A=/=A. A matrix is a matrix is a matrix. Just a set of numbers. You can't change the numbers in matrix and say it is the same matrix. It may be the same linear map but it is a different matrix.

The vector (1,0) means e_1 irrespective of what your choice of e_1 is, i.e. it just means 'your first basis vector'.

With the point you raised which was "When you write a matrix it comes with a basis attached: a matrix is written with respect to a basis." I assume you mean always?

What do you mean here?

I have try to formalise my previous post so as to make it more clear and to hopefully clear the confusions.

Assuming [tex]B=\{(1,0), (1,1)\}[/tex] and [tex]B_{o}=\{(1,0), (0,1)\}[/tex]

If
[tex]A=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
2 & 3\\
3 & 2
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

then
[tex]A_{B_{o}}=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
2 & 3\\
3 & 2
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
----------------------------------

If
[tex]A_{B}=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
2 & 3\\
3 & 2
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

then
[tex]A_{B_{o}}=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 0\\
3 & 5
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Last edited:
I know what you're attempting to say.

If I write down a matrix and say it is a linear map on a vector space I have implicitly assumed some basis. I don't necessarily have to say what one basis looks like relative to another. The matrix A above sends the basis vector e_1 to 2e_1 +3e_2. See, I've not said what e_1 is. Now, if I want to figure out how the linear map this is is written with respect to a different matrix I can. It would be really helpful if you just remembered that the vector (1,0) just means e_1, the first basis vector and didn't think it meant the unit vector in the x direction.

So the statement "When you write a matrix it comes with a basis attached: a matrix is written with respect to a basis." Corresponds to "If I write down a matrix and say it is a linear map on a vector space I have implicitly assumed some basis." only.

In other words
If
A matrix is a linear map on a vector space
then
It automatically comes with a basis.

What about the reverse
If
A matrix has a basis
then
It is a linear map on a vector space

But one does not always define a matrix to be a linear map on a vector space? So in those cases, matrices don't have to come with a basis.

Last edited:

Related to Is A Required to Have Orthonormal Basis?

What is an orthonormal basis?

An orthonormal basis is a set of vectors in a vector space that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a length of 1.

Why is having an orthonormal basis important?

Having an orthonormal basis simplifies many mathematical operations and calculations, particularly in linear algebra. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of vector spaces.

Is it necessary for a vector space to have an orthonormal basis?

No, it is not necessary for a vector space to have an orthonormal basis. However, it can be useful in certain applications and can make computations easier.

How do you determine if a set of vectors form an orthonormal basis?

To determine if a set of vectors form an orthonormal basis, you can check if the vectors are orthogonal (their dot product is 0) and if their length is 1. If both conditions are met, then the set is an orthonormal basis.

Can an orthonormal basis exist in a non-Euclidean space?

Yes, an orthonormal basis can exist in a non-Euclidean space. The concept of orthogonality and length can still be applied in non-Euclidean spaces, but the calculations may be different.