Is a Transition from Meteorology to Engineering Feasible?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Tone L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: I am really interested in climate engineering and the potential to remove emissions from the atmosphere. However, I am not sure if this is the right field for me. In summary, JakeBrodsky is considering becoming an engineer and is unsure if climate engineering is the right field for him.
Tone L
Hi all,

So I am considering becoming an engineer I guess, I love building things and enjoy using computers...Potentially an electrical engineer I like circuits and electricity in general but I also like fluids too.

I currently am a Meteorology & Atmospheric Science major. Also minoring in physics but I've surpassed the physics requirements already.

Entering my senior year here are some courses I've taken:
Chem (Two Semesters)
Calc 1-3
Diffy Eqs.
Prob and stats for scints and engineers
University Physics 1&2
Scientific Programing (python)
Modern Physics
Classical Mechanics
E & M (One semester)
Atmospheric Dynamics (Two semesters)
Atmospheric Physics Would it be possible to apply to a masters program in some sort of engineering with this background, I've talked to a few universities and they say I would have to take courses in the summer to catch up on certain things like no lab experience and other classes..

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends a lot on the school. You usually need to have some specific schools in mind and ask them.

There are some pretty light weight engineering programs out there who will let anyone in who has a 3.0 undergrad GPA and the $ to pay tuition.

Likes VoloD
I'm a bit more skeptical. Engineering usually goes well past the basics and into specifics such as statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, fluid dynamics, circuits, signals, and so on.

You will need to cover those undergraduate courses somehow. If you don't cover those courses somehow, a Master's degree in Engineering could quickly become incomprehensible.

Likes symbolipoint
Anthony LaRosa said:
Would it be possible to apply to a masters program in some sort of engineering with this background, I've talked to a few universities and they say I would have to take courses in the summer to catch up on certain things like no lab experience and other classes..
What discipline of engineering. Engineering is so specialized these days, and one seems to have taken some basic introductory courses that may be common to some undergraduate engineering programs, e.g., mechanical engineering with a specialty in fluid mechanics. However, one would likely have to take some upper level courses in specific areas to get up to speed with those who have obtained a dedicated BS program.

JakeBrodsky has identified some of the areas in which one would need some experience at the upper levels to qualify for a graduate program.

It would be best to determine which field on engineering if of interest, then look at the upper level requirements for a BS, as well as requirements from an MS.

Likes Tone L
You could definitely do a masters in some field of engineering but you may be required to take some undergraduate level remedial courses to make sure you have your bases covered.

-Matt

Likes Tone L
Go with it man, take the courses and get them over with. I've realized there's a lot of discouragement on this forum, so if you want to go for something; get on it, ambition is what counts, but if you want to listen to others and keep asking these questions that's up to you. Anyways good luck with what ever you decide!

Likes Tone L
Most places I am familiar with would require you to do a second bachelor, including internships and all.

You come from a scientific discipline to move to an engineering discipline on a subject where there's few similarities.

Climate engineering doesn't exist yet, so the engineering variant of your original major has limitations. You are really sure you want to give up on that subject? I mean, you tried that and you tried physics and you are sure they both aren't your thing?

Related to Is a Transition from Meteorology to Engineering Feasible?

1. Should I become an Engineer?

Deciding whether or not to become an Engineer is a personal decision that depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. It is important to research the field and understand the responsibilities and job opportunities available before making a decision.

2. What are the benefits of becoming an Engineer?

Becoming an Engineer can offer many benefits, such as a competitive salary, job stability, and opportunities for growth and advancement. Engineers also have the opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects that have a real impact on society.

3. What qualifications do I need to become an Engineer?

The qualifications required to become an Engineer vary depending on the specific field and position. Generally, a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field is required, along with relevant experience and licensure. Some positions may also require advanced degrees or specialized certifications.

4. What skills are necessary to be a successful Engineer?

Some essential skills for a successful Engineer include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong communication and teamwork abilities. Engineers also need to be proficient in math and science and have a solid understanding of technical concepts and tools.

5. Are there any downsides to becoming an Engineer?

Like any profession, there are potential downsides to becoming an Engineer. Some may find the work to be challenging and demanding, requiring long hours and tight deadlines. Additionally, the constantly evolving nature of technology and industry may require continuous learning and adaptation. However, many Engineers find the rewards and satisfaction of their work to outweigh any potential downsides.